When Adults Say....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Adults Say....

When adults say I respected my elders when I was your age...remind them back then it was still okay to whip the living crap out of kids.

When adults say when I was young we didn't sit around all night and play video games, remind them they had to stand around all night and play video games.

When adults say when in my day we didn't wear our pants around our butts, remind them that's because it would've interfered with the noble sweep of their bellbottoms.

When adults say years ago we didn't waste our nights staring at MTV, remind them they were too busy wasting time staring at the "multiverse" in their lava lamp.

When adults say in the old days we didn't spend all our time holed up in our room with the TV or computer, remind them their bedroom "entertainment system" consisted of a 14 inch black and white television and a transistor radio with an earpiece.

When adults say we didn't spend every single night reading about stupid celebrities, remind them Tiger Beat came out just once a month.

When adults say today's video games are pointless and dumb, remind them they spent two years of their life absorbed by the hair raising thrill of Pong.

Stolen from the current issue of Mad Magazine.....which is hilarious. I encourage you to see it!! Laughter makes you live longer. :)

Deo Vindice

I used to love my transistor radio.....Sunday nights if conditions were right I could get a station in from Chicago and listen to spooky stories......
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
      I used to love my transistor radio.....Sunday nights if conditions were right I could get a station in from Chicago and listen to spooky stories......
      My old 63 Dodge had a radio that would pickup KOMA Oklahoma City from Los Gatos (CA)!:))
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Remember those times very much! Used to have my lava lamp on while listening to my 8-tracks. If I recall...Andy Gibb was my favorite!!
        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
        sigpic

Comment

Never heard of a transistor. We had a console sized Philco radio in the corner that ran on vacuum tubes and capacitors. Rigged up wiring on our roof so I could pick up some short wave transmissions.

Didn't have a Lava Lamp. Flourescent was the newest thing out.

The only people who wore bell bottoms were in the US Navy (with 13 button flys).

When we finally got a TV, it was a 7-inch Motorola "Portable". It was called portable because it was the size of a suit case, designed to look like a suitcase -- with a handle but often required two people to get it up onto the table.

The closest thing we had to video games was at the penny arcade where we would "shoot" a machinegun from the top turret of a B-25 at enemy aircraft. If we got a hit, it would flash in red.

Pin Ball Machines were the rage then.

We had a 1939 Ford but weren't allowed to buy a newer one until the war ended.

Got plenty of fresh air and exercise chopping firewood for the winter (I still have that axe).

Instead of sledding down hills, building snowmen or snow forts, we had to shovel the sidewalks and driveways first.

Our science teacher was a firm believer that eventually we would land a man on the moon. Unfortunately it would be a one-way trip and wouldn't happen in our lifetime.

At least once a year we were quarantined in our homes during Polio outbreaks. Annual Smallpox vacinations were a requirement. So was Diptherea but they never found a preventive for measles and chicken pox.

It was interesting to listen to our elders talk as they often told about things they did before the Spanish American War -- or during it.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
          X