Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baloch woman joins Pak Navy

By Mariana Baabar
    ISLAMABAD: Sanhia Karim has become the first Baloch woman to join the Pakistan Navy that now comprises a squad of around 53 women officers and 72 sailors.

"I was impressed by the medical camp at Omara and I observed that many of the technicians could not speak Balochi. It was then that I decided to join the Pakistan Navy as a female medical technician," Sanhia told The News.

At present, Sanhia is learning English at PNS Bahadur-a training institution in Karachi. With the passage of time, Pak Navy is attracting more women, after the country’s two other forces-Army and Air Force. Areas preferred by women in the Pak Navy include medical, sports, musicians, special branch, education and information technology.

Pakistani women sailors could now be seen playing bagpipes with their male colleagues, besides working in operation theatre, dentistry, radiology, laboratory, and as midwives. Many are participating in athletics and shooting.

According to information provided by the Public Relations director of the Pakistan Navy, the largest number of women joined Pak Navy in 1996-97 and by 2004 their number swelled. Similarly in 1996, there were 34 women sailors inducted as compared to 20 in 2004. "Right now I am very happy and highly motivated to get more of my friends from Balochistan to join Pak Navy," a radiant Sanhia said.
    http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/jan20...ain/main17.htm

(Please dont mind the source! )

Hawk_eye,
    I was under the impression that the Pak defence forces had woman in the medical corps of the three service since a long time. Since officer and OR families are also treated in military hospitals, the gynac wards would have had lady doctors, or maybe the army hired civilian lady doctors as per requirement.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
      Hawk_eye,
      I was under the impression that the Pak defence forces had woman in the medical corps of the three service since a long time. Since officer and OR families are also treated in military hospitals, the gynac wards would have had lady doctors, or maybe the army hired civilian lady doctors as per requirement.
      From what i know ACMH and MH are staffed by both male and female officers (doctors), however most tend to confuse the role of MH with a field hospital, the MH will afford service to members of all three branches of the military. Military Hospitals are staffed by AMC: Army Medical Corps Doctors, the nurses and peons are part and parcle of the establishment. From what i know very few civilians are allowed to hold posts in Military Hospitals here in Pakistan.

Comment

Working...
      X