Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Israel Attack Iran's Nuclear Reactor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Israel Attack Iran's Nuclear Reactor?

With tension tightening between Iran and Israel, Israel issued a report on preparing a preemptive strike, even without US approval. With US controlling the Iraqi airbases and the latest EUCOM radar system controlled by America, what would happen? Will Israel go ahead with the attack? Should it or wait for US? Is it even possible for Israel to go for it?

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
    YES
    32.71%
    Not without US backing
    19.63%
    NO
    47.66%
    Last edited by Cosmic; 05 Dec 08,, 16:54.

Originally posted by Cosmic View Post
    With tension tightening between Iran and Israel, Israel issued a report on preparing a preemptive strike, even without US approval. With US controlling the Iraqi airbases and the latest EUCOM radar system controlled by America, what would happen? Will Israel go ahead with the attack? Should it or wait for US? Is it even possible for Israel to go for it?

I hope they wait , but knowing Israels past, they wont hold back

Comment

If all the West was united, the Iranian regime wouldn't be even trying this.

If Israel goes for it, it might well be a one way mission for the pilots.

I'm very bleak about this issue.
      L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux

Comment

It's our fault, is Europe's fault. Had we threaten with dropping commercial relations, an insignificant amount of our trade, but vital for Iran, Iran is dead in the water.

It might be too late even for that, which these greedy idiots wouldn't do, anyway.
        Last edited by Castellano; 05 Dec 08,, 18:09.
        L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux

Comment

Not going to happen for several reasons.

Israelis are talking about doing it for a long time now and..... nothing. When Osirak was bombed there was no talk, just action

Israeli air force targetting capabilities are probably not up to the task so Israeli leadership might think twice about action that will likely fail and jsut complicate matters

Comment

Originally posted by aktarian View Post
            Not going to happen for several reasons.

Israelis are talking about doing it for a long time now and..... nothing. When Osirak was bombed there was no talk, just action

Israeli air force targetting capabilities are probably not up to the task so Israeli leadership might think twice about action that will likely fail and jsut complicate matters
            I am inclined to this... i think the report is to just divert Iran and cause an tension among civilian, but the hardliner is not going to be impacted... It would be better for Israel to just act rather than talking...

Comment

I am inclined to this... i think the report is to just divert Iran and cause an tension among civilian, but the hardliner is not going to be impacted... It would be better for Israel to just act rather than talking...
              It would be better to just not act all.

As far as the whole argument that it won't happen because they keep talking rather than doing thing doesn't sit well with me. For one, theres been a number of people involved in Israeli politics who's voiced their concern about being verbal about it, and upset that the military option has been put out in the open. Second, there's actually no reason to do it. Iran does not have the ability to create a WMD nor do they have the ability to deliver it if they did.

Comment

Yesterday

Comment

I think that Israel may also be a bit paralysed or in limbo due to Obamas relative ambiguity about whether he would support an attack. Obama has stated that he believes Israel is a strong ally but he has been very vague or ambigious on what his relationship with Israel will be. Personally i believe that his approach to israel has/will be less tolerant of a assertive Israel.
                  But i am interested if someone believes otherwise, but I believe that because of the huge unknown about what the US's position on a pre-empt strike will be is why Israel should not attack for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Helium View Post
                    I think that Israel may also be a bit paralysed or in limbo due to Obamas relative ambiguity about whether he would support an attack. Obama has stated that he believes Israel is a strong ally but he has been very vague or ambigious on what his relationship with Israel will be. Personally i believe that his approach to israel has/will be less tolerant of a assertive Israel.
                    But i am interested if someone believes otherwise, but I believe that because of the huge unknown about what the US's position on a pre-empt strike will be is why Israel should not attack for me.
                    I think its pretty unlikely Obama would support an attack. Israel had the most hawkish US president they could get in power for 8 years. But even Bush didn't seem willing to support such an attack. If he's not going to, I don't see there being any way Obama will lend his support to such an opperation.
                    Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

No, I don't think they should. I think a pre-emptive strike convinces Iran of the necessity of possessing nuclear weapons, and do not think military strikes would be effective in taking out their nuclear research program.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        No, I don't think they should. I think a pre-emptive strike convinces Iran of the necessity of possessing nuclear weapons, and do not think military strikes would be effective in taking out their nuclear research program.
                        It's going to be interesting to see how the Obama Administration handles this one. I noticed after BO's meeting with GW that he seemed to have more gray hairs.

Comment

Why should 2 very influential nations in the region go to war based on a manufactured animosity?
                          There is no single understandable reason for this rivalry. Sure there are plenty of fiery rhetorics but deep down Iran and Israel share plenty of common interest in the region and I have no doubt the leaders from both sides understand this very well. Israel is using Iranian's confrontational attitude for international and Iran is using the same for domestic and regional gains.
                          Also I personally don't believe Iran will make any nuclear weapons at least not in present environment in which so many nations are against the program as well as Iranian Leaders openly declaring that "possessing WMD is against Islam" repeatedly. IMHO They will continue the nuclear R&D all the way to the point of just short of making the actual bomb and then they will stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                            Yup. It would also get the Iranian populace thoroughly behind the government. And further destabilize the region and all that jazz.
                            Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

One very important overlooked fact, is that it can only help Israel's case to hype up a threat, however dubious that may be. By maintaining a political image of being underthreat, Israel benefits substantially from Military funding from the U.S and private individuals.

Regardless of the reality of the threat (the 'material' is on the shores of the Persion Gulf for pete's sake, extra-ordinarily easy to neutralise or dissaude) it is an important part of Israels economy to be on the international 'military social security doll' list.

The more it is hyped, on the news, in the papers, in political statements from politicians, the more justification is gets for funding.
                              Ego Numquam

Comment

Working...
                              X