Baseball Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Hall of Fame

Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice were elected today to the Baseball Hall of Fame:

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/ne...&vkey=hof_news

Henderson was in his first year of eligibility and was a nearly unanimous selection, whereas Rice was in his 15th and final year of eligibility for the writers' vote. I don't necessarily agree with the decision to vote Rice into the HOF.

If he wasn't good enough the first 14 years, why now? I think there is too much politicization of the vote where marginal players with big fan bases and media cheerleaders can lobby the voters. Anyway that is my own opinion, which doesn't matter since I don't get a vote.

Congratulations though to both Hot Dog Henderson and Jim Rice on a remarkable achievement.

And Gil Hodges is still not in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Just saw this

Rice didn't get in before for 2 reasons

1. He was not friendly to the media...until he bacame a media guy 3 years ago

2. His numbers got eclipsed...and then people realized the numbers were steroid induced. When people came to their sense they understood just how fearsome a hitter Jin Bib Ricew was.

BTW, think of this...from 1939 to 1989, 3 men played left field for the Red Sox...Teddy Ballgame, Yaz and Rice. 3 men over 50 seasons...all are in the hall.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Ricky "the showoff" Henderson. I will never forget the day he broke the major league steal record was also the day Nolan Ryan tossed his 6th career no-hitter, stealing his thunder.

Nolan Ryan, now there's a freak of nature. No one before and no one since could throw 97+ MPH, 9 innings a game, 30 games a season, for more than 20 seasons.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Nolan Ryan

Chuck Norris wears Nolan Ryan pajamas
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Just saw this

Rice didn't get in before for 2 reasons

1. He was not friendly to the media...until he bacame a media guy 3 years ago

2. His numbers got eclipsed...and then people realized the numbers were steroid induced. When people came to their sense they understood just how fearsome a hitter Jin Bib Ricew was.

BTW, think of this...from 1939 to 1989, 3 men played left field for the Red Sox...Teddy Ballgame, Yaz and Rice. 3 men over 50 seasons...all are in the hall.
            True but his numbers were not significantly greater than his own teammate Dwight Evans. Evans played more years than Rice but on average very close:

Evans averaged 91 runs, 30 doubles, 24 homers, 86 RBI, 86 BB, and a .272 average.

Rice averaged 97 runs, 29 doubles, 30 homers, 113 RBI, 52 walks and a .298 average. Evans had an edge in OBP while Rice had an edge in Slugging.

Evans's OPS was .840 while Rice's was .854, a slight edge for Rice. In runs created per game Evans has 6.2 to Rice's 6.0, a slight edge for Evans. However if defense is counted Evans has a clear edge over Rice in numbers (more putouts, higher fielding percentage) and awards (8 Gold Gloves to Rice's zero).

In the end Rice has a much higher batting average than Evans (.298 to .272)with nearly 800 fewer at-bats, so he did more with less. Anyway just my take. I think there are a few players in the Hall that shouldn't be there (like Tony Perez) but I don't get a vote.

One other thing, you mentioned Ted Williams, Yaz, and Rice as the LFers for the Red Sox over 50 years. But didn't Williams fight in WWII and Korea, and thus left the team. So who played LF for the Red Sox during his absences? I don't think they are in the HOF whoever he (or they) was. :)

Comment

lolll

Growing up I remember how amazing it was to find NOlan Ryan baseball cards :)

I remember going through my collection a few years ago to find that I had a Man Ram rookie card :))

Comment

Ryan wears "Catfish" Hunter pajamas

Comment

Working...
                X