Alternative xmas msg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative xmas msg

The Government has criticised Channel 4's decision to broadcast an Alternative Christmas Message by Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said the invitation by the broadcaster to the hard-line leader would cause international offence.

An FCO spokeswoman said: "President Ahmadinejad has during his time in office made a series of appalling anti-Semitic statements. The British media are rightly free to make their own editorial choices, but this invitation will cause offence and bemusement not just at home but amongst friendly countries abroad."

The decision to allow Ahmadinejad to deliver the Alternative Christmas Message on Thursday night has already angered human rights campaigners, Israelis and politicians.

Mr Ahmadinejad's anti-Western rhetoric and views on Israel and homosexuality have strained international relations between Iran and the West. The broadcast will go out at 7.15pm.

Campaign groups attacked the broadcaster's decision to air the speech, as "dangerous" and motivated by ratings.

Israeli Ambassador Ron Prosor said: "In Iran, converts to Christianity face the death penalty. It is perverse that this despot is allowed to speculate on the views of Jesus, while his government leads Christ's followers to the gallows."

Human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell joined the attack, and called on the broadcaster to "pull the plug on this criminal despot, who ranks with Robert Mugabe, Omar al-Bashir of Sudan and the Burmese military junta as one of the world's most bloody tyrants".

Stephen Smith, director of the Holocaust Centre, said the message should be treated with caution. He said: "I think this benign message is deceptive. People need to be alert to the fact that this is a wolf in sheep's clothing."

Channel 4s directors require a kick in the Nuts methinks ,, no offence meant Dave;) Or do they ??
    Last edited by tankie; 25 Dec 08,, 17:09.

Its supposed to be a controversial alternative message. I think its entirely appropriate.

And calling Ahmadinejad "one of the worlds most bloody tyrants" its ridiculous.
    Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
      Israeli Ambassador Ron Prosor said: "In Iran, converts to Christianity face the death penalty. It is perverse that this despot is allowed to speculate on the views of Jesus, while his government leads Christ's followers to the gallows."
      And as if Christians need a Jew to come to the defence of Jesus Christ and Christians! This is just silly mud-slinging. Israel is in no position to criticize Iran. Both states commit their excesses. It become point-of-view which state has committed more crimes. Whatever is aired on a private British television channel is no business of the Israeli governments. What next will they be trying to interfere with in another state's affairs? If anything it is this 'ambassadors' protest that is whats perverse.

Comment

Then again a christmas message from the president of a country which forbids (and criminalize) its citizens to convert to christianity is a bit meaningless if not perverse in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Traxus View Post
          Its supposed to be a controversial alternative message. I think its entirely appropriate.

And calling Ahmadinejad "one of the worlds most bloody tyrants" its ridiculous.
          I agree.
          I also think non-muslims should be allowed immediate and unfettered access to Mecca during the Hajj. I quite fancy eating a bacon sarni sitting atop the Kaaba watching the pilgrims go by......
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            I agree.
            I also think non-muslims should be allowed immediate and unfettered access to Mecca during the Hajj. I quite fancy eating a bacon sarni sitting atop the Kaaba watching the pilgrims go by......

Awwwwww Pari , you naughty boy :)):)):))

Comment

Working...
            X