PDA

View Full Version : Grab the closest book...

THL
04 Dec 08,, 02:46
...and turn to page 56. Skip down to the 5th sentence. Type it here.

Dont go hunting around looking for a cool book or a fun book, just whatever book is the closest one to you. Put the title and author in parentheses.

THL
04 Dec 08,, 02:47
Stalin was merciless toward his own people, using terror to keep them under control.

(World War II by R.G. Grant)

Shamus
04 Dec 08,, 02:58
At twilight,as the 37 was surfaced on a calm sea and in low visibility,the first lookout on the bridge reported that there was an island close at hand on the starboard side.

(War in the Boats-Captain William J. Ruhe,USN,Ret.)

T_igger_cs_30
04 Dec 08,, 03:10
But the best I could manage at the time was the business at Mare Street Registry office over Hackney way, and a bit of a knees up at Mums place.

(The GUV"NER - Lenny McLean)

I look what I am,a hard B*stard

Parihaka
04 Dec 08,, 03:10
What Cavendish was trying to do was measure gravity at this extremely featherweight level.

(Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything)

Gun Grape
04 Dec 08,, 03:19
The occupant load of anchor stores opening into the
mall shall not be included in determining exit requirements
for the mall.

(Florida Building Codes Vol 1 - Building
Written by a bunch of Engineers and insurance people who think they know everything)

Officer of Engineers
04 Dec 08,, 03:20
It's a playboy centrefold.

THL
04 Dec 08,, 03:35

Well, it looks like we have lost the Col for the remainder of the night

Shek
04 Dec 08,, 03:39
As time passed it was eventually extended to all the players a team had under contract (The Wages of Wins, Schmidt, Berri, and Brook).

sappersgt
04 Dec 08,, 03:40
"The new greenhouse gas emission limits make it a hot technology".

Debbie
04 Dec 08,, 03:52
It has tended to ignore the grounded conception that Shils and Gertz actually put forward, which found primordialism not in ethnicity and race but in the significance attributed to them.

(Ethnicity and Race - Making Identities in a Changing World - Stephen Cornell and Douglas Hartman)

Tarek Morgen
04 Dec 08,, 04:00
The units detailed for ambuscades and the main body pf the army should move at the same time, wether there is to be one ambush or two.

(Maurice's Strategikon, Emperor Maurice of Byzantine ca 6th century AD)

firestar
04 Dec 08,, 04:46
stir once, then add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. turn the heat to low and simmer very gently, stirring now and then, for 10 mins.

part of recipe for
(Aromatic cuban white bean and pumpkin stew - potaje de freijoles blanco)

from

Madhur Jaffreys' World vegetarian.
650 meatless recipes from around the world

this was all i had near by me.:)

ArmchairGeneral
04 Dec 08,, 04:49
"However, the story of Genesis is incomplete."

-Old Testament Theology, Bruce Waltke

ArmchairGeneral
04 Dec 08,, 04:51
What Cavendish was trying to do was measure gravity at this extremely featherweight level.

(Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything)

Ooh, nice. Love "A Walk in the Woods."

T_igger_cs_30
04 Dec 08,, 04:53

:biggrin: ah Engineers

GraniteForge
04 Dec 08,, 05:02
The closest book only has a picture on p. 56
(Mediæval Bæbes: Songs of the Flesh, by Zouravliov and Findley)

From the book under that one:

Our eyes passively gather information from close up.
(The Shaolin Workout, by Sifu Shi Yan Ming)

chankya
04 Dec 08,, 07:57
"Life was and is so hard in Sudan that sometimes it seems as if the Sudanese prefer to think about death and the supernatural - as if the language of dreams and visions is the country's only common tongue"

(Emma's War - Deborah Scroggins)

TTL
04 Dec 08,, 08:49
''Colonel Albert Böttcher, who was one of the officers in Rommel's headquarters tells us very interesting things about that matter.''

('Foxes of the Desert' Paul Carell)

Right on my desk.

Ironduke
04 Dec 08,, 10:52
Alter?

Die Physiker by Friedrich Dürrenmatt

tankie
04 Dec 08,, 12:16
The hot steamy breath was gushing forth as she stuggled with the weight as she struggled over the bed .

