Kennedy drops Senate bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy drops Senate bid

With Caroline Kennedy having dropped her Senate bid, who do you think will likely be appointed to the NY senate seat vacated by Hillary Clinton? Andrew Cuomo's name is being thrown out there. Personally, I think Ted Kennedy's recent collapse gave her the cover she needed to withdraw, an excuse more or less perhaps because the writing was on the wall and another person was more favored by Gov. Paterson, or perhaps because she didn't feel she has what it takes. Regardless of the fact that I disagree with her ideology in general, I think she has very weak qualities not favorable to her being a politician.
    Kennedy cites 'personal reasons' for dropping Senate bid

(CNN) -- Caroline Kennedy has given up her bid for the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Hillary Clinton.

In a one-line statement citing personal reasons, the widely considered front-runner said Thursday she told New York Gov. David Paterson a day earlier that she was no longer interested in the job.

"I informed Governor Paterson today that for personal reasons I am withdrawing my name from consideration for the United States Senate."

The statement, provided by Kennedy's press person Stefan Friedman, was issued after hours of divergent reports Wednesday evening.

The 51-year-old daughter of slain President John F. Kennedy has been involved in education reform and women's issues, but she never has held public office and mostly has stayed out of the public spotlight.

"I would be an unconventional choice -- I haven't followed a traditional path, but I think I bring a lifetime of experience to this," she told CNN affiliate NY1 last month.

Clinton was sworn in as secretary of state in the new Obama administration on Wednesday, following her confirmation by the Senate.

Kennedy was widely considered the front-runner to replace the former first lady, who won the New York Senate seat in 2000, and almost all of the buzz about a replacement centered around her.

But as the weeks dragged on, polling showed her popularity among New Yorkers dwindling.

A poll earlier this month suggested that New Yorkers preferred Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, son of former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo, to Kennedy by several percentage points.

New York Reps. Carolyn Maloney, Kirsten Gillibrand and Steve Israel also have been mentioned as possible replacements for Clinton.

All three drew single-digit support in the January poll, which saw 31 percent of respondents favoring Cuomo and 24 percent preferring Kennedy.

Paterson is tasked with appointing a replacement until a new election is held in 2010. He told CNN on Monday that he was still undecided, but hoped to make a decision "in the next few days."

The news of Kennedy's withdrawal comes after her uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, suffered a seizure at a luncheon Tuesday after Obama's inauguration.

Doctors said the seizure was triggered by fatigue. Sen. Kennedy, 76, was diagnosed with brain cancer last May.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/...aws/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Thank God!

The Kennedy's are so out of touch with reality and the daily lives of the average person that they have no business in any level of government. Caroline Kennedy knows jack about what NYers go through outside of her Park Avenue penthouse.

Let's get Cuomo or Souzzi or anyone but Kennedy.

Comment

Well Gov. Patterson apparently made his choice:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232009..._ho_151502.htm

ALBANY - Gov. Paterson, defying the liberal wing of his Democratic Party, has chosen little-known, NRA-backed, upstate Congresswoman Kirsten Gillibrand to succeed Hillary Rodham Clinton as New York's junior senator, it was learned last night.

The surprising - and, for many Democrats shocking - decision to pick the conservative Gillibrand, 42, from Hudson in Columbia County, was disclosed by the governor in calls to party officials and some members of the state's congressional delegation, many of whom said they were unhappy with the selection, sources said
      Interesting.

Comment

NRA-backed
        Wow, that is surprising. I like this Patterson fellow.

But then again he instituted a "soda tax."

The 3 most important things in my life are:

1. guns
        2. taxes
        3. soda

So where are those reports and blogs about why Kennedy dropped out? How about some comedians making fun of Caroline like how Tina Fey made fun of Sarah Palin?

Why did Kennedy drop out?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
        X