PDA

View Full Version : Your custom PC

Ironduke
13 Jan 09,, 12:06
I'm not sure how many of you build your own PCs, I've been building them for myself and others since 2002. I'm not hardcore into it or anything, more of a casual thing.

One thing that I'm rather particularly picky about is the quality of my components. I find that purchasing a system off the shelf is not only more expensive, I also don't really know what I'm getting. I generally stay a six months or so behind the leading edge of computer technology when purchasing components, for financial reasons and this also has the benefit of being able to purchase proven hardware.

My custom PC:
Case: Antec 900 (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec%20900))
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299))
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 3.0Ghz / 1333Mhz FSB (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037))
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2X2 GB) DDR2 800 (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122))
Hard Drive: 160GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (Vista 32, SATA 1.5Gb) and 120GB 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar (XP 32, IDE 133)
Video Card: XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316)) (upgradeable to dual cards)
Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316)) & 16x Lite-On DVD-ROM
Power Supply: Thermaltake 420W ATX12v (link to very similar product (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023&Tpk=thermaltake%20430w))

Planned upgrades: Dual SATA 3.0Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 in a RAID0 configuration

Dark Sorrow
13 Jan 09,, 15:42
Impresive, prety impresive.
How much did it cost you?

gunnut
13 Jan 09,, 18:09
I have never used G.Skill memory. I've always gone with Mushkin or Corsair.

Be careful when going with RAID 0. When one drive goes, everything goes. And there will be added difficulty with imaging that drive or cloning that drive.

Try a Radeon 45xx video card, better performance and lower power consumption, at a slight cost premium.

Of course if you don't game then any video card, even the onboard, is plenty enough.

I was surprised to find out my 2.5 year old Geforce 7900 GTO is still adequate to play Left 4 Dead.

Ironduke
13 Jan 09,, 23:49
impresive, prety impresive.
How much did it cost you?
$500-550.

Ironduke
14 Jan 09,, 00:02
Try a Radeon 45xx video card, better performance and lower power consumption, at a slight cost premium.

Of course if you don't game then any video card, even the onboard, is plenty enough.
I'm a loyalist to the nVidia brand. I've just seen too many problems with ATI cards over the years.

The Radeon 4550 is an extremely weak graphics card. It cannot even match the GeForce 9500, and is a mere fraction capable of what the 9800GT is. Sites that benchmark cards don't even compare the two because they're in entirely different leagues. It is like comparing the latest dual core processors to an Intel Celeron. A fair comparison would be between the Radeon 4830 and the GeForce 9800.

erik
14 Jan 09,, 00:51
I'm a loyalist to nVidia also.

I've bought and customized computers from dell and they run good. They are obviously the gaming computers and I add a few things after buying the comp such as a power supply and an extra gig of ram.

My next comp, I plan on building a comp from scratch like yours through tigerdirect.com

Have any tips?

The comp I'm on now is a dell xps desktop with windows vista 32 bit, 3gb of ram, nVidia 8800GT, 320gb hard drive and a 700W power supply. So it might be a it before I complete my comp, but I plan to get a case a few minor things before I actually get a video card, sound card, ram, etc. etc.

Ironduke
14 Jan 09,, 00:57
I'm a loyalist to nVidia also.

I've bought and customized computers from dell and they run good. They are obviously the gaming computers and I add a few things after buying the comp such as a power supply and an extra gig of ram.

My next comp, I plan on building a comp from scratch like yours through tigerdirect.com

Have any tips?

The comp I'm on now is a dell xps desktop with windows vista 32 bit, 3gb of ram, nVidia 8800GT, 320gb hard drive and a 700W power supply. So it might be a it before I complete my comp, but I plan to get a case a few minor things before I actually get a video card, sound card, ram, etc. etc.
I'd go through NewEgg instead of tigerdirect. NewEgg generally has better prices and always has better customer service.

I can highly recommend the Antec 900. It's an awesome case. Not sure how much you're looking to spend -- I got mine for $65 used vs. $110-$140 new.

sappersgt
14 Jan 09,, 02:31
I'm looking to buy a desktop. Is 4G of memory enough for what you do and how much do think would be enough? I have 4 on my laptop but that was to load and run a separate operating system in memory, kind of wasted for WABing and email now.:rolleyes:

Ironduke
14 Jan 09,, 02:41
I'm looking to buy a desktop. Is 4G of memory enough for what you do and how much do think would be enough? I have 4 on my laptop but that was to load and run a separate operating system in memory, kind of wasted for WABing and email now.:rolleyes:
4GB is kind of standard now, and is dirt cheap. Memory from a quality manufacturer in that amount can be had for $30-$60.

I'd honestly recommend DIY on a desktop. They're fairly easy to put together, only downside is there's no warranty for the system as a whole, only individual warranties on specific parts. But then again, I'm very particular about every component that I put into my computer... companies like Dell, HP, etc. aren't.

gunnut
14 Jan 09,, 04:07
I'm a loyalist to the nVidia brand. I've just seen too many problems with ATI cards over the years.

The Radeon 4550 is an extremely weak graphics card. It cannot even match the GeForce 9500, and is a mere fraction capable of what the 9800GT is. Sites that benchmark cards don't even compare the two because they're in entirely different leagues. It is like comparing the latest dual core processors to an Intel Celeron. A fair comparison would be between the Radeon 4830 and the GeForce 9800.

HA!!! You're right! I was thinking 4850 that I priced out just 3 days ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

Still, if you don't game, even the onboard video card is good enough. If you do, go for a Radeon, for this generation.

I used to be an nVidia fan too, until I used a Radeon 9800 pro, which I flashed to be 9800XT. It was flawless. After 2 years, I gave it to my friend and he used it for another 2 years.

gunnut
14 Jan 09,, 04:10
I'd go through NewEgg instead of tigerdirect. NewEgg generally has better prices and always has better customer service.

I can highly recommend the Antec 900. It's an awesome case. Not sure how much you're looking to spend -- I got mine for $65 used vs. $110-$140 new.

Definitely use newegg. It's like 30 min drive from me and if I order before 11am and they ship the part out of their local warehouse, I can get it before sun down the next day. :))

Newegg's customer service is 2nd to none.

Ironduke
14 Jan 09,, 04:22
HA!!! You're right! I was thinking 4850 that I priced out just 3 days ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

Still, if you don't game, even the onboard video card is good enough. If you do, go for a Radeon, for this generation.

I used to be an nVidia fan too, until I used a Radeon 9800 pro, which I flashed to be 9800XT. It was flawless. After 2 years, I gave it to my friend and he used it for another 2 years.
The motherboard I have doesn't have a video card -- not really a matter of choice. :) I would prefer a motherboard not to have onboard graphics.

The 4850 is just a hair beyond my price point -- I would have gone for the 9800 GTX + for those dollars.

I actually found out that the board I bought doesn't support SLI, however -- it supports ATI Crossfire. Not a big deal though, as I don't plan on bridging two video cards in the foreseeable future. I'd rather have the spare PCI-E 2.0 slot available for something like a sound card.

gunnut
14 Jan 09,, 04:35
The motherboard I have doesn't have a video card -- not really a matter of choice. :) I would prefer a motherboard not to have onboard graphics.

The 4850 is just a hair beyond my price point -- I would have gone for the 9800 GTX + for those dollars.

I actually found out that the board I bought doesn't support SLI, however -- it supports ATI Crossfire. Not a big deal though, as I don't plan on bridging two video cards in the foreseeable future. I'd rather have the spare PCI-E 2.0 slot available for something like a sound card.