Locomotives from the 1950s :rolleyes:

Southie
04 Dec 08,, 13:24
Athena showed herself to me so plainly...

(The Odyssey of Homer a verse translation by Allen Mandelbaum.)

bengalraider
04 Dec 08,, 13:54
Aesthetically preferable as it would not interfere with the view of the dam.

civil engineering & construction review -august 2008

Albany Rifles
04 Dec 08,, 15:10
Normally, the logical progression of events in the major item management system which leads to the determination of depot maintenance requirements is to first determine the Army Acquisition Objective (AAO) quantities, followed by the development of the Amry MAteriel Plan (AMP), the determination fo the distribution requirements (DR) and the development of the the Total Army Equipment Distribution Program (TAEDP).

Major Depot Maintenence Requirement

Army Regulation 71–11, Total Army Analysis

Shamus
04 Dec 08,, 15:20
Normally, the logical progression of events in the major item management system which leads to the determination of depot maintenance requirements is to first determine the Army Acquisition Objective (AAO) quantities, followed by the development of the Amry MAteriel Plan (AMP), the determination fo the distribution requirements (DR) and the development of the the Total Army Equipment Distribution Program (TAEDP).

Army Regulation 71–11, Total Army AnalysisZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....;):biggrin:.

Shiny Capstar
04 Dec 08,, 17:31
The conscripts took their fate unquestioning: resignedly, after the custom of Turkish Peasantry.

T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

Debbie
04 Dec 08,, 17:35

Thank you - I no longer have the most boring post.

Knaur Amarsh
04 Dec 08,, 17:51
Not taking into consideration the judgment - Effect - If tribunal fails to take notice of a decision of the High Court which is binding on it, then as to whether the same can be a mistake apparent on the face of the record and can be rectified - Yes (1991) 1 PHT 355 (P and H)

O.P. Hans - Commentary on the Punjab Value Added Tax Act and Rules, 2005 alongwith informative charts, FAQ's circulars, Instructions, Clarifications, Tax Payers Guide, Central Sales Tax Act and Rules and Punjab Tax on Lotteries Ordinance, 2005. ( As amended up-to-date)

bolo121
04 Dec 08,, 17:54
Lieutenant General I.Kh. Bagramian's powerful 11th Guards army was deployed in the critical Zhizdra-Bolkhov sector northwest of Orel, prepared to spearhead the western front's decisive thrust towards the vital Briansk-Orel rail line.

David M Glantz, The Battle of Kursk

Dreadnought
04 Dec 08,, 17:57
A proper sign must be assigned to the moment,depending on wether it is c.w or c.c.w, In this book, unless stated otherwise, a c.c.w. moment will be considered positive and a c.w. moment will be considered negative.

Statics and Strengths of materials second edition.

McFire
04 Dec 08,, 18:39
However affable Zach Herney appeared on the surface, Rachel Sexton had just learned something important about him.

Dan Brown - "Deception Point"

Albany Rifles
04 Dec 08,, 18:55
That's what happens when I am here at work and i blindly reach to my left and grab the first binder I came to.

Glad to do my part.

Gun Grape
05 Dec 08,, 03:49

Pogue:)):))

Kernow
05 Dec 08,, 03:57
The plan includes the arrangements for completing outstanding tasks.

'Recovery Management, Directors Guideline for Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups. Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management.

Shamus
05 Dec 08,, 03:59
That's what happens when I am here at work and i blindly reach to my left and grab the first binder I came to.

Glad to do my part.:biggrin:

Albany Rifles
05 Dec 08,, 14:20
Pogue:)):))

That would be a pogue who procures things so you can have things that go bang!

And what the heck...it pays the mortgage.

Be glad I didn't reach to the shelf to my right and grab the Draft Army Force Generation Model Materiel Fielding Strategy!

soutie
05 Dec 08,, 14:27
Well, it looks like we have lost the Col for the remainder of the night

The Col is on playboy i am on hustler:biggrin:

Parihaka
06 Dec 08,, 06:49
Ooh, nice. Love "A Walk in the Woods."
Me too. It's nice to lift your head up and take a look around sometimes.
Just reading through chapter eight, Eiensteins Universe, accompanied with the usual headaches. I've decided I disagree with him:rolleyes:

ArmchairGeneral
06 Dec 08,, 21:11
Me too. It's nice to lift your head up and take a look around sometimes.
Just reading through chapter eight, Eiensteins Universe, accompanied with the usual headaches. I've decided I disagree with him.

