Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian National Security Force

Originally posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    "We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." — Barack Obama, Colorado Springs, Colorado, July 2, 2008
    If you removed President-elect Obama's name from the quote, I would have guessed that it was Secretary of Defense Gates that said that. If you polled a bunch of servicemembers from Iraq and Afghanistan about whether or not they supported the above, I think they would overwhelmingly be in favor of this.
    Yes
    34.78%
    No
    65.22%
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

For military professionals - please vote as to whether you support in concept the creation of a civilian national security force? What should it look like? Should it be based on the PRT and HTT models? Should there be other teams? At what levels should they operate (battalion, brigade, division, corps)?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
      If you removed President-elect Obama's name from the quote, I would have guessed that it was Secretary of Defense Gates that said that. If you polled a bunch of service members from Iraq and Afghanistan about whether or not they supported the above, I think they would overwhelmingly be in favor of this.

Yeah I do not agree with this ... sounds too much like a quasi Paramilitary that will be answering to bureaucrats and not the the people ...

Geheime Staatspolizei
      Komityet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosty....
      Staatssicherheit .....
      Μολὼν λαβέ
      Hakkaa Päälle

Comment

To be honest..I don't really understand what the endresult is suppossed to be. Something similar to coast and border guard?

And KGB, Gestapo and Stasi were inteligence agencies and secret polices and no paramilitary forces..

Comment

SD was the inteligence serivce of the SS. Here the term Brownshirts is used for nazis in general (we use colours for all parties/groups Conseratives are Black, Liberals Yellow, Social Democrats reds etc, and Nazis are brown). Do you mean the hitler youth? SA?

And until not any more infos are available about what exactly he is talking about I find those comparisions rather unfitting. I am not a fan of Obama but to use a single quote which exact meaning is not even clear to put him on the same level as mass murderer like Hitler, Stalin and other bastards should be over the class of this board

Comment

Originally posted by RadioPatrol View Post
            Yeah I do not agree with this ... sounds too much like a quasi Paramilitary that will be answering to bureaucrats and not the the people ...

Geheime Staatspolizei
            Komityet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosty....
            Staatssicherheit .....
            So how would agricultural experts as part of deployable team be quasi paramilitary? How would anthropological experts as part of a deployable team be quasi paramilitary? How would economists as part of a deployable team be quasi paramilitary? How would this be different that the current ePRT/HTT concept already in action?

You're not bringing much to the discussion right now other than fear.

Comment

I have not voted as it concerns Americans but, I am struggling to get my head around something like this, you already have a National Gaurd, would it not be more prudent to increase this with say National Gaurd (Homeland Defence Force) but under the scrutiny of the National gaurd with the same training,discipline, and military law?
              I find the thought of a civilian group under bureaucratic control seperate from military law quite scary in the long term.
              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Shek:

PRT/HTT concept already in action

Shek Sir, maybe I am jumping the gun you have a link I could read up on this, thanks
                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                  I have not voted as it concerns Americans but, I am struggling to get my head around something like this, you already have a National Gaurd, would it not be more prudent to increase this with say National Gaurd (Homeland Defence Force) but under the scrutiny of the National gaurd with the same training,discipline, and military law?
                  I find the thought of a civilian group under bureaucratic control seperate from military law quite scary in the long term.
                  the problem here might lie with that the national gard, afaik, is under the control of the states which would make it a bit hard to give them a nationwide upgraded role without federal command over them.

Comment

Major,

Aren't you describing the Peace Corps?

Comment

Shek Sir, maybe I am jumping the gun you have a link I could read up on this, thanks
                      HTT stands for Human Terrain Team, PRT for Provincial Reconstruction Team. Simplified the carrot for the stick in coin scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                        HTT stands for Human Terrain Team, PRT for Provincial Reconstruction Team. Simplified the carrot for the stick in coin scenarios.
                        DOH !!
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Sergeant Major,

Here are just a few links:

ePRT
                          http://www.usip.org/pubs/usipeace_br..._prt_iraq.html
                          http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=49814

HTT
                          http://www.army.mil/professionalwrit...6/12_06_2.html
                          http://www.army.mil/-news/2007/12/11...ral-landscape/

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                            So it basically has nothing to do with security within the borders of the US......my mistake...apologies all around.
                            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              Major,

Aren't you describing the Peace Corps?
                              Would you want to send the peace corp to countries like Afghanistan? To my understanding the organisation needs a certain grade of stability before it can archieve any success.

Comment

Working...
                              X