I used to abhor boards with onboard video...until I started to phase out my current rigs. Then it got expensive to maintain them as secondary machines for other uses like hand-me-downs for family and friends.

My current board supports SLI, and I bought it for this reason. Then I found out I don't have the budget for SLI. By the time I have enough money, it's obsolete.

I am considering this board with 4 RAM slots, onboard video with HDMI and DVI, no SLI/crossfire, and nVidia chipset for my new rig. Of course it will have to support overclocking for my uses. :biggrin:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131348

There will be no PCI-E sound cards. Maybe other things like video tuner or RAID controller, but no sound. Microsoft for some reason decided they will not support audio going through anything other than HDA bus in Vista.

bolo121
14 Jan 09,, 05:13
I am currently researching for my next machine, but mostly wont be able to buy it before july or august.
My last effort was back in November 2004, with various upgrades it now is
AMD 64 3200
2GB OCZ platinum DDR400
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
MSI Geforce 7600GS 512 MB
1x80 GB Seagate PATA
1x120 GB Samsung PATA
1x300 GB Seagate SATA
1x Samsing CDRW
1x Sony DVDRW
17" Samsung LCD
Antec Sonata 3 with Earthpower 500W PSU

So nowadays most parts that you can get in the US/EU are available here in Chennai with a bit of a price difference so wondering what both Indian and international wabbers would recommend for a casual gaming PC for about $900-1000 (Rs 40,000 to 50,000). Am especially wondering as to if i should go for Nvidia or ATI and if the P45 chipset motherboards are a good option.

captain
14 Jan 09,, 06:17
Ok, here is a quetion for the "propellor heads" :)

My friend and I are likely to start playing pubs and clubs as a duo.

Our backing tracks are produced using a sequencer before being converted to Mp3's.
To play the Mp3"s, I will puchase a laptop that will run a program called, On Stage Performer.
The laptop does not need all the bells and whistles except it must have 4GB ram so the mp3's don't glitch (embarrasing), a cd player/burner, the best sound card available and must be tough enough to survive the possibility of some klutz/drunk wandering amoungst our sound gear and tipping the laptop on the floor.

Millspec or or near millspec laptops are available that are mounted in rubber but are very expensive.

Is it possible to build or have one built that only contains the components that I want?

Cheers.

Ironduke
14 Jan 09,, 11:18
I am currently researching for my next machine, but mostly wont be able to buy it before july or august.
AMD 64 3200
2GB OCZ platinum DDR400
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1x80 GB Seagate PATA
1x120 GB Samsung PATA
1x300 GB Seagate SATA
1x Samsing CDRW
1x Sony DVDRW
17" Samsung LCD
Antec Sonata 3 with Earthpower 500W PSU

So nowadays most parts that you can get in the US/EU are available here in Chennai with a bit of a price difference so wondering what both Indian and international wabbers would recommend for a casual gaming PC for about $900-1000 (Rs 40,000 to 50,000). Am especially wondering as to if i should go for Nvidia or ATI and if the P45 chipset motherboards are a good option.
As said before, I can highly recommend the Antec Nine Hundred case. One thing I've really come to like with this case is the power supply going on the bottom of the case, it is really convenient as it more evenly distributes the cables in the case instead of them all being bunched together toward the top and being a pain in the ass.

You could though definitely re-use the case and dedicate the money saved toward more / better hardware. Probably the power supply as well.

As far as processors go, I'm sure you're aware that Intel has leapt about two light-years ahead of AMD. I think the e8400 is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment, but the i7s might become more competitive in price in the coming months. From what I understand, there aren't many programs that can fully utilize quad core processors at the moment so to me it seems to me to be a bit overkill, and in addition there are many aspects in which the fastest dual cores beat out the quad cores.

Things change so fast though I'd recommend checking back in July or August!;)

bolo121
14 Jan 09,, 11:34
Yeah i think i might wait and see how fast the i7s drop in price, and yes keeping the case is definitely an option.
My only reservation about the 900 is all those fans and the grills for them as i like as quiet a case as possible and those fans would be sucking in a lot of dust.

Ironduke
14 Jan 09,, 11:37
Yeah i think i might wait and see how fast the i7s drop in price, and yes keeping the case is definitely an option.
My only reservation about the 900 is all those fans and the grills for them as i like as quiet a case as possible and those fans would be sucking in a lot of dust.
It's actual rather quiet, it's specifically designed to be. Each fan has a little switch attached to the cable that allows you to turn them off as desired.

gunnut
14 Jan 09,, 18:23
Ok, here is a quetion for the "propellor heads" :)

My friend and I are likely to start playing pubs and clubs as a duo.

Our backing tracks are produced using a sequencer before being converted to Mp3's.
To play the Mp3"s, I will puchase a laptop that will run a program called, On Stage Performer.
The laptop does not need all the bells and whistles except it must have 4GB ram so the mp3's don't glitch (embarrasing), a cd player/burner, the best sound card available and must be tough enough to survive the possibility of some klutz/drunk wandering amoungst our sound gear and tipping the laptop on the floor.

Millspec or or near millspec laptops are available that are mounted in rubber but are very expensive.

Is it possible to build or have one built that only contains the components that I want?

Cheers.

Look up "Toughbook"...I forgot the manufacturer. It's either Panasonic or Toshiba. It's designed for industrial use and can take a good beating.

Just about any dual core processor should meet your technical needs. MP3s don't take a whole lot to run. The problem arises from the fact that modern laptop audios use the CPU for processing. It's fine unless the CPU has to do some other work. That's when glitches happen. A dual core proc should have more than enough to handle your program and run the overhead.

gunnut
14 Jan 09,, 18:33
As far as processors go, I'm sure you're aware that Intel has leapt about two light-years ahead of AMD. I think the e8400 is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment, but the i7s might become more competitive in price in the coming months. From what I understand, there aren't many programs that can fully utilize quad core processors at the moment so to me it seems to me to be a bit overkill, and in addition there are many aspects in which the fastest dual cores beat out the quad cores.

Or you can overclock a $100 e5300 to run at 3.45GHz :biggrin: I don't know what the clock ceiling of the Wolfdale core is, but it's probably close.

Things change so fast though I'd recommend checking back in July or August!;)

Rumor is Intel will cut prices at the end of this month.

All this computer talk makes me want to build another computer. My current rig is 2.5 years old...

Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.4GHz
1GB Mushkin DDR PC3500 (yes, an odd spec)
Abit (RIP) board...forgot the model
Soundblaster Audigy...something
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO
WD Raptor 36GB (the first Raptor)
Seagate 750GB
Seasonic 550W power supply
and an dusty old case that I like.

bolo121
14 Jan 09,, 18:47
thanks for the info ironduke. i will look into the Antec 900.
I lust after the P180 but its waaaaay out of my budget.

Shamus
14 Jan 09,, 19:06
Look up "Toughbook"...I forgot the manufacturer. It's either Panasonic or Toshiba. It's designed for industrial use and can take a good beating.Toughbooks are made by Panasonic and they are pretty rugged.The one I'm typing on right now had a cup of coffee spilled on the keyboard......solution?Pour clean water on the keyboard,set the computer on its side to let the water drain off,let it dry completely and you're good to go.Trust me,any laptop that can survive working with me is very durable.:rolleyes::biggrin:

captain
14 Jan 09,, 23:54
Thanks Gunnut and Shamus.