Einstein or Bryson?

Parihaka
06 Dec 08,, 21:28
Einstein or Bryson?

Einstein. Don't ask....

Swift Sword
06 Dec 08,, 21:31
"The Athenians occupied Megara and Pegae, and built for the Megarians their long walls from the city to Nisaea, in which they placed an Athenian garrison."

I was at a planning meeting a while back and somebody bandied about a Thucydides passage with smug self satisfaction and, frankly, I think the dude could not find Greece on a map.

Got me to thinking it would make me a better person to have more than a passing knowledge. Not as much fun at cocktail parties as Marco Polo or Herodotus, though.

William

pat322
06 Dec 08,, 21:34
and noddy said tobig ears "WHAT A WHOPPER " big ears and its all yours

noddy and big ears do dallas

aktarian
07 Dec 08,, 11:41
When the leading Tiger was immobilized by the leading edge of the minefield, it must have been apparent to all following that there was a minefield to their front.

(Christopher W. Wilbeck "Sledgehammers")

ArmchairGeneral
07 Dec 08,, 16:26
Einstein. Don't ask....

HERETIC!! You must burn, you antiscientific dog! :mad:

There is one science, and Einstein and Darwin are its prophets!

Blue
07 Dec 08,, 16:49
"They established farms and built homes, mills, churches, and schools in the nearby county seat of Neosho and at Sarcoxie, Granby and other small towns scattered throughout the area." From "The Real Wild West- the 101 ranch and the creation of the American West" by Michael Wallis. It tells the story of the beginnings of the 101 Ranch in Ponca city OK. The 101 so named as it was 101,000 acres. My graeat-grandfather was raised there. The excerpt happens to be the part of the book where the Miller family(the founders of the ranch) where migrating through the area in which I now live, Southwest Missouri.

Since I am a very selective reader, I don't read that many books and I actually have only two books on the table next to the couch when I get the time to read. The other one I have been working on is this.

'A careful president tried to explain that banning flags was not what football was about" from "the politically incorrect guide to the South (and why it will rise again) by Clint Johnson. An excerpt explaining the attempted ban of fan flags at LSU games. ie a confederate battle flag painted in the school colors of purple and gold.

crooks
07 Dec 08,, 21:27
'All was dark skied and hazy, and small chips of rain were starting to fall'.

The Book Thief, Markus Zusak.

Great book, btw, made me cry :(.

BD1
07 Dec 08,, 23:03
yes, i was there two years ago - ano, byl/byla jsem tam pred dvema roky

The Rough Guide Phrasebook - Czech

Kalvan
24 Mar 11,, 07:17
"Ionia, the islands, and the Greek mainland would have all been occupied as a Western satrapy of Persia."

Carnage and Cultures by Victor Davis Hanson in the chapter on Salamis.

DOR
25 Mar 11,, 05:16
LOL !

"The popularity of Hungary as a tourist destination has steadily grown in recent years."

Hong Kong and Macau EU Yearbook 2009

USSWisconsin
25 Mar 11,, 08:37
"The government as a whole was opposed to further costly construction, but the matter was now being aired to the public, and all parties within the government were seen to be squabbling over which path they should take. "

British Battleships 1889-1904 R.A. Burt (1988)

Sounds familiar :rolleyes:

Bigfella
25 Mar 11,, 11:15
"At last, aftermore than a millenium of azial revelations, Ishmael's progeny had been chosen to recite the truths that superseded the gospels of Zarathustra, Abraham, Moses, Mani & Jesus."

God's Crucible: Islam & the making of Europe, 570-1215 D.L.Lewis (2008).

T_igger_cs_30
25 Mar 11,, 11:26
"The British Infantry became hugely adept at this system of fire control: time after time their disciplined volleys won the day in Marlborough's battles."

