Vista or XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista or XP?

I just picked up Windows Vista Ultimate not too long ago, and I have to say I'm rather impressed with it. My initial impression, anyways. Graphically it's one a whole new level over XP. Reminds me of the Mac OSs I've seen installed on some Apple laptops.

XP Pro has been remarkably stable for the 5 or 6 years I used it, so I've yet to see if Vista can match XP in stability. So, I've got my computer configured so I can go back and forth between XP and Vista just to stay on the safe side. What do you use, XP or Vista, and what are your thoughts on one or the other?
    Vista
    21.57%
    XP
    66.67%
    Both
    5.88%
    Other
    5.88%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Think X.P

I'm using VISTA and no pro but I've noticed no functional improvements and VISTA has had the disconcerting habit of locking up on me. Maybe something in my install went wrong but I've not been cued so. I'll lose what I've got and have to await windows restart.

Annoying and potentially dangerous. Hasn't happened for a little while. Undoubtedly, that comment has probably just cursed me.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Do you get the blue screen of death? The main reason I upgraded is because of the limitations on XP on memory... it can only utilize 3320MB on my system and I have 4GB.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Microsoft is getting ready to push Windows 7, so support for XP might begin to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
          Microsoft is getting ready to push Windows 7, so support for XP might begin to go away.
          I heard you can download a trial version, but no warranty or anything if your system crashes and burns.

I'm still using XP home edition (SP3), don't have enough ram on this machine to use vista, so I'll wait till I have to get a new PC and will get whatever is on the market at that time.

Tony
          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            Do you get the blue screen of death? The main reason I upgraded is because of the limitations on XP on memory... it can only utilize 3320MB on my system and I have 4GB.
            If your Vista OS is 32 bit then it cannot utilize the 4gb of ram. only 64 bit os of vista can use the 4gb of ram and beyond.
            It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Xp :)

Comment

XP is everything I want and need in an OS.

-dale

Comment

XP always XP.
                  Got vista on my dell laptop and hated hated hated it!
                  installed XP after the first week, smooth as silk since.
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Comment

xp ;)

Comment

My current (18-months old) Laptop [Dual-T7200] runs Vista-32 Pro. I have however knocked it down to "Classic", and switched-off the 3-D graphic options. The same set-up has been employed on XP and my (current) W2000 mail-server. [W2000/XP were both - officially - WinNT 5.X. Just like NATO's "Window-for-Workships...! ]

As a software-engineer, I understand that Window's NT is a failed micro-UNIX kernal. I have better performance on Linux, especially the Oracle/RHEL versions. I worry as well about the way MS Vista changed file-sharing ports, which killed Symantec's firewall when I first used my current machine.

So stick with W2000, which is still upgraded by Macro-Soft:

Don't waste resources on graphics if you do not need it. [My Laptop as 256Mb of VRAM with a +256MB shared option, yet I do not need to use it...!

Cut down the "Fluff"! [Did I just say that...!] Most people don't need fancy graphics to write an email, document, etc....

Don't upgrade your PC: buy a new one. I have hardware-in-spades! Hard-disks are important, so exchange them within different hardware-machines.

Use memory-sticks to ease data-transition and security. Have never used my DAT-III drive as-of-yet!

Use Firefox as your browser. It just seems right...!

Comment

XP which I thought was evil when it first came out.
                          Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                            XP which I thought was evil when it first came out.
                            Me too.

I stuck to windows 2000 pro until the end of 2002, it was XP SP1 that finally persuaded me to switch.
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Why go for either... why not DOS

I use XP myself and will continue to use it until I see something shinier (very important) that works just as well if not better.
                              Nulli Secundus
                              People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Working...
                              X