X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Months For 202 Lives?????!!!!!!!

Cleric jailed over Bali bombings

Ba'asyir said the sentence against him was unjust
    An Indonesian court has found the radical cleric Abu Bakar Ba'asyir guilty of conspiracy over the 2002 Bali bombings, in which 202 people died.
    But he was cleared of more serious charges over a bomb attack on the JW Marriott hotel in Jakarta in 2003.

Ba'asyir, who was jailed for two-and-a-half years, had denied the charges and is expected to appeal.

Australia, which lost 88 people in the Bali attacks, said the relatively lenient sentence was "disappointing".

"We are disappointed with the length of the sentence," Foreign Minister Alexander Downer told the BBC.

A spokesman for the US embassy in Jakarta also expressed disappointment at the sentence "given the gravity of the charges on which he was convicted".

At the end of the court case, a statement read out by the five judges said Ba'asyir had not been directly involved in carrying out the Bali blasts, but had given his approval for the attacks.

Ba'asyir addressed the court after his sentence was delivered, saying: "I don't accept this verdict. This is not justice. God protect us from evil and its allies. Please, either open their hearts or destroy them."

He reportedly smiled broadly as he was led out of court, while his supporters climbed onto chairs with chants of "God is greatest".

The BBC's Rachel Harvey in Jakarta says it was always going to be a difficult and complex case for the prosecution to prove.

Their case was undermined when witnesses gave contradictory testimony, and a former US State Department interpreter gave evidence that appeared to back up the defence's claims that the trial was a result of US pressure.

Cheers

The cleric's supporters say he is being persecuted to please the US

Our correspondent says the atmosphere in the court swung from one extreme to another as the verdict was read out.

The announcement that Ba'asyir would not be convicted of the Marriott hotel attack - which killed 12 people, including a suicide bomber - was greeted with cheers by his supporters.

But they protested as he was found guilty of the Bali bombings.

The cleric was convicted over the Bali bombings under ordinary criminal legislation, rather than the harsher anti-terror laws, which were only brought in after the 2002 attacks.

A statement by the court said Ba'asyir was aware of the conspiracy behind the Bali bombings.

"The defendant knew that the perpetrators of the bombing were people who have been trained in bomb-making in Pakistan and Afghanistan... the conditions of evil conspiracy have been met," the statement said.

'Al-Qaeda ties'

Prosecutors who accused Ba'asyir of inspiring both the Bali and Marriott attacks had pushed for a jail sentence of eight years.

He has previously been tried on charges of leading the regional militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI) - but was cleared because of a lack of evidence.

He was, however, jailed for immigration violations.

Police rearrested him in April 2004, as soon as he left prison, citing new evidence linking him to JI.

The US has alleged JI has ties to Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

I am disappointed.........The government caved in.......
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

“Justice” rules.

Next, I guess, they will send Usama to kindergarten work as a Tooth Fairy.

Comment

The punishment should fit the crime.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

He should either be rotting in Jail for the rest of his life or be publicly executed

Comment

Not that I support him, but I presume justice can only be delivered when proved.

One can't have a kangaroo court or lynch a chap on the first tree available.

By Islamic law, it would require four pious Moslems as witnesses and off with the head, like Alice in Wonderland. But in Western style justice, it is plodding through evidence and hey.....the guys is free.

You decide which law you would have preferred!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
            You decide which law you would have preferred!
            This is true. To protect the innocent from wrongful imprisonment, the bad guys are going to get off now and again.
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

... if Abu Bakr-Bashir was tried in Australia or the US, he would have been convicted and senteced for a long time. Indonesian law is screwed up.
              SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Working...
              X