The Makeing of the British Army (from the English civil war to the war on terror)
Allan Mallinson.

Double Edge
25 Mar 11,, 14:28
He passed along Klan information to the assistant attorney general of Georgia, an established Klan buster.

{Freakonomics, Levitt & Dubner}

Chogy
25 Mar 11,, 14:41
This is a fun old thread.

The most typical example of a fuel whose combustion in a composition can be partly due to combination with atmospheric oxygen is magnesium.

Principles of Pyrotechnics

by

H. H. Shidlovskiy

Stitch
25 Mar 11,, 19:22
"Hillary had said "I'm going to Arkansas to marry Bill Clinton."

The Seduction of Hillary Rodham, by David Brock, 1996

T_igger_cs_30
28 Mar 11,, 00:08
"Freese quickly reviewed what he had learned about the mysterious syndrome"..:eek:

Deadly Medicine
Kelly Moore & Dan Reed

bigross86
28 Mar 11,, 00:34
Ready for a doozie?

"If the latter possess native sagacity, and a nameless something more - let us call it intuition; if he show no intrusive egotism, nor disagreeably prominent characteristics of his own; if he have the power, which must be born with him, to bring his mind into such affinity with his patients' that this last shall unawares have spoken what he imagines himself only to have thought; if such revelations be received without tumult, and acknowledged not so often by an uttered sympathy as by silence, an inarticulate breath, and here and there a word, to indicate that all is understood; if to these qualifications of a confidant be joined the advantages afforded by his recognized character as a physician - then, at some inevitable moment will the soul of the sufferer be dissolved, and flow forth in a dark but transparent stream, bringing all its mysteries into the daylight"

The Scarlet Letter
Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Sweet Jesus, but this is one of the worst books I've ever read. I can usually read over a page a minute, sometimes even 2 pages a minute. It took me almost an hour and a half to read 40 pages. I now read it in chapters, 10 page groupings or so, and I still need to struggle with it.

USSWisconsin
28 Mar 11,, 00:58
Ready for a doozie?

"If the latter possess native sagacity, and a nameless something more - let us call it intuition; if he show no intrusive egotism, nor disagreeably prominent characteristics of his own; if he have the power, which must be born with him, to bring his mind into such affinity with his patients' that this last shall unawares have spoken what he imagines himself only to have thought; if such revelations be received without tumult, and acknowledged not so often by an uttered sympathy as by silence, an inarticulate breath, and here and there a word, to indicate that all is understood; if to these qualifications of a confidant be joined the advantages afforded by his recognized character as a physician - then, at some inevitable moment will the soul of the sufferer be dissolved, and flow forth in a dark but transparent stream, bringing all its mysteries into the daylight"

The Scarlet Letter
Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Sweet Jesus, but this is one of the worst books I've ever read. I can usually read over a page a minute, sometimes even 2 pages a minute. It took me almost an hour and a half to read 40 pages. I now read it in chapters, 10 page groupings or so, and I still need to struggle with it.

an example of "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger" ;)- reminds me of college - oh thats why you are reading this "jewel":biggrin:

bigross86
28 Mar 11,, 01:40
Trust me, it's not out of choice...

BD1
28 Mar 11,, 08:14
Ready for a doozie?

The Scarlet Letter
Nathaniel Hawthorne.

quite like mr. Marcel Proust. his hero Swann spends usually some 40 pages reminding what exactly was his former lover wearing in some summer morning some years ago, or what it feels to fall asleep...
Swann's Way, by Marcel Proust (http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/p/proust/marcel/p96s/chapter1.html)

Chogy
28 Mar 11,, 14:34
Ready for a doozie?

Gaaah! I honor you for typing that painful sentence out. I would have "cheated" and picked the next one, probably something like "I want to have sex with you, but they'll mark my noggin and I'll be in trouble." Something like that. ;)

bigross86
28 Mar 11,, 14:44
They didn't mark her noggin, they marked her bosom. At least get the facts right!

astralis
28 Mar 11,, 15:35
i've got you all beat...'cept for maybe AR's.

"COCOM includes the authority to exercise directive authority for logistic matters (or to delegate directive authority to a subordinate JFC for as many common support capabilities as required to accomplish the subordinate JFC's assigned mission)."