Yes I have had a look at the Panasonic Toughbook as a number of the reps that visit my business use them.
They certainly fit the bill as far as durability is concerned but sound reproduction is not their forte as they only have mono out.

I guess I'll just have to do some more leg work and check out what other muso's use.

Just as an aside, for practise we currently use a 16GB Ipod touch that plugs into the PA system and the sound is very good (stereo).
The Ipod is just an mp3 player though and is too slow and fiddly for public use.

Cheers.

gunnut
15 Jan 09,, 00:00
That's interesting. I didn't know Toughbook has mono audio.

Your only other option would be to find a 3rd party audio add-on for the Toughbook. The problem is the driver support (from Microsoft) will be poor. The manufacturer will not get Microsoft help in their drivers since the add-on will either go through the PCIe bus or the firewire bus. Microsoft will only support audio going through the HDA bus from Vista on.

Unless the new Toughbooks have a nice audio built-in...

TopHatter
15 Jan 09,, 00:10
If I had the money, I'd be contracting Ironduke to build me a sweet rig to replace my Dell, which is now in it's 4th or 5th year, albeit upgraded somewhat.

I'd dearly love to have a computer that, for once, doesn't come bloated to the gills with garbage I'll never need, use or want and doesn't cost a grand to boot.

captain
15 Jan 09,, 00:42
That's interesting. I didn't know Toughbook has mono audio.

Your only other option would be to find a 3rd party audio add-on for the Toughbook. The problem is the driver support (from Microsoft) will be poor. The manufacturer will not get Microsoft help in their drivers since the add-on will either go through the PCIe bus or the firewire bus. Microsoft will only support audio going through the HDA bus from Vista on.

Unless the new Toughbooks have a nice audio built-in...

According to the Toughbook web site they are mono unless in my techy ignorance, I have misunderstood.

I saw that Panasonic is due to bring out new models so I shall keep an eye on them.

Cheers.

Herodotus
15 Jan 09,, 01:14
Okay I got a question for all you computer tech guys. My Toshiba Satellite A215 laptop just decided to stop working. It can turn on, it just wouldn't boot up. I unplugged it, removed the battery, and plugged it back in without the battery and it booted up and worked for awhile. Then it stopped completely. i.e crashed. I think it is overheating but I am not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated; oh yeah I wouldn't recommend Toshiba Satellites it is the second time I have had a major problem with it (the first time I had to get the hard drive re-imaged because I accidently dropped it and it froze up) and it is less then a year old. It runs Vista, not sure if that matters or not.

Shamus
15 Jan 09,, 01:48
According to the Toughbook web site they are mono unless in my techy ignorance, I have misunderstood.

I saw that Panasonic is due to bring out new models so I shall keep an eye on them.

Cheers.Captain,this is the model that I use, ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/toughbook/specsheets/TB-30_ss.pdf I have never used it but according to the spec sheet it has a stereo out for headphones or speaker capability.

We have deployed a large number of these at work and have encountered hard drive failures with the 80 gig drives.Panasonic has supposedly corrected this problem.

sohamsri
15 Jan 09,, 02:02
Does anyone have an Alienware over here ?

I wish they shipped it to India, but they don't. :(

Ironduke
15 Jan 09,, 04:17
Okay I got a question for all you computer tech guys. My Toshiba Satellite A215 laptop just decided to stop working. It can turn on, it just wouldn't boot up. I unplugged it, removed the battery, and plugged it back in without the battery and it booted up and worked for awhile. Then it stopped completely. i.e crashed. I think it is overheating but I am not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated; oh yeah I wouldn't recommend Toshiba Satellites it is the second time I have had a major problem with it (the first time I had to get the hard drive re-imaged because I accidently dropped it and it froze up) and it is less then a year old. It runs Vista, not sure if that matters or not.
Could be overheating... since the Pentium 4s came out Intel processors have been programmed to shut down if there's overheating. Have you taken a can of compressed air and blown out all dust from the fans on the laptop? It would be a good idea to take out the parts that you can from the bottom and blow out any additional dust that might be clogged in there.

gunnut
15 Jan 09,, 18:12

When you say "stops working" do you still see the screen? Or does it go completely black?

Herodotus
15 Jan 09,, 18:17
When you say "stops working" do you still see the screen? Or does it go completely black?

I see the physical screen, but there is nothing on it. It is black. The power is on and then nothing happens; no boot-up menu, no Toshiba logo nothing. I called Toshiba's hotline and the guy wasn't very helpful. He told me it was probably the hard drive.

gunnut
15 Jan 09,, 18:44
I see the physical screen, but there is nothing on it. It is black. The power is on and then nothing happens; no boot-up menu, no Toshiba logo nothing. I called Toshiba's hotline and the guy wasn't very helpful. He told me it was probably the hard drive.

It's not the hard drive. If the hard drive fails, you will see BSOD as the operating system can't access data.

Ironduke has it right. Your laptop is probably overheating. When a computer overheats, it either shuts down due to a logic that protects the CPU by turning off power (older and not very sophisticated) or it shuts down because the board/CPU stops working properly.

After it shuts down, can you get it working again, even a short while, by waiting a few min? If so, then it's definitely a heat issue. A very cheap solution would be to get a laptop cooler. It's a slim pad that usually has 2 or 3 fans built in and powered by USB from your laptop. The gap it provides and the increased airflow from the fan can cool down the laptop considerably.

You can look for one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=319&Description=&Type=&N=2030260319&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&OEMMark=0&PropertyCodeValue=2768%3A17102

Herodotus
15 Jan 09,, 21:22
It's not the hard drive. If the hard drive fails, you will see BSOD as the operating system can't access data.

Ironduke has it right. Your laptop is probably overheating. When a computer overheats, it either shuts down due to a logic that protects the CPU by turning off power (older and not very sophisticated) or it shuts down because the board/CPU stops working properly.

After it shuts down, can you get it working again, even a short while, by waiting a few min? If so, then it's definitely a heat issue. A very cheap solution would be to get a laptop cooler. It's a slim pad that usually has 2 or 3 fans built in and powered by USB from your laptop. The gap it provides and the increased airflow from the fan can cool down the laptop considerably.

You can look for one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=319&Description=&Type=&N=2030260319&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&OEMMark=0&PropertyCodeValue=2768%3A17102

Thanks gunnut for the help. I think that answers the problem. You da man. :):biggrin::cool:

Ironduke
17 Jan 09,, 19:31
Pictures of the completed machine:

gunnut
17 Jan 09,, 22:10
Holy crap those are big fans on the front.

You know you can turn that thing into a nice space heater by running prime95...:biggrin:

Ironduke
18 Jan 09,, 02:35
Holy crap those are big fans on the front.

You know you can turn that thing into a nice space heater by running prime95...:biggrin:
The fan on top is almost half the length of the case.

I'd already run Prime95 on it... when the temp hit 90C I killed it.

gunnut
18 Jan 09,, 04:07
The fan on top is almost half the length of the case.

I'd already run Prime95 on it... when the temp hit 90C I killed it.

Ouch!!! What hit 90C? I don't think any part of my computer hit more than 70C running...anything.

Blue
18 Jan 09,, 04:59

It runs Vista, not sure if that matters or not. Hero, I've got a P205 Satellite and had all kinds of problems early on. Mine did the same as yours twice and I had to restore to factory and then get all the most important updates for vista. Mine gets very hot as well so I always make sure its clean and unobstructed. I even bought one of those little couch tables that they sell on TV for when I'm watching TV and typing, so as to keep the air moving. I haven't anything but startup problems lately but I think it was one of the updates causing it. Just a matter of tracking it down and getting rid of it. Hope that helps.

