PDA

View Full Version : Turkey holds 30 over 'coup plot'

Ironduke
08 Jan 09,, 11:50
Thoughts from our Turkish membership on this development?

Turkey holds 30 over 'coup plot'

More than 30 people have been detained in Turkey in a widening inquiry into an alleged coup plot.

Those arrested reportedly included three retired generals and a former police chief.

Some 86 people are already accused of an ultra-nationalist plot to stoke unrest that would provoke the army to launch a coup.

Critics say the ruling AK Party is simply arresting some of its most prominent secular opponents.

Wednesday's police operation involved simultaneous raids in six provinces, the Turkish state news agency Anatolia said.

A court in Istanbul also ordered searches of the suspects' homes and workplaces, it said.

A larger group of suspects, who include retired military officers, politicians, academics and journalists, went on trial in October, accused of being part of a shadowy group known as Ergenekon.

The 2,455-page indictment holds the group responsible for at least two violent attacks - the bombing of a secularist newspaper in 2006 and an attack on a court in the same year, in which a judge was killed.

Attacks on those key parts of the secular establishment were supposed to provoke Turkey's military into launching a coup in defence of secular interests, it is alleged.

The suspects deny the charges, saying they are politically motivated.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7816288.stm

Hitman817
08 Jan 09,, 20:31
Thoughts from our Turkish membership on this development?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7816288.stm

I haven't seen any water-proof evidence yet, but I haven't been following this case for a while.
I think the whole Ergenokon case ist politically motivated, but the fact that several former generals were arrested without the Turkish millitery taking any action suggests that there must be some kind of an understanding between the government and the army. So I guess it's allright, so far.

pate
09 Jan 09,, 03:51
These are new arrests or people they rounded up a few months back and are still holding?

Kernow
09 Jan 09,, 03:57
I wouldn't like to be in their shoes.

Big K
09 Jan 09,, 04:03
More than 30 people have been detained in Turkey in a widening inquiry into an alleged coup plot.

Those arrested reportedly included three retired generals and a former police chief.

Some 86 people are already accused of an ultra-nationalist plot to stoke unrest that would provoke the army to launch a coup.

some of them seems really guilty but many of them are real patriots who served their country, not ultra-nationalist ones.

Critics say the ruling AK Party is simply arresting some of its most prominent secular opponents.

yes and yes and yes definitely...you dont have any idea about these so-called democratic(yellers of head-scarf) fundementalists censorship that they exercise on the media.

thats what i was talking about for a while...

A larger group of suspects, who include retired military officers, politicians, academics and journalists, went on trial in October, accused of being part of a shadowy group known as Ergenekon.

The 2,455-page indictment holds the group responsible for at least two violent attacks - the bombing of a secularist newspaper in 2006 and an attack on a court in the same year, in which a judge was killed.

Attacks on those key parts of the secular establishment were supposed to provoke Turkey's military into launching a coup in defence of secular interests, it is alleged.

The suspects deny the charges, saying they are politically motivated.

please try to reach a English copy of the accusations. it is a real comedy and i am not sarcastic about it.

they are making a cleaning operation on the real patriots.

as an addition they are trying to cower their economical failure by changing the publics agenda.

Big K
09 Jan 09,, 04:05
I haven't seen any water-proof evidence yet, but I haven't been following this case for a while.
I think the whole Ergenokon case ist politically motivated, but the fact that several former generals were arrested without the Turkish millitery taking any action suggests that there must be some kind of an understanding between the government and the army. So I guess it's allright, so far.

they already have many high officers in their ranks.

i believe they finally silenced the TAF by yelling and shouting "democracy" "democracy"...

these are sad days and the history will judge us because of not taking any action.

Big K
09 Jan 09,, 04:07
These are new arrests or people they rounded up a few months back and are still holding?

new ones.

Vord
13 Jan 09,, 16:38
Categorizing 'Ergenekon' as a terrorist ortanization and putting it in the same basket as the PKK or Al'Queda is unfair to say the least. Just how many people has Ergenekon killed or how much property has it destroyed? What exactly are the members of Ergenekon guilty of? Loving their country, trying to protect it from religious extremists or ethnic seperatists? When democracy fails to bring justice to people or serve Turkey's best interests, you MUST take extra steps (sometimes objectionable) to ensure that Vatan is still under Turkish control as M. K. Ataturk meant it to be.

LetsTalk
14 Jan 09,, 06:51
The Military has the very honorable responsibility to protect the homeland. Serving once country should be respected and appreciated.

However the military has no business using force to take over power. I hope that the next Turkish government is an elected one.

Vord
14 Jan 09,, 07:04
The Military has the very honorable responsibility to protect the homeland. Serving once country should be respected and appreciated.

However the military has no business using force to take over power. I hope that the next Turkish government is an elected one.
The current Turkish government is an elected one.

LetsTalk
14 Jan 09,, 14:15
The current Turkish government is an elected one.

I very well know that AKP has been elected into power, my concern is that many here have some nice things to say about those accused of trying to have a coup, or are they are being defended. With statements like:

"but many of them are real patriots"

"What exactly are the members of Ergenekon guilty of? Loving their country, trying to protect it from religious extremists or ethnic seperatists?"

"When democracy fails to bring justice to people or serve Turkey's best interests, you MUST take extra steps"

It sound like some of you would be OK with a coup.

IMO that is not a good idea.

I am also worried about some of those being falsely accused, time will tell.

Big K
14 Jan 09,, 16:07
I very well know that AKP has been elected into power, my concern is that many here have some nice things to say about those accused of trying to have a coup, or are they are being defended. With statements like:

"but many of them are real patriots"

"What exactly are the members of Ergenekon guilty of? Loving their country, trying to protect it from religious extremists or ethnic seperatists?"

"When democracy fails to bring justice to people or serve Turkey's best interests, you MUST take extra steps"

It sound like some of you would be OK with a coup.

IMO that is not a good idea.

I am also worried about some of those being falsely accused, time will tell.

i strongly prefer a single party regime rather than a low-level educated/religion oriented/outsourced ochlocracy.

Vord
14 Jan 09,, 17:30
A fundemental underlying problem with a religion-motivated government is that when there's a big issue and advice or solutions are seeked to solve it, instead of using logic and reason, they tend to go to an ancient 'book' full of vapid stories or worse to self-benefiting towelheads who often have no idea how to handle ANY political/economic/social problem. Next thing you know we're marrying 4 women, harboring terrorists and hanging bright people in public squares.

I believe Turkey is in desperate need of a truly Kemalist-Nationalist (and I in no way favor Baykal's back-pocket indulgence CHP or Kurd's paradise MHP here) party & government. Turkey's long term survival & independence depends on it, let alone our prosperity!

We are patriots and we will not let Turkey become Iran! If we have to be called "racist", "coup wanters" or "undemocratic", then so be it. That is nothing compared to the sacrifices our ancestors had to make to create today's modern, secular Turkish Republic out of a failed Ottoman Empire's ashes.