PDA

View Full Version : Vista or XP?

Ironduke
11 Jan 09,, 06:58
I just picked up Windows Vista Ultimate not too long ago, and I have to say I'm rather impressed with it. My initial impression, anyways. Graphically it's one a whole new level over XP. Reminds me of the Mac OSs I've seen installed on some Apple laptops.

XP Pro has been remarkably stable for the 5 or 6 years I used it, so I've yet to see if Vista can match XP in stability. So, I've got my computer configured so I can go back and forth between XP and Vista just to stay on the safe side. What do you use, XP or Vista, and what are your thoughts on one or the other?

S2
11 Jan 09,, 07:13
I'm using VISTA and no pro but I've noticed no functional improvements and VISTA has had the disconcerting habit of locking up on me. Maybe something in my install went wrong but I've not been cued so. I'll lose what I've got and have to await windows restart.

Annoying and potentially dangerous. Hasn't happened for a little while. Undoubtedly, that comment has probably just cursed me.:mad:

Ironduke
11 Jan 09,, 07:24
Do you get the blue screen of death? The main reason I upgraded is because of the limitations on XP on memory... it can only utilize 3320MB on my system and I have 4GB.

Johnny W
11 Jan 09,, 07:41
Microsoft is getting ready to push Windows 7, so support for XP might begin to go away.

toemag
11 Jan 09,, 08:39
Microsoft is getting ready to push Windows 7, so support for XP might begin to go away.

I heard you can download a trial version, but no warranty or anything if your system crashes and burns.

I'm still using XP home edition (SP3), don't have enough ram on this machine to use vista, so I'll wait till I have to get a new PC and will get whatever is on the market at that time.

Tony

Mohan
11 Jan 09,, 09:07
Do you get the blue screen of death? The main reason I upgraded is because of the limitations on XP on memory... it can only utilize 3320MB on my system and I have 4GB.

If your Vista OS is 32 bit then it cannot utilize the 4gb of ram. only 64 bit os of vista can use the 4gb of ram and beyond.

Mobbme
11 Jan 09,, 09:22
Xp :)

dalem
11 Jan 09,, 09:30
XP is everything I want and need in an OS.

-dale

bolo121
11 Jan 09,, 11:06
XP always XP.
Got vista on my dell laptop and hated hated hated it!
installed XP after the first week, smooth as silk since.

Tarek Morgen
11 Jan 09,, 11:13
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

tankie
11 Jan 09,, 11:13
xp ;)

FluffyThoughts
11 Jan 09,, 11:22
My current (18-months old) Laptop [Dual-T7200] runs Vista-32 Pro. I have however knocked it down to "Classic", and switched-off the 3-D graphic options. The same set-up has been employed on XP and my (current) W2000 mail-server. [W2000/XP were both - officially - WinNT 5.X. Just like NATO's "Window-for-Workships...! :eek: ]

As a software-engineer, I understand that Window's NT is a failed micro-UNIX kernal. I have better performance on Linux, especially the Oracle/RHEL versions. I worry as well about the way MS Vista changed file-sharing ports, which killed Symantec's firewall when I first used my current machine.

So stick with W2000, which is still upgraded by Macro-Soft:

Don't waste resources on graphics if you do not need it. [My Laptop as 256Mb of VRAM with a +256MB shared option, yet I do not need to use it...!

Cut down the "Fluff"! [Did I just say that...!] Most people don't need fancy graphics to write an email, document, etc....

Don't upgrade your PC: buy a new one. I have hardware-in-spades! Hard-disks are important, so exchange them within different hardware-machines.

Use memory-sticks to ease data-transition and security. Have never used my DAT-III drive as-of-yet!

Use Firefox as your browser. It just seems right...! :biggrin:

Debbie
11 Jan 09,, 14:41
XP which I thought was evil when it first came out.

bolo121
11 Jan 09,, 15:21
XP which I thought was evil when it first came out.

Me too. :eek:

I stuck to windows 2000 pro until the end of 2002, it was XP SP1 that finally persuaded me to switch.

Shiny Capstar
11 Jan 09,, 16:15
Why go for either... why not DOS:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I use XP myself and will continue to use it until I see something shinier (very important) that works just as well if not better.

Yusuf
11 Jan 09,, 16:45
XP for sure

n21
11 Jan 09,, 17:26
You guys saying there are "Operating System"s other than Mac?? :biggrin:

Shek
11 Jan 09,, 17:35
I'm jumping ship to Apple this summer.

Gun Grape
11 Jan 09,, 18:03
Why go for either... why not DOS:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I use XP myself and will continue to use it until I see something shinier (very important) that works just as well if not better.

I use XP.

I do have a Packard Bell 486 DX2-66 with 8 meg of Ram
that I run DOS 6.2. I use it to play Duke Nukem and Steel Panthers.

TopHatter
11 Jan 09,, 18:07
XP Pro! Had it for 4+ years and it's worked just fine for my purposes.

