30-40 Krag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-40 Krag

My dad just picked up a model 1896 30-40 Krag from a guy at work...paid 175.00 for it....
    condition wise it's probly in 70%...normal wear and tear. The only thing that's not original is the sporterized front sight and there's no cleaning rod in the butt.
    Was wonderin if he made a good deal and what you guys thought of the 30-40 in overall performance.

Most of the ones I've seen for sale have been at least $500.00. I saw a beat up miserably sporterized Norwegian Krag at a gun shop and they wanted $225. (!)
    Sounds like he got a pretty good deal for the condition.
    Rule 303

Comment

Originally posted by TexasOutlaw
      My dad just picked up a model 1896 30-40 Krag from a guy at work...paid 175.00 for it....
      condition wise it's probly in 70%...normal wear and tear. The only thing that's not original is the sporterized front sight and there's no cleaning rod in the butt.
      Was wonderin if he made a good deal and what you guys thought of the 30-40 in overall performance.
      Dident we carry this in the Spanish-American War? Anyways, from what I read, it seemed pretty relible to the troops charging up San Juan Hill. Though it was not as good or accurate as the Mauser that the Spaniards had.

Comment

The Krag was a beautifully engineered and manufactured weapon, but it was based on an already-obsolete trap door mechanism...hence it's short service life.

I have no idea what they're worth now, but they are an interesting example of weapons development.

Comment

30-40 is a reasonably good deer cartridge, superior to the venrable 30-30. Krag actions are fascinating mechanical devices. I've seen one reloaded in 2 seconds. Pity the action of the bolt itself is slower than some others. I've got a Krag, and I think it is just plain cool!
          sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

The Krag has the smoothest bolt-action ever. My friends, who have only used hunting rifles there lives, worked the Krag action last weekend and said it was the smoothest action they had ever worked. The krag is a beautiful weapon.

Comment

Working...
            X