Herodotus
18 Jan 09,, 05:12
Hero, I've got a P205 Satellite and had all kinds of problems early on. Mine did the same as yours twice and I had to restore to factory and then get all the most important updates for vista. Mine gets very hot as well so I always make sure its clean and unobstructed. I even bought one of those little couch tables that they sell on TV for when I'm watching TV and typing, so as to keep the air moving. I haven't anything but startup problems lately but I think it was one of the updates causing it. Just a matter of tracking it down and getting rid of it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. It seems to be working now. Whenever I logged off I just put it in Hibernate or Sleep mode, never fully shutting it down. I don't know if that added to the overheating problem or not, so I shut it down for a day took off the back fixtures and blew out as much dust as I could. Powered it back on with just the battery, shut it down again, turned it on again then added the AC power.

So far so good, though I will have to get a stand or table for it. I thought it being a "laptop" that it would be okay just on a lap...silly me. :))

Blue
18 Jan 09,, 05:13
Sorry,

I just read your other posts. Mine did that once and I unplugged it and took the battery out for a while and it started then. Now when it sticks like that I turn it off with the power button and when it asks to do windows repair of start normally, I just start normally and it has always fired up on the second. I did the repair the first few times but got no help from it so I skip it now.

bolo121
18 Jan 09,, 06:05
Pictures of the completed machine:

I wantses it i wantses it the blue light is sooo shiny,...:eek::)):))

tim52
18 Jan 09,, 15:33
While I've built a couple of PC's in the past I recently decided to have a custom PC built from ibuypower. Although it was half again as much as what I would have spent if I purchased the components and assembled it myself it was still far less expensive than other custom machines I've looked at. All in all I'm very happy with the performance.

Case ( Tuniq 3 Gaming Tower Case Black )http://www.futurelooks.com/tuniq-3-mid-tower-atx-computer-case-review/
Power Supply ( 800 Watt Quad SLI Ready )
Processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (4x 2.83GHz/12MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
Processor Cooling (Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit )
Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Hard Drive ( Dual 500 GB HARD DRIVES [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive (LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/± )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit )

Ironduke
19 Jan 09,, 10:20
Ouch!!! What hit 90C? I don't think any part of my computer hit more than 70C running...anything.
It may have been a misread on the CPU. I've just run Core Temp for the past five or so minutes and it's been fluctuating in the mid to high 60s under 100% load running Prime95.

gunnut
19 Jan 09,, 18:18
It may have been a misread on the CPU. I've just run Core Temp for the past five or so minutes and it's been fluctuating in the mid to high 60s under 100% load running Prime95.

That sounds about right. New Intel processors shouldn't exceed 70C under full load. That Geforce 9800 might exceed 70C though. I think my 7900 does that under full load.

Stitch
19 Jan 09,, 18:29
Thanks gunnut for the help. I think that answers the problem. You da man. :):biggrin::cool:

My wife had the exact same problem with her POS Toshiba Satellite; it kept shutting down on her for no apparent reason. After sending it back to the factory once to have the HD replaced (under warranty, but it still took a month to get it back), we finally discovered it WAS overheating. An auxiliary cooling/fan pad helped, but we finally got rid of it and bought an Acer last year.

Stitch
19 Jan 09,, 18:34

I was gonna say, something should've fried at 90C; I think the hottest my AMD has ever gotten is 68C.

Castellano
19 Jan 09,, 18:56
Was it the CPU or the Tjunction in Core Temp that read 90C? Tjunction readings can be ignored with Core Temp.

Still, 70C at full load is pretty high, on the limit I would say. Not that it would necessarily create problems, but the cooler everything runs, the better it works.

I just like my PCs to run cool AND quiet. Not that easy but possible.

I'll try to gather info I have somewhere and was useful to me last time I built a PC.

Big K
19 Jan 09,, 19:08
i built this in may-08

Raidmax Ninja case
Thermaltake 750W power supply
Gigabyte P35 DSR3R motherboard
Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 2,5Ghz - 1333FSB processor
Kingston 4Gb DDR2 (2x 2Gb) Hyper-X 800Mhz rams
Seagate Barracuda 500GB - 7200rpm 32mb Cache HDD
MSI Nvidia 8800gt(512 bit) with Zytek Zalman Cooler Video card

as the operating system i am using a Vista Home(unfortunately i am too lazy to install Pro. version:biggrin:) with an upgraded application lock (2GB to 3GB) better for gaming.

gunnut
19 Jan 09,, 19:11
Was it the CPU or the Tjunction in Core Temp that read 90C? Tjunction readings can be ignored with Core Temp.

Still, 70C at full load is pretty high, on the limit I would say. Not that it would necessarily create problems, but the cooler everything runs, the better it works.

I'll try to gather info I have somewhere and was useful to me last time I built a PC.

70C is pretty standard for a modern processor under full load. Rarely does any CPU operate under full load for long. Prime95 is designed to run the CPU at full load for extended period for the "burn in" process.

"Cool and Quiet" won't work when a program calls the CPU to run at full load. It disables or cuts power to portions of the CPU not being used to reduce power loss and heat. It also throttles the CPU clock back to further decrease power use. AMD still rules the field of idle power consumption due to this feature and the maturity of its architecture.

Castellano
19 Jan 09,, 19:25
70C is pretty standard for a modern processor under full load. Rarely does any CPU operate under full load for long. Prime95 is designed to run the CPU at full load for extended period for the "burn in" process.

"Cool and Quiet" won't work when a program calls the CPU to run at full load. It disables or cuts power to portions of the CPU not being used to reduce power loss and heat. It also throttles the CPU clock back to further decrease power use. AMD still rules the field of idle power consumption due to this feature and the maturity of its architecture.

I have a Conroe, that's my most modern CPU. I assume the newer ones must run cooler.

I run Orthos Stress Prime 24hs and don't remember the exact figures, but I think it was max. 50C at full load in the entire test.

My cores rarely exceed 30C, and my PC is very quiet. Doesn't matter if the temp goes up, the fans won't accelerate.

payeng
19 Jan 09,, 19:27
Hi, I would like to know how much all your customised PC's score as per as Vista performance rating, I am new to Vista OS and my desktop is rather old, the performance rating my PC scores under Vista Ultimate is 2.2,

I remember assembling my PC some 4 years back my Desktop Configuration....
CPU: P4 3.0 Ghz
Motherboard: Asrock 775i65g
1 GB Kingston RAM (possibly DDR2)
Nvidia Geforce 6200 256mb AGP
Internal TV tuner card
2 x 160 GB Seagate or Bigfoot SATA HDD
1 x Sony DVD RW
17" Samsung CRT

Originally I am a fan of AMD 'cause it gives equilivent performance at lower cost.

gunnut
19 Jan 09,, 19:44
Hi, I would like to know how much all your customised PC's score as per as Vista performance rating, I am new to Vista OS and my desktop is rather old, the performance rating my PC scores under Vista Ultimate is 2.2,

Internal TV tuner card
1 x Sony DVD RW
17" Samsung CRT

Originally I am a fan of AMD 'cause it gives equilivent performance at lower cost.

Your video is the limiting factor. Vista score is bottlenecked at the slowest component. It doesn't matter how much performance your system has in other parts, the single slow part will kill your score.