I had my HD wiped and reinstalled once about a year or so ago, with only a minimum reinstall, XP, Works and only a few other things.

It's amazing how much more room you have when that software-bloat is removed.

Oh yeah and not that it matters for this subject, but I got Firefox a few months ago

Parihaka
11 Jan 09,, 19:07
You guys saying there are "Operating System"s other than Mac?? :biggrin:

Apparently. That's what all those cartoons about people hitting their heads on screens are about.

Parihaka
11 Jan 09,, 19:07

Welcome to the light side Jedi.

Herodotus
11 Jan 09,, 20:06
I had XP on one laptop, but then got another laptop with Vista. I prefer XP, just easier to use.

My family used to have an Apple II+, and then I had a Laser 128 back in the day. I never warmed up to Mac though.

J`ve
11 Jan 09,, 20:33
If you're buying a new computer and it ships with Vista, stick with it. If not, use XP :)

32bit fully updated Vista and XP uses only 3gigs of memory. R
If you want to use more ram you need to switch 64bit Xp pro or Vista, but they are not stable in my experience and if you have 4gig ram on your computer and you run it with 32bit Windows, reduce your ram size to 3gig. that makes your computer far more stable.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/

Ironduke
11 Jan 09,, 21:05
If your Vista OS is 32 bit then it cannot utilize the 4gb of ram. only 64 bit os of vista can use the 4gb of ram and beyond.
Seems your right, Vista just recognizes 4GB of RAM but can't use it all.

Albany Rifles
11 Jan 09,, 21:15
Have XP on one computer and gfot a notebook with Vista loaded.

Hate Vista...LOTS of lockups.....and then they handed me a Vista system this week at my new job!:mad::mad::mad:

Bought my first Apple in 1985. Upgraded all the way until 1998 with Macs. Had to switch to the Dark side in order to support software for my wife's work.

Have had PCs ever since...and hate them. But we can not go Mac because of Mrs AR's work requirements. Its proprietary software which is designed NOT to work with MAC.

The head of their IT department is a turd.

Johnny W
11 Jan 09,, 21:17
Give me Linux or give me death. :)

bonehead
11 Jan 09,, 22:13

Welcome aboard! Before the switch jot down all the pc programs you are currently using and make sure Mac has a counterpart that suites you so there will be no rude awakenings.

Shek
11 Jan 09,, 23:28
Had to switch to the Dark side in order to support software for my wife's work.

Have had PCs ever since...and hate them. But we can not go Mac because of Mrs AR's work requirements. Its proprietary software which is designed NOT to work with MAC.

The head of their IT department is a turd.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

Blue
11 Jan 09,, 23:28
XP on the desktop. Have always liked it. After SP2, no problems.

Got Vista on our new laptop a little over a year ago and hated it! After about 40 updates and several months of frustration it works OK, but not fabulous. Still has start up hitches all the time and some compatibility issues. I wanted to throw it off and go to XP but was told by the manuf and all the tekkies that this laptop was designed for use with Vista only, no options.:frown:

And I have seen the dreaded blue screen 3 times on it and had to scrap EVERYTHING all three times to recover. THAT really pissed me off! Now I have a separate HD to back up everything.

Albany Rifles
12 Jan 09,, 14:25
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

Now you tell me! After we bought a new Dell last year!

Dang....:mad:

gabriel
12 Jan 09,, 14:38
Give me Linux or give me death. :)

Saves a lot of antivirus software if nothing else...

sohamsri
12 Jan 09,, 14:48
My laptop is installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (32) and PC with XP Black Edition.

I must confess that when Vista was released, I was hesitant to use it, and criticized it for every fault I could find.

After after using Vista throughout 2008, I like it better than any other Microsoft.

I have used leopard on my friends Mac...its awesome !
Would love to own a Macbook air one day :rolleyes:

gunnut
12 Jan 09,, 20:05

That is not a limitation of XP but rather a limitation of a 32-bit based operating system. XP64 can address more than 3 GB of RAM and Vista 32 is limited to 3GB.

If you run 64-bit system then you might run into some problem with compatibility with legacy programs.

Vista is supremely stable, when using programs written for it. The problems come from legacy programs that were written for older OSes, like Windows 98, or even some Windows 2k programs.

The problem for Vista was the rush to get it out the door. Many drivers were not perfected so the performance was poor.

Of course Vista requires much more overhead to run well. But if it has the necessary overhead then it runs very well.

I run XP now since my computer is old (2.5 years). I normally run an operating system that's 1 generation behind just for all the bugs to be worked out. I am in no hurry for the latest eye candy.

Blue
13 Jan 09,, 01:56
Vista is supremely stable, when using programs written for it. The problems come from legacy programs that were written for older OSes, like Windows 98, or even some Windows 2k programs.

The problem for Vista was the rush to get it out the door. Many drivers were not perfected so the performance was poor.