- JOINT FORCES, Air Command and Staff College Book 5

Chogy
28 Mar 11,, 15:41
They didn't mark her noggin, they marked her bosom. At least get the facts right!

Hey, I never read it, and after reading that sentence, I'm glad I never did! :biggrin:

bigross86
28 Mar 11,, 15:46
You're not missing much, I guarantee you

Double Edge
29 May 11,, 02:27
Rafi was,broadly,the party of the 'hawks', while the 'doves' put their trust in Eshkol and Eban.

The Six Day War by Randolph S./Winston S. Churchill, 1971

bolo121
29 May 11,, 08:08
It is worth recalling that when colonel Wools-Sampson 'The incomparable intelligence officer and fighting scout', was told of Haig's appointment as column commander he remarked: "He's quite all right but he's too - cautious: He'll be so fixed on not giving the Boers a chance, he'll never give himself one".

Liddell Hart's History of the First World War

Repatriated Canuck
08 Sep 11,, 23:29
Just saw this thread. I have three books in a stack next to me.

So,

"Czechoslovakia was a geopolitical spear at Germany's back that really concerned him"

Moral Combat - Michael Burleigh

"Welcome,' said Hagrid, "to Diagon Alley"

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

"And even underage wizards are allowed to use magic if it's a real"

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Not started the J.K. Rowling books yet but look forward to them. I really loved the movies.

bigross86
08 Sep 11,, 23:55
Books 1-3 were okay, book 4 was decent. Books 5 and 6 sucked, and 7 sucked miserably aside from the grand melee at the last 100 pages or so of the book. The movies all sucked horribly

BB61Vet
09 Sep 11,, 00:49
Oh, you're going to Love this one...

"I had firmly made up my mind that, while sex might not be the be all and end all, I did want to marry and it had to be a man who made me eager to go to bed early."

To Sail Beyond the Sunset - Robert A. Heinlein

bigross86
09 Sep 11,, 01:02
It's a good thing she said "go to bed early" and not "go to sleep early". If her husband is making her want to do the latter, I think she might have made a bad judgment call somewhere along the line

Repatriated Canuck
09 Sep 11,, 18:48
Books 1-3 were okay, book 4 was decent. Books 5 and 6 sucked, and 7 sucked miserably aside from the grand melee at the last 100 pages or so of the book. The movies all sucked horribly

Maybe I'm much more easily entertained? I enjoyed all the movies a great deal. They make me smile and feel like I'm little again. In fact I still like Peter Pan and have read it many times.

I think this quality in me will be handy when I have a family of my own which I very much look forward to. I got the girl for it!

I'm pretty good at just switching off for entertainment quality movies and books. If it's not meant for me to learn anything I try not to read into it too much. Except for WWII movies, they better be accurate or I get annoyed! Oh and Sci-Fi movies based on older ones. Transformers and GI-Joe as examples annoyed me. The latest Star Trek, one of the best of all the films.

editec
12 Oct 11,, 16:17
Exerpt from "The Forgotten Man" by Amity Shales

"Tugwell found himself making a career in economics and reform, even spending a semsester at Amherst College in Massachusetts, the academic home of Robert Frost."

FYI
Rexford Guy Tugwell (July 10, 1891 – July 21, 1979) was an agricultural economist who became part of Franklin D. Roosevelt's first "Brain Trust

WIKI

DOR
16 Nov 13,, 04:51
Para qualquer piloto junior do automobilismo . . .
OK, I don't read Portuguese. I'm in an owner's hospitality suite at the 60th annual Macau Grand Prix, and that's p. 56 of the tri-lingual program.

Tamara
19 Nov 13,, 07:45
""MY SHORTS!", the Senator screamed as the mob battery rammed down the doors to the bordello, screaming, "CHASE MANHATTAN FOREVER!"."
("Mork and Mindy, the unabridged edition" by Orson N. Shazbot)

No, not really................

"From their observations of the operational markings left upon the spent cartridge cases they were able to place 33 of them into four groups which in turn could be attributed to four of the suspect weapons."

("Firearms, The Law, and Forensic Ballistics" by Tom Warlow)