Listen Now [4 min 24 sec] add to playlist

PETA website
    Enlarge

At PETA's Web site, users can create their own "sea kitten." peta.org

“I don't see fish as sea kittens; I see them as food.”

Chastity Haskins, 12

Web Resources

* PETA's Save The Sea Kittens Web Site

Day to Day, January 12, 2009 · "Sea kittens" is the new term being used by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, for the creatures they believe are in dire need of an image makeover: fish.

"PETA thought that by renaming fish sea kittens, compassionate people who would never dream of hurting a dog or a cat might extend that sympathy to fish, or sea kittens," PETA campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne says.

Byrne says that rebranding fish as sea kittens was obvious.

"Fish not only have the same ability to feel pain as a dog or a cat, but they also communicate with one another," she says. "They have complex social interactions; they form bonds; they express affection by gently rubbing against one another."

The PETA campaign boasts a colorful, interactive Web site aimed at children and their parents. It offers sea kitten bedtime stories and a design-your-own sea kitten in hopes it will build compassion in families.

"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," Byrne says.

Alaskan Resistance

PETA has so far only promoted the campaign in North Carolina but plans to take it nationwide, even to Alaska — a state where fishing is both a source of recreation and many families' livelihoods.

In the small fishing town of Unalaska, population just under 4,000, some people see the campaign differently.

"I don't see fish as sea kittens; I see them as food," says 12-year-old Chastity Haskins.

Haskins is looking at the PETA site with her friend, Harmony Wayner, 11.

"It just doesn't look right," Harmony says. Harmony, the fourth generation of a commercial fishing family, looks at the cartoon fish and reads through the information on the site. "They say that they're intelligent, but they're not really," Harmony says. "They have tiny, tiny little brains. Very miniature."

The girls also take issue with the claims that sea kittens are unhealthy to eat.

"They only talk about farm fish — it's not wild Alaskan, which is very good for you," Harmony says.

Sea-Kitten-Friendly Environments

"I don't understand how it makes sense," says fisheries observer Mary Powers, who works on fishing boats to collect data on the catches. She thinks the campaign, which encourages people to petition the Fish and Wildlife Service to stop the hunting of sea kittens, is misguided. "It seems like it's discouraging Americans to buy our product, which I think is unpatriotic."

But Byrne says that even if people lose jobs in the fishing industry through the success of the campaign, they could find work in more sea-kitten-friendly environments.

"So as there is less of a demand for foods like fish, there is more of a demand for other foods, and jobs open up in those industries," Byrne says.

National Marine Fisheries Service management biologist Brian Dixon doesn't see the change coming anytime soon.

"Well, it may raise some money for PETA, but I don't think it'll change the way we manage the fisheries," Dixon says. "I think I may eat some sea kittens tonight."

Anne Hillman reports for member station KUCB in Unalaska, Alaska.

Link- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99249669

I'd comment on this but I'm too busy wiping tears of laughter out of my eyes......
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Barking at the Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
      Barking at the Moon.
      Here kitty,kitty.....don't mind the filet knife....
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That reminds me

I'm out of fish sticks. Time to go shopping.

Comment

Grilling up some salmon while squeezing a lemon over it sounds realllllly good right about now.

Comment

Don't like fish much, but I do like the McDonalds fish sandwich with extra tartar sauce and extra cheese and more tartar sauce. Oh who am I kidding, just me give me a jar of tartar sauce and a spoon.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
              Don't like fish much, but I do like the McDonalds fish sandwich with extra tartar sauce and extra cheese and more tartar sauce. Oh who am I kidding, just me give me a jar of tartar sauce and a spoon.
              Hmmmm.....my black cat,Neo,also has an affinity for McDonald's fish sandwiches..... as according to PETA fish are kittens,does this make Neo a cannibal???This will require some serious pondering..........

Comment

Some people just might start eating fish if they were called "sea kittens."

What would a catfish be called? Cat sea kitten?
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Some people just might start eating fish if they were called "sea kittens."

What would a catfish be called? Cat sea kitten?
                  I am not a fan of fish. So thinking of them as something else may help me eat more fish.

Hmm... 'sea kittens' and chips for lunch anyone?

Comment

Peta can suck my toenails.

Space cadets the lot of them, I can't wait till the end of the world as we know it happens, and these morons starve to death .

Tony
                    Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Sea kitten or not, there's nothing better then Copper River salmon... :)

Comment

lol.
                        what is next? air puppy (birds).
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                          I can't wait till the end of the world as we know it happens, and these morons starve to death .

Tony
                          lol, no, those morons will become food.
                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

For some inexplicable reason, I find it disgusting to eat birds but I love fish especially after they have been marinated in spice and deep fried.....
                            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

mmm.. Bream

How about this... since Peta want to take one for the animals how about rather than i go fishing how about i hook a Peta member through the mouth and drag him/her through my neighborhood from the back of my car instead
                              The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Working...
                              X