I don't know my Vista score because I don't have Vista. :biggrin:

Castellano
19 Jan 09,, 19:45
Ironduke, there might (I said might) be issues with this mobo temps, maybe fixable with new BIOS, haven't looked it thoroughly but here it says somenthing:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=2202356&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ASUS+P5Q+Pro+

And anyway maybe it is worth to have a look at this in general:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=2194703&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ASUS+P5Q+Pro+

I used the Anandtech site to configure and tweak my system once I choose the mobo, and it went great. For me, I am even prepared to underclock to keep things cool, although I'm not doing it.

Castellano
19 Jan 09,, 19:47
No vista for me either. No way.

Castellano
19 Jan 09,, 20:13
Here is a great site if you want to keep things quiet:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

I'm not specially picky with noises, but spend a lot of time with PCs, and it does make a lot of difference if they are quiet. I specifically cannot stand those hateful little fans. No fans for my graphic cards, I'm not a gamer anyway. And BIG, SLOW fans for the rest of the system, and as few as possible.

Ironduke
19 Jan 09,, 22:00

I think it was tjunction... anyways I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro on the way:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&Tpk=arctic%20cooler%20freezer%207%20pro

Blue
20 Jan 09,, 01:25
I just downloaded SP1 for vista tonight. I didn't look when it came out but this is the first time it showed up on my weekly update check. Thought I would let you all know. I'll report any improvements or glitches.

Ironduke
23 Jan 09,, 22:48
I have a Conroe, that's my most modern CPU. I assume the newer ones must run cooler.

I run Orthos Stress Prime 24hs and don't remember the exact figures, but I think it was max. 50C at full load in the entire test.

My cores rarely exceed 30C, and my PC is very quiet. Doesn't matter if the temp goes up, the fans won't accelerate.
I just installed my Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7... with stock cooling at stock speed (9x333) the cores were idling at 48-50C and at 100% load were at mid to high 60s.

With the ACFP7 and an overclock from 9x333 to 9x400, idle temp has been reduced to 40-41C and and under 100% load is at 53-58C.

So overall, seems pretty good. Fairly quiet as well.

Ironduke
23 Jan 09,, 22:51
I just downloaded SP1 for vista tonight. I didn't look when it came out but this is the first time it showed up on my weekly update check. Thought I would let you all know. I'll report any improvements or glitches.
I'm currently running Vista SP1 (came that way on the CD), I haven't had any problems with it.

firestar
24 Jan 09,, 01:25

Hope the SP1 patch went well for you. Mine messed up my UI theme files and fortunately vista has system restore feature. The reason has something to do with my firewall and SP1 not wanting to coexist. So no SP1 for me as of now.:(

firestar
24 Jan 09,, 01:28

Internal TV tuner card
1 x Sony DVD RW
17" Samsung CRT

My machine puts out a score of 5.9 and its all good till windows 7 comes out...:cool:

Ironduke
24 Jan 09,, 05:07
My machine puts out a score of 5.9 and its all good till windows 7 comes out...:cool:
Processor (e8400): 5.6
Memory (2x2GB GSkill DDR2 800): 5.6
Graphics (XFX 9800GT): 5.9
Gaming Graphics (same): 5.9
Hard Disk: 5.5

Total score is determined by my HD, which is a 1.5Gb/s Seagate Barricuda 7200.9. Two or four 7200.11s (or 7200.12s) ought to push that to the max.

kuku
24 Jan 09,, 05:44
Internal TV tuner card
1 x Sony DVD RW
17" Samsung CRT

I have a PC from 2000.
Processor P-3 600 mhz
Motherboard: some Intel thing that works
Ram 64MB sdram
HDD:20GB
Compaq 15" monitor.
Some old JBL desktop speakers.
Windows 98

I got it in my second semerter in college, and it was not switched off till the 8th semester, never gave me any troubles, except that one time someone spilled a huge glass of a rum drink on the tower, the computer tower also served as the storing place for my ^%$ (inside it).

three years back asked a computer shop guy how much would i get if i was to replace it for a new one, he told me to go away he wont buy it for free, so i upgraded it with some second hand components into.

Processor P-3 600 mhz
Ram 512MB sdram(don't really need that much)
HDD:80GB X 2
Creative 5.1 Inspire M5300
Compaq 15" monitor.
Windows XP.

Primary usage of the PC is: MS Office/Internet/ p**n

Works fine, in two more years it will be a decade old, and it would have traveled more than 10,000km with me (have changed 3 cities in the last 5 years).

I bet its feeling ashamed on this thread though.

bolo121
24 Jan 09,, 05:59
A friend asked me for advise on a new machine for a bit of gaming (crysis warhead, CoD 5 etc) and some dvd ripping. Budget was about Rs 60K ($1220)
This is what i came up with off the top of my head. Any pointers?

CPU: C2D E8500/C2Q E8600
MB: MSI P45 Platinum
RAM: 3GB DDR2 1066 (Kingston)
GPU: Ati HD 3850/70 (budget allowing)
HDD: WD 500GB
ODD: any good dvdrwx2 (liteon/sony)
Card Reader Internal
Antec Truepower 500w psu
Antec 900 Case (thanks ironduke)
Microsoft wireless desktop
Samsung 22' widescreen LCD

firestar
24 Jan 09,, 06:28
Processor (e8400): 5.6
Memory (2x2GB GSkill DDR2 800): 5.6
Graphics (XFX 9800GT): 5.9
Gaming Graphics (same): 5.9
Hard Disk: 5.5

Total score is determined by my HD, which is a 1.5Gb/s Seagate Barricuda 7200.9. Two or four 7200.11s (or 7200.12s) ought to push that to the max.

Yup, I run my Vista 64 bit on a 10000 RPM WD Raptor. Rest of my data is kept on two 1TB 7200 RPM Caviars. The GeForce in a SLI also helps ;)

firestar
24 Jan 09,, 06:41
A friend asked me for advise on a new machine for a bit of gaming (crysis warhead, CoD 5 etc) and some dvd ripping. Budget was about Rs 60K ($1220)

Card Reader Internal
Antec Truepower 500w psu

Looks decent for the budget. Is he planning on any OCing?

firestar
24 Jan 09,, 06:59
I have a PC from 2000.
Processor P-3 600 mhz
Ram 64MB sdram
HDD:20GB
Compaq 15" monitor.
Some old JBL desktop speakers.
Windows 98

Tsk Tsk, :biggrin:

My laptop is a 1999-2000 model dell relic (which Im currently typing from) is a 900Mhz one which is almost in the same league. But I hang on to it faithfully because I couldn't bring myself to part with it after all the years of personal use.

So there there, you arent alone kuku :))

bolo121
24 Jan 09,, 07:16
Looks decent for the budget. Is he planning on any OCing?

Nah no overclocking when new...dont want to risk it.:redface:
We're neither of us experienced in OCing
Maybe after a couple of years when it would be older.

firestar
24 Jan 09,, 07:35
Nah no overclocking when new...dont want to risk it.:redface:
We're neither of us experienced in OCing
Maybe after a couple of years when it would be older.

Good idea. The reason I asked is last year I came across news that someone has OCed the E8600 to above 6GHz.
Will be an extreme setup for gamers of Crisis and COD though.

Edit: You could slap together two ATI radeons on a crossfire combo and get a 1080p compatible monitor to increase the gaming experience.

One more point... If there plans to add stuff later you might need a beefier PS, so he can invest in a 1KW power supply upfront like the PC power & Cooling ones.

Either choice is applicable only if he has extra cash. ;)

Ironduke
24 Jan 09,, 07:44

Card Reader Internal
Antec Truepower 500w psu
I'd go with the Samsung or LG burner DVD burner.

