China to hold military parade to celebrate its 60th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China to hold military parade to celebrate its 60th anniversary

In 2009, the most anticipated event for China will undoubtedly be the 60th anniversary of founding of the People's Republic of China. China will hold a grand military parade to celebrate it.

Recently, related preparations have already begun.

The grand military parade will be the 14th since the founding of New China and the first one in the new century.

Since 1949, China has held 13 National Day military parades, the most recent of which were held in 1984 and 1999 to mark its 35th and 50th anniversaries respectively.

According to foreign media reports, armaments including the JL-2 submarine-launched ballistic missile and the J-10 fighter plane which have drawn worldwide attention will probably make appearances during the National Day parade.

By People's Daily Online
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90...6/6566673.html

Originally posted by Shuimo View Post
    armaments including the JL-2 submarine-launched ballistic missile
    We'll see a mock up, not the real missile.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      We'll see a mock up, not the real missile.
      While it wont be much (if any) good for analysts it will feed the teenage fanboys for a while.
      Nulli Secundus
      People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Never could understand why some of these countries feel they need to parade military hardware around.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I recall there was a military parade in Washington DC shortly after the "end" of the 2nd gulf war.....
          “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

To be fair to the Chinese and other totalitarian/authoritarian regimes, we do the same thing but in different venues.

1. We have airshows where people go to view military hardware.

2. We parade our military hardware on foreign soils.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              To be fair to the Chinese and other totalitarian/authoritarian regimes, we do the same thing but in different venues.

LOL, watched the military parade in Taipei once.....
              “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                I recall there was a military parade in Washington DC shortly after the "end" of the 2nd gulf war.....
                Andy,
                He said military hardware, meaning the massed formations of conventional and nuclear weaponry.

American military parades, rare as they are, typically involve troops only, with military vehicles occasionally thrown in here and there.

I agree with Dreadnought, inasmuch as Communist and totalitarian countries, the people who run them that is, feel a burning need to show off their hardware, accompanied by goose-stepping ranks of stone-faced soldiers.

I think the purpose is two-fold: It reminds the populace that there are external threats to the motherland and therefore you should support the current regime....and it simultaneously keeps the population in line: "Step out of line and this stuff gets used on YOU"

Speaking of goose-stepping, the PLA still does that, correct?

Yup, that about covers it. lol

I think the one element of the U.S. military that doesn't get a mass-showing is the ground forces. Plenty of airshows and fleet weeks, but no massed formations of tanks and especially no nuclear weapons or even mock-ups.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

LOL, watched the military parade in Taipei once.....
                  I've seen a few when I was a wee lad in Taiwan. The goose steps and phalanxes were most impressive.

Comment

I've seen a few when I was a wee lad in Taiwan. The goose steps and phalanxes were most impressive.
                    yeah, but honor guards are in need of a major fashion make over. Those shinny helmets have to go!

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      Speaking of goose-stepping, the PLA still does that, correct?
                      I'm not sure. If they do, then it's Russian style where the soldiers look more stiff. ROCA does the German style where the soldiers are not as stiff, but I think looks even more impressive.

Here's a funny thing, when I pace, I kick goose steps.

Comment

I agree with Dreadnought, inasmuch as Communist and totalitarian countries, the people who run them that is, feel a burning need to show off their hardware, accompanied by goose-stepping ranks of stone-faced soldiers.
                        ROK, ROC = Communist and totalitarian countries?

Comment

yeah, but honor guards are in need of a major fashion make over. Those shinny helmets have to go!
                          I think they should put up some Kaiser spikes.

Comment

I think they should put up some Kaiser spikes.
                            Amen brother. Personally, I prefer to see a Tang Calvary and a Ming (famous) "duck" infantry squad in formation. Yup, I would pay good money to see that

Comment

ROK, ROC = Communist and totalitarian countries?
                              ROC was totalitarian under the elder Chiang. Junior Chiang was better and he opened the way for democratization. But still authoritarian.

I believe ROK was authoritarian. Not sure how much of if it still is.

Here's the interesting exception to the rule though, France. I believe the French had some military parades during the Cold War.

It is as what TopHatter said, an ego trip for the leadership and a psyop on the populace. I have experienced this first hand.

When I was in Taiwan, we (my family) thought the parades were the coolest thing ever. It shows off the might of the nation and affirms the leaderships' power.

A family friend visited from the US back in the 1980s during the national celebration. We asked him to watch the parade with us and he just said "meh...it's an ego trip for the leadership."

Back then we didn't know what he meant. We thought he was cynical and unpatriotic. Now we are in the US, we see his point of view. We came to understand the psycological aspect of these parades on the populace.

Comment

Working...
                              X