Who's going to see Valkyrie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's going to see Valkyrie?

I am. I'm a huge World War 2 buff and I'm hoping they did a good job portraying history correctly.

I just don't want this movie to ruin my image of Tom Cruise from Tropic Thunder.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I will be but only because of the subject matter.

The "star" of the movie is a bizarre joke.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

For love of all that is holy why did they had to pick THAT guy...

I am not complaining about not using German actors but of all those who could have been cast HE was chosen?

Comment

I'll probably see it when it comes out on Redbox, I don't think I'd want to spend the money to see it in theater. I have a negative view on Tom Cruise, and think they should have cast German actors instead of American... I'd rather see a well-done German production on the subject with English subtitles than one with the cast they selected.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

A (big budget) German production will not be possible for quite some time. It is pretty impossible here to portray German soldiers in a more or less "heroric" light, the "best" thing you can get is "tragic" like in "Das Boot".

Did it never strike anyone odd there was never a "big" German movie about Rommel or Guderian?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              I'll probably see it when it comes out on Redbox, I don't think I'd want to spend the money to see it in theater. I have a negative view on Tom Cruise, and think they should have cast German actors instead of American... I'd rather see a well-done German production on the subject with English subtitles than one with the cast they selected.
              Ditto ,, only Hollywood can take the truth and turn it around to suit the box office ,, shame Marrion Morrison wasnt alive , they would have given him the part

Comment

I'll be seeing it.

Comment

alamo and stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ro...wayne%2775.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                    For love of all that is holy why did they had to pick THAT guy...

I am not complaining about not using German actors but of all those who could have been cast HE was chosen?

They didn't choose him. HE chose him...he owns the produciton company.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      They didn't choose him. HE chose him...he owns the produciton company.
                      He does indeed, and judging by the previews he doesn't even attempt to act (Not even an attempt at a German accent). Where's John Malkovich when you need him? I won't be seeing it, just because I am sick of Tom Cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
                        He does indeed, and judging by the previews he doesn't even attempt to act (Not even an attempt at a German accent). Where's John Malkovich when you need him? I won't be seeing it, just because I am sick of Tom Cruise.
                        Reminds of when Michael Caine played Rob Roy , the worst cockney jock accent ever ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post

Did it never strike anyone odd there was never a "big" German movie about Rommel or Guderian?
                          Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                            I once saw some old black and white WW2 film on the TV, it was about Rommel (I think). Anyway it had Americans with really thick American accents playing the Germans, they didn't even bother trying to sound like Germans for heavens sake.
                            Nulli Secundus
                            People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Confed and I are going to leave both kids with my exhusband on Friday and go to see this movie then.

Tomorrow we will all go see Marley. :P
                              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                              X