Here's what I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173

If you're going to go dual-core, get the e8400. e8500 and e8600 are a waste of money. For the first, you're paying $20 to get an extra 0.16Ghz, for the second, you're paying an $100 more to get an extra 0.33Ghz. I'd recommend the Seagate Barricuda 500GB 7200.11. The 7200.12 is fairly new and I'm going to wait a month myself to see if it's proves to live up to the 7200.10 and 7200.11 series... it has 500GB on a single platter, but for some strange reason they halved the cache from 32MB to 16MB.

Not sure how you're going to work in 3GB of DDR2 unless you go with 3 sticks of 1GB. You'd need four to get the DDR rate. If you plan to go with DDR2 1066, I'd go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

The P45 plat isn't exactly a popular board. The Asus P5Q Pro or the Gigabyte EP45 would be a better choice. I wish I'd gone with the latter rather than the former in building my computer, but it's too late now:

Asus P5Q Pro:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Gigabyte EP45:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

bolo121
24 Jan 09,, 07:58
Interesting stuff Ironduke.
I was thinking that with Intel cutting prices maybe the 8500 would come down to 8400 levels.
Here in India Asus's quality has been a bit suspect lately and their customer service is pretty dire.
Gigabyte has a good rep and so does MSI.
I read good things in online reviews of the P45 plat so i recommended it. Do you know what issues it has?
As to RAM we plan to use winxp pro 32 bit as usual so 4gb wouldn't be supported by the OS.

Sigh newegg.....i soooo wish we had an equivalent in India. I actually ordered stuff on it and had it shipped to my friends in California once, smooth and no problems.

Kansas Bear
24 Jan 09,, 07:58
Here's my antique:

Athlon 64/ 3000+;
Abit KV8, 1 Gig RAM,
Nvidia 6800,
120 GB MaxTor Drive,
Soundblaster Audigy

bolo121
24 Jan 09,, 08:05
Just buy the config mentioned above KB, antique problem fixed :)) :))

FluffyThoughts
24 Jan 09,, 10:26
Look up "Toughbook"...I forgot the manufacturer. It's either Panasonic or Toshiba. It's designed for industrial use and can take a good beating.

Just about any dual core processor should meet your technical needs. MP3s don't take a whole lot to run. The problem arises from the fact that modern laptop audios use the CPU for processing. It's fine unless the CPU has to do some other work. That's when glitches happen. A dual core proc should have more than enough to handle your program and run the overhead.

Totally agree. This eighteen-month old baby runs rings around the one I use at work. It's a 'Hello John, gotta' Toshiba?' Satellite. I have given up on desktops.

If the UoO (UK) offer me a contract extension then I'll be looking for a Quad-Centrino to replace by T7200 Pentium unit.

[Posted whilst listening to the first couple of tracks from "Hurt: Vol. I" on youtube. Don't ya' just love broadband...! :tongue:]

Tomluter
25 Jan 09,, 12:57
Buy it in March 2008. 5000yuan, almost $700.
e6550
2g ddr2
nv8600gts
160g
aoc 22' lcd
liteon dvd rw

Ironduke
26 Jan 09,, 07:53
Here in India Asus's quality has been a bit suspect lately and their customer service is pretty dire.
Gigabyte has a good rep and so does MSI.
I read good things in online reviews of the P45 plat so i recommended it. Do you know what issues it has?
Check out the reviews on the MSI board ($160):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130179

Much worse than the ASUS equivalent ($130):

The Gigabyte board I showed you supports SLI, not Crossfire, which may be an issue since you indicated you plan on buying an ATI card. (Damn, I wish I'd bought the Gigabyte).

If that's not an issue, the Gigabyte, I think, seems to be much more proven piece of hardware hardware with it's sky-high reviews and widespread popularity. MSI board = much lower # of reviews and ratings. Seems to have more problems.

The Gigabyte board has all the same specifications as the MSI Plat, with the addition of one extra PCI-E x1 slot, a newer audio chipset, supports DDR1333 w/o overclocking (whereas the MSI supports DDR1066, DDR1200 OC+), and two extra USB ports. And it's $25 less. The only advantage I see with the MSI board is that it has pretty impressive copper piping for heat transfer, probably runs cooler.

payeng
26 Jan 09,, 09:16
My first Desktop my father brought me was a: -

CPU 80386
Tower cabinet
mother board-??
RAM - 4 MB
16 bit sound card
2x(speed) CD-ROM - I remember it cost me around Rs. 6.5 k
1 x 270 MB HDD
1 x 3.5'' FDD
1 x 5.25'' FDD
14'' monochrome VGA display
Speakers- amplifered 2 channel
Some Epson Dot matrix printer
OS- MS-DOS & windows 3.11

This computer was assembled in 1994-95 when I was in fifth or sixth standard as my dad offered me to buy a computer of my choice, it cost to my dad around Rs. 70k:redface:, offcouse he never revealed my the exact price but he was shocked when he got to know about the price from the dealer.

Till date this configuration is preserved as a memory, but the printer is out (maybe some day I'll show my childrens how computers
used to be when I was a child :)))

My favourate game in that PC was Command & Conquer.

This PC was a mean machine(except that it was a mono) in my home town during that time(as PC's gained momentum in India only during the 90's). No net, no movies only music, games and print outs were in fame.

bolo121
26 Jan 09,, 09:53
Check out the reviews on the MSI board ($160):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130179

Much worse than the ASUS equivalent ($130):

The Gigabyte board I showed you supports SLI, not Crossfire, which may be an issue since you indicated you plan on buying an ATI card. (Damn, I wish I'd bought the Gigabyte).

If that's not an issue, the Gigabyte, I think, seems to be much more proven piece of hardware hardware with it's sky-high reviews and widespread popularity. MSI board = much lower # of reviews and ratings. Seems to have more problems.

The Gigabyte board has all the same specifications as the MSI Plat, with the addition of one extra PCI-E x1 slot, a newer audio chipset, supports DDR1333 w/o overclocking (whereas the MSI supports DDR1066, DDR1200 OC+), and two extra USB ports. And it's $25 less. The only advantage I see with the MSI board is that it has pretty impressive copper piping for heat transfer, probably runs cooler.

Looks like the gigabyte is the way to go. My local dealer also confirmed that its a very good board. The board only came to india in mid december 2008 so its very very expensive for now.
P45 plat is around Rs10,000 ($205) while the gigabyte P45 is Rs15000 ($308)
So I'll be waiting for now, as usually the price drops after the first 3 months.
A friend of mine might be going to the US for his company in march so i might ask him to get it for me.
As to Crossfire support, i dont plan on a dual card setup so i dont think it will be an issue.

payeng
26 Jan 09,, 12:37

Card Reader Internal
Antec Truepower 500w psu

* -price as per CHIP(magazine) January issue
**-price as pre techshop.in date-Today
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Processor------------Rs. 9,794**
MSI P45 Platinum Motherboard---------------Rs.10,641**
RAM----------------------------------------Rs. 3,560(appx.)*
I don't know the price for Ati HD 3850/70 but
Palit Randon HD 4830------------------------Rs. 8,729*
WD 500 GB----------------------------------Rs. 3,800 *
Sony EIDE (ATAPI) CRX320EE-B2 DVD Combo-Rs.1,195**
Cooler Master CM Media 260-----------------Rs. 8,200*
(not as beautiful as Antec 900 but got an supplied card reader)
or Cooler Master HAF 932--------------------Rs.10,200*
Microsoft Wireless Desktop-------------------$ 120.60(Rs. 5,880) @ AlwaysLowest.com
or try the Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard-----Rs. 4,188 **
or try the Logitech MX5500 Revolution KB+M--Rs. 9,995*
or go for any basic logitech or MS keyboard it for Rs. 500 will save money
Samsung I dont know but
ViewSoinic VA2226w 22" Rs 15,336*
better try for Dell LCD they are brilliant products

More over u can go with Logitech Attack 3
963291-0914 Joystick Rs. 1,193**

It would range starting from Rs. 61,755/$ 1260 (including Cooler Master CM Media 260, Basic KB @Rs.500) to up
Or U can try for AMD Athlon x2 EE4600+ for Rs. 4,480 it will save you some money.