Of course Vista requires much more overhead to run well. But if it has the necessary overhead then it runs very well. Have noticed and learned this. Absolutely agree with you here. Good info.

GraniteForge
13 Jan 09,, 02:32
I use both XP and 98SE, and don't really like either one. Every bloated new iteration of Windows adds automatic features that I have waste time figuring out how to disable. XP is significantly more stable than earlier versions, and its easier to reload, which I have to do every six months or so, no matter which version of Windows I use. I don't intend to ever install Vista on a personally owned machine.

PanSonic
15 Jan 09,, 08:11
XP for sure.
Wait for Windows 7, should be much better then XP.

Ironduke
15 Jan 09,, 09:59
I use both XP and 98SE, and don't really like either one. Every bloated new iteration of Windows adds automatic features that I have waste time figuring out how to disable. XP is significantly more stable than earlier versions, and its easier to reload, which I have to do every six months or so, no matter which version of Windows I use. I don't intend to ever install Vista on a personally owned machine.
XP can be leaned up a bit.

You can go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and disable many of the following listed here:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Ironduke
15 Jan 09,, 10:01
That is not a limitation of XP but rather a limitation of a 32-bit based operating system. XP64 can address more than 3 GB of RAM and Vista 32 is limited to 3GB.

If you run 64-bit system then you might run into some problem with compatibility with legacy programs.

Of course Vista requires much more overhead to run well. But if it has the necessary overhead then it runs very well.

I run XP now since my computer is old (2.5 years). I normally run an operating system that's 1 generation behind just for all the bugs to be worked out. I am in no hurry for the latest eye candy.
Yeah, seems I mistook Vista's ability to recognize 4GB of RAM as being able to use it, my mistake.

My first install of Vista I was getting constant BSoD, but I'm pretty sure it was a result of having a non-Vista compatible sound card present during installation. Vista seems to be very touchy about old hardware, drivers, and so on.

Ironduke
15 Jan 09,, 10:02
XP for sure.
Wait for Windows 7, should be much better then XP.
I personally think Windows 7 is going to be alot similar to Vista... perhaps less resource-intensive. I'll probably switch over when it comes out.

gunnut
15 Jan 09,, 18:04
Yeah, seems I mistook Vista's ability to recognize 4GB of RAM as being able to use it, my mistake.

My first install of Vista I was getting constant BSoD, but I'm pretty sure it was a result of having a non-Vista compatible sound card present during installation. Vista seems to be very touchy about old hardware, drivers, and so on.

Hmmm...interesting. I have installed Vista, both 32-bit and 64-bit on half a dozen machines and never had a single problem. Some of them had HDA audio and some had no audio at all. I forgot if any had PCI audio.

Most of these machines ranged from new to 2 years back in 2007. I found Vista to be very accomodating to different types of hardware, although slow, on these older machines.

Taurkon
15 Jan 09,, 19:11
I am a software engineer and I have been running Windows on PC's since Windows 2.0. I have a XP workstation, Vista workstation, Win2K server, and about a year ago, decided to try out a Mac.

Not sure if I will buy another PC again. Absolutely sold on the stability and performance of a Mac.

Kansas Bear
16 Jan 09,, 06:38
I have XP on my CPU and Vista on my laptop.....

I think I've had more problems with XP than my laptop.

ghostkru
18 Jan 09,, 09:38
same thing as Kansas Bear said.

i don't play games on my laptop, and for web browsing, word processing, video and flash and sound editing i find vista extremely stable. i hate all the "extra features", so much hand holding it's like for toddlers and it hides information from me.

XP is alright. i'm not sure if i like it because i'm so familiar with it.

Blue
28 Jan 09,, 05:15
Vista on my satellite laptop just fried today during an update to bios. The geek squad and Toshiba says motherboard is done. Bought in Sep 07. Have to argue it out tomorrow with cust relations at toshiba to see if I can get thenm to make good since thier half-ass tech support guy was having me do the upgrade. All was good till that one little push of the button:eek:

I would just like to add that I f****in hate Vista. If there is an OS hell, I hope it goes there. This from an Agnostic, which means that I can still hope!!!:))

Doomarias
28 Jan 09,, 15:28
Vista has been fine for me, I have 4 gigs of ram though ive disabled the Aero graphics and made it look like win 2k saving some more ram. So far so good Knocks on wood. Couple of times ive had to run under compatibility mode or had a program which had problems when not on administrator. Oldest game installed was the original Age Of Empires works fine.

tankie
19 Apr 09,, 14:31
I have vista , its ok so far , i have also used norton anti virus , avg (crap) macafee and am currently using kaspersky , which is by far the best i have tried ;)

Andrey Egorov
26 Apr 09,, 12:26
I choose Windows7 anyday. It's more stable than XP even in beta version, it's very friendly to use, it's shining like heaven on my Lenovo IdeaPad 530 and it has all legacy software and drivers. I miss all its magical features when using XP at my job

AxeZ
31 Dec 09,, 12:26
Linux ...:)