GOP may lose another Senate seat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOP may lose another Senate seat...

This would be huge, because we all know the NH GOV will NOT appoint another Republican to take his place. It looks like Franken is in, and losing Gregg's seat will put the GOP at 40, not enough to stop anything the Democrats want to do. The real question maybe: Is Obama doing this just to secure 60 seats in the Senate? Or is Gregg really his first choice?

GOP fights to keep Gregg in the Senate

By MANU RAJU & JONATHAN MARTIN

Republicans in Washington and New Hampshire are mounting a full-court press to keep Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.) in the Senate and out of the Obama administration, aides and senators said Friday.

But if he does take the Commerce secretary job, they want a commitment that New Hampshire’s Democratic governor will appoint a Republican senator so the party holds at least 41 seats, the minimum needed to sustain filibusters. No such commitments have been made, even as Granite State Republican sources tell Politico they are worried Gregg will take the cabinet job if offered by Obama.

“I think it would be a loss to the Senate of a great mind and somebody who I think we need a lot as we chart our way through economic challenge,” Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee told Politico Friday.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/18211.html
    America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Obama did say he wanted to appoint more Republicans to his Cabinet, but still Gregg wasn't his first choice it was Richardson. It is convenient to be sure but I don't know that Obama needs 60 Dem seats to break a filibuster. He's got the Bobbsey twins in Maine, Lugar, and Specter who would all be probably willing to cross the aisle for him.

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
      This would be huge, because we all know the NH GOV will NOT appoint another Republican to take his place. It looks like Franken is in, and losing Gregg's seat will put the GOP at 40, not enough to stop anything the Democrats want to do. The real question maybe: Is Obama doing this just to secure 60 seats in the Senate? Or is Gregg really his first choice?
      Gregg's only true Party affiliation is to Judd Gregg. He is commonly referred to as "the Senator from Washington (DC)." If the Republicans have to regard this as a great loss, they're already dead.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
        Gregg's only true Party affiliation is to Judd Gregg. He is commonly referred to as "the Senator from Washington (DC)." If the Republicans have to regard this as a great loss, they're already dead.
        Last Republican out of New England lock the door....
        Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
        ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

As the Emperors evil plan comes together. Did anyone see the 800 billion on the last page of the spending bill for a Death Star?

Never mind, he won't need it now.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
            As the Emperors evil plan comes together. Did anyone see the 800 billion on the last page of the spending bill for a Death Star?

Never mind, he won't need it now.
            I didn't see the total spending for the program, just some of the line items. And I am a bit concerned that some of the spending levels might not be justified.

For example, $1.3 Billion to change the shade of blue used in Death Star crew berthing from periwinkle to cornflower, and $580 Million to sponsor a contest to select "A Poem to be Read on the Occasion of the Launching of the Death Star," to be entitled "For the Children of Earth."

Comment

Actually, in fairness, I think that the Gov SHOULD put in a Republican in that seat (and I voted for Obama). The people of that state voted for a Republican. If Gregg is a moderate, the person should be as moderate as possible, but it should be a Republican.

Deo Vindice

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLawyer View Post
                Actually, in fairness, I think that the Gov SHOULD put in a Republican in that seat (and I voted for Obama). The people of that state voted for a Republican. If Gregg is a moderate, the person should be as moderate as possible, but it should be a Republican.
                I dont think it will matter. Politics is a dirty business. My man Hopey Kenopi may be tall enough to keep his head above it but anyone who gets that seat will be a vote on the stimulus if it's before that bill is served up in it's final form.
                It won't matter a Senator from Maine or McCain will return from the darkside and with 60 that will be the final chapter on the late 20th century conservative movement and how it got corrupted by the Sith post 1998

I would further like to point out the Evil Empire fell in Nov. No worries about a new Death Star like the 2002 stimulus and farm bills. Didnt you all see Dick Vader giving those interviews about the Boy King being right and his word still above the law?
                ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                  I would further like to point out the Evil Empire fell in Nov. No worries about a new Death Star like the 2002 stimulus and farm bills. Didnt you all see Dick Vader giving those interviews about the Boy King being right and his word still above the law?
                  It didn't fall, it just changed hands from the bumbleing Lord and his apprentice to the two that has the support of the senate, and thats really bad for the rebellion.:))

Comment

We could have a better NH Senator...

Considerably Friend,

I expect the Honorable Governor to do the Honorable thing upon the Senator's Senate confirmation.

:)
                    "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

This just goes to show how important state elections are. You never know when some one on your ballet gets to step up and make an important decision that can affect the whole country.
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Bailey View Post
                        Considerably Friend,

I expect the Honorable Governor to do the Honorable thing upon the Senator's Senate confirmation.

:)
                        The Republican Party in NH has long been in disarray. There are few well-known NH Republicans who would be able to do the job, but two come immediately to mind. Both were candidates in the recent 1st District Congressional race.

The former incumbent, Jeb Bradley, is widely considered a moderate. He is a nice guy, decent, smart enough to ask for help with the things he doesn't know, but comes across as kind of bland. He could have regained his seat (or not lost it in the first place) if the Republicans here still ran straightforward campaigns [they have sunk deeply into the realm of gimmicks and dirty tricks, heaping contempt on activists who attempt to run a "roll up your sleeves and get to work" kind of campaign].

The second, John Stephen, is a solid conservative, who has high-level experience in state government in both law enforcement and so-called "human services." Very bright guy, and would do well in any job. As I said, he is, personally, a solid conservative, but he is quite fair, and able to differentiate between his personal beliefs, and what laws and rules say. He is also sort of low-key, and comes across as more of a thinker than a firebrand.

Its hard to get a read on His Excellency, Governor Lynch. He is kind of low-key, himself.

Comment

Last Republican out of New England lock the door....
                          Aren't you supposedly a Republican?
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                            Aren't you supposedly a Republican?
                            I am from New England. I am part of the Republican Diaspora up here. The party is nothing like it was 30 years ago. Remember when Gerry Ford LIKED Unions and they weren't the root of all evil?
                            ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

And.......Roger

I am from New England. I am part of the Republican Diaspora up here. The party is nothing like it was 30 years ago. Remember when Gerry Ford LIKED Unions and they weren't the root of all evil?
                              Friend, I understand that comment completely.

I respect the diversity of opinion in the GOP.

I acknowledge the place & importance of your diaspora.

& I appreciate your partnership even when we disagree.

"Live Free Or Die"
                              "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

Working...
                              X