These are price including VAT and credit card charges going for local vendors+without tax policy may reduce the cost further= more Gizmos fitted into the PC for the same:))

bolo121
26 Jan 09,, 13:32
Thanks for the info, Ive passed it all on to my friend.

gunnut
26 Jan 09,, 18:16
Stay away from MSI boards!!!

I have had 4 fail on me. One of them was dead on arrival. Every single one of them was switched to either Abit (RIP) or Asus. They are still running strong today.

I won't buy anything MSI ever again.

RadioPatrol
26 Jan 09,, 23:23
I dropped $2500 between Thanksgiving and New Year's

Major Black Friday Purchase

Cooler Master HAF (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&Tpk=cooler%20master%20haf) 280mm Top Case fan another huge on on the side
Case PICS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=11-119-160-S15%2c11-119-160-S02%2c11-119-160-S03%2c11-119-160-S04%2c11-119-160-S05%2c11-119-160-S06%2c11-119-160-S16%2c11-119-160-S07%2c11-119-160-S08%2c11-119-160-S09%2c11-119-160-S10%2c11-119-160-S11%2c11-119-160-S12%2c11-119-160-S13%2c11-119-160-S14&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16811119160&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=COOLER%20MASTER%20HAF%20932%20RC-932-KKN1-GP%20Black%20Computer%20Case%20With%20Side%20Panel %20Window%20-%20Retail)
Asus Striker Extreme II (http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=653&l4=0&model=2114&modelmenu=1)
Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041&Tpk=q9550%5c)
Crucial Ballistix (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148227) 6Gb DDR3 Ram (2x2gb + 2x1Gb)
Nvidia BFG GT 280 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143142)
Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium PCIe (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019)
OCZ 1000w PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341014&Tpk=ocz%201000w) (in case I decide to go SLI in the future, I only have to buy the 2nd Video Card ... not a PSU and VC)
2 Mirrored 500 gb Drives (for OS install - Raided @ the Hardware level)
1Tb Data Storage Drive
2 Samsung DVD Burners w/Light Scribe PATA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154)
After Christmas OWC had the Dell 24 Inch WFP (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Dell/S2409W/) for $280 Shipped

Running x64 Windows ..... and 32bit Win 7 Beta in a dual boot

RadioPatrol
26 Jan 09,, 23:25
4GB is kind of standard now, and is dirt cheap. Memory from a quality manufacturer in that amount can be had for $30-$60.

:biggrin:

DDR 2 is .....

DDR3 is still a little higher ;)

RadioPatrol
26 Jan 09,, 23:29
AMD 64 3200
2GB OCZ platinum DDR400
MSI K8N Neo Platinum

I ran a similar rig AMD 3000, 3 Gb Ram, Nvidia N6800GTX 256 ...

RadioPatrol
26 Jan 09,, 23:36

Asus has a feature on some of their Mobo's Now

ASUS EPU (Energy Processing Unit)
The ASUS EPU utilizes digitally monitor and tunes the CPU power supply with improved VR responses in heavy or light loadings.

Ironduke
31 Jan 09,, 21:47
I've added a 24" widescreen LCD monitor to my setup.... a Soyo Pearl DYLM24E6. It's ridiculously big, but was only $229. Took a bit of a risk though since this model doesn't seem too common or well-reviewed. But it does have the specs I was looking for, with a 1920x1200 resolution, 2ms GTG, 500 brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio (could be higher), 178° viewing ratio. No dead pixels.

bolo121
01 Feb 09,, 06:48
I've added a 24" widescreen LCD monitor to my setup.... a Soyo Pearl DYLM24E6. It's ridiculously big, but was only $229. Took a bit of a risk though since this model doesn't seem too common or well-reviewed. But it does have the specs I was looking for, with a 1920x1200 resolution, 2ms GTG, 500 brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio (could be higher), 178° viewing ratio. No dead pixels.

Keep on stimulating the economy there..:biggrin:

Ironduke, what speakers/audio card setup do you use to compliment your setup when watching dvds?

RadioPatrol
01 Feb 09,, 12:54

:eek:

I could have saved 80 bucks ........... :rolleyes:

Kommunist
01 Feb 09,, 19:18
I'm not sure how many of you build your own PCs, I've been building them for myself and others since 2002. I'm not hardcore into it or anything, more of a casual thing.

One thing that I'm rather particularly picky about is the quality of my components. I find that purchasing a system off the shelf is not only more expensive, I also don't really know what I'm getting. I generally stay a six months or so behind the leading edge of computer technology when purchasing components, for financial reasons and this also has the benefit of being able to purchase proven hardware.

My custom PC:
Case: Antec 900 (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec%20900))
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299))
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 3.0Ghz / 1333Mhz FSB (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037))
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2X2 GB) DDR2 800 (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122))
Hard Drive: 160GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (Vista 32, SATA 1.5Gb) and 120GB 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar (XP 32, IDE 133)
Video Card: XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316)) (upgradeable to dual cards)
Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R (link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316)) & 16x Lite-On DVD-ROM
Power Supply: Thermaltake 420W ATX12v (link to very similar product (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023&Tpk=thermaltake%20430w))

Planned upgrades: Dual SATA 3.0Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 in a RAID0 configuration

Aren't you having power supply inadequacy?:confused:
I had to upgrade to a 650W Coolermaster SMPS cos my dual 8800GTs wont run on a 450W SMPS:frown::frown:!!! You have 2HDDs as well !!:eek:

Kommunist
01 Feb 09,, 19:20
I dropped $2500 between Thanksgiving and New Year's

Major Black Friday Purchase

Cooler Master HAF (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&Tpk=cooler%20master%20haf) 280mm Top Case fan another huge on on the side
Case PICS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=11-119-160-S15%2c11-119-160-S02%2c11-119-160-S03%2c11-119-160-S04%2c11-119-160-S05%2c11-119-160-S06%2c11-119-160-S16%2c11-119-160-S07%2c11-119-160-S08%2c11-119-160-S09%2c11-119-160-S10%2c11-119-160-S11%2c11-119-160-S12%2c11-119-160-S13%2c11-119-160-S14&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16811119160&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=COOLER%20MASTER%20HAF%20932%20RC-932-KKN1-GP%20Black%20Computer%20Case%20With%20Side%20Panel %20Window%20-%20Retail)
Asus Striker Extreme II (http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=653&l4=0&model=2114&modelmenu=1)
Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041&Tpk=q9550%5c)
Crucial Ballistix (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148227) 6Gb DDR3 Ram (2x2gb + 2x1Gb)
Nvidia BFG GT 280 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143142)
Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium PCIe (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019)
OCZ 1000w PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341014&Tpk=ocz%201000w) (in case I decide to go SLI in the future, I only have to buy the 2nd Video Card ... not a PSU and VC)
2 Mirrored 500 gb Drives (for OS install - Raided @ the Hardware level)
1Tb Data Storage Drive
2 Samsung DVD Burners w/Light Scribe PATA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154)
After Christmas OWC had the Dell 24 Inch WFP (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Dell/S2409W/) for $280 Shipped

Running x64 Windows ..... and 32bit Win 7 Beta in a dual boot

Wickedddd.......... only if i had that kind cash to spare......:frown:

Ironduke
01 Feb 09,, 19:25
Keep on stimulating the economy there..:biggrin:

Ironduke, what speakers/audio card setup do you use to compliment your setup when watching dvds?
I've got a stereo plug to RCA audio cable hooking my computer up to a mini hi-fi system.

