PDA

View Full Version : Russian intelligence sees U.S. military buildup on Iran border

KenMac
29 Nov 08,, 17:56
Any details on this?
Just routine manouvers? Looking to wratchet up pressure? Or real preperations? Or nothing to it all?

Russian intelligence sees U.S. military buildup on Iran border

MOSCOW, March 27 (RIA Novosti) - Russian military intelligence services are reporting a flurry of activity by U.S. Armed Forces near Iran's borders, a high-ranking security source said Tuesday.

"The latest military intelligence data point to heightened U.S. military preparations for both an air and ground operation against Iran," the official said, adding that the Pentagon has probably not yet made a final decision as to when an attack will be launched.

He said the Pentagon is looking for a way to deliver a strike against