I plan to fully condense all my TV, music, movies into my computer system. More efficient and simple that way. That would mean getting a sound card and 5.1/7.1 surround speakers, a tv tuner with a remote, and an LCD desk mount arm that can swivel the monitor around for watching TV.

Ironduke
01 Feb 09,, 19:28
Aren't you having power supply inadequacy?:confused:
I had to upgrade to a 650W Coolermaster SMPS cos my dual 8800GTs wont run on a 450W SMPS:frown::frown:!!! You have 2HDDs as well !!:eek:
When I get a sound card, TV tuner, and RAID I'll have to order a new hard drive for the extra power requirement. Right now current supply is fine.

Andrey Egorov
03 Feb 09,, 15:28
Case: Thermaltake Armor Black (http://www.thermaltake.com/product_info.aspx?PARENT_CID=C_00000075&id=C_00000077&name=Armor&ovid=)
Motherboard: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel 965 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 1.83GHz / 1066Mhz FSB (overclocked up to 2,45 GHz) with Zalman 8500 cooler
Memory: Samsung 4GB (4X1 GB) DDR2 800
Hard Drive: 160 IDE Hitachi (XP 32, IDE 133, old crap), 320GB Hitachi (Vista 64) and 160GB SATA Hitachi, now replaced by 1TB Seagate Barracuda (360 GB left :)) ) and sent to Philips USB/eSATA-case
Video Card: ATI Radeon 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Optical Drive: Pioneer Black DVD+-RW
Power Supply: AcBel 550W ATX12v
Sound Card: E-Mu 1212M PCI (http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=9872)(love it), Line 6 GuitarPort (http://line6.com/guitarport/), Alesis Multimix Firewire8 (http://alesis.com/multimix8firewire) routes all into Tannoy Reveal 5A active monitors (http://www.tannoy.com/StudioDetail.aspx?pid=14&sid=33)

Planned upgrades: none, migrated to Lenovo Y530 laptop

http://www.thermaltake.com/db/pictures/modules/PDT/PDT060207001/200852111183564783.jpg
this howling beast cost me $2000 at the time, prices here are slightly higher than normal :)

Big K
03 Feb 09,, 16:35
i think the computer technologies are one of rare things that can unite different cultures.

gunnut
03 Feb 09,, 17:42
i think the computer technologies are one of rare things that can unite different cultures.

Oh yeah?

PC or Mac? :eek:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

:tongue:

Big K
03 Feb 09,, 21:33
Oh yeah?

PC or Mac? :eek:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

:tongue:

death to zionizt infidel mac!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ironduke
03 Feb 09,, 22:38
Now I'm looking to see if I can find a TV tuner card so I can use my 24" LCD as a TV as well... the technology to watch TV on a computer seems to be far from having been perfected. Most TV tuners seem to have very mixed reviews...

gunnut
03 Feb 09,, 22:43
Now I'm looking to see if I can find a TV tuner card so I can use my 24" LCD as a TV as well... the technology to watch TV on a computer seems to be far from having been perfected. Most TV tuners seem to have very mixed reviews...

I was looking at them last year when I wanted to build my own DVR. I think I found one around $70 that's pretty good.

The problem I noticed about my ISP is that the internet service always goes down before cable TV service. I would miss a lot more TV if I relied solely on my computer to watch my shows.

zraver
03 Feb 09,, 22:44
who uses PC's anymore?

my laptop is a Lenovo R61i

Product Specification:
General Platform Technology Intel Centrino
System Type Notebook
Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna, ThinkLight, Bluetooth antenna
Embedded Security Trusted Platform Module (TPM 1.2) Security Chip , fingerprint reader
Width 13.2 in
Depth 9.3 in
Height 1.4 in
Weight 5.3 lbs
Localization English
Windows Vista Certification Windows Vista Capable
Processor Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 / 2.1 GHz
Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
64-bit Computing Yes
Data Bus Speed 800 MHz
Chipset Type Mobile Intel GM965 Express
Features Enhanced SpeedStep technology, Execute Disable Bit capability, Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel 64 Technology, Intel Dynamic Acceleration
Cache Memory Type L2 cache
Installed Size 3 MB
RAM Installed Size 2 GB / 3 GB (max)
Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz
Form Factor SO DIMM 200-pin
Configuration Features 1 x 1 GB
Memory Specification Compliance PC2-5300
Storage Controller Type Serial ATA/IDE
Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-300
Storage Hard Drive 160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
Optical Storage Type DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - removable plug-in module
Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
Write Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD±R DL)
Rewrite Speed 16x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)
Card Reader Type 4 in 1 card reader
Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, xD-Picture Card
Display Display Type 14.1" TFT
Max Resolution 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
Widescreen Display Yes
Features Anti-glare
Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
Video Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA X3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0 ..... and the list goes on.

Ironduke
03 Feb 09,, 23:57
who uses PC's anymore?
People who want better hardware performance by a factor of two, three or more, given the same amount of cash, and don't have any use for laptop. :)

Ironduke
03 Feb 09,, 23:58
I was looking at them last year when I wanted to build my own DVR. I think I found one around $70 that's pretty good.

The problem I noticed about my ISP is that the internet service always goes down before cable TV service. I would miss a lot more TV if I relied solely on my computer to watch my shows.
If you have a coaxial cable plugged into the back of your computer, how do you lose TV when you lose internet?

gunnut
04 Feb 09,, 00:01
If you have a coaxial cable plugged into the back of your computer, how do you lose TV when you lose internet?

Nevermind...I was thinking watching a feed rather than watching TV.

Damn work distracting my WAB time.:biggrin:

bolo121
04 Feb 09,, 05:20
I've got a stereo plug to RCA audio cable hooking my computer up to a mini hi-fi system.

I plan to fully condense all my TV, music, movies into my computer system. More efficient and simple that way. That would mean getting a sound card and 5.1/7.1 surround speakers, a tv tuner with a remote, and an LCD desk mount arm that can swivel the monitor around for watching TV.

Sounds like an interesting plan. If i ever manage to move back home to bangalore i might try that.
I am looking to maybe get a reasonable 7.1 home theater with usb connectivity plus a 32' flatscreen tv for my family in bangalore, so they can watch dvds in comfort instead of on my mom's old laptop as they do now.
Fill an external hdd with divx files connect via usb and tada! comfy movie collection waching.

tankie
04 Feb 09,, 19:22
I was having trouble with my computer. So I called Jeffrey, the 11 year old next door whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him to come over..

Jeffrey clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem. As he was walking away, I called after him, 'So, what was wrong?

He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error.' I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, 'An, ID ten T error? What's that? In case I need to fix it again.'

Jeffrey grinned. 'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error
before?''

No,' I replied.

'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.'

So I wrote down: I D 1 0 T :frown: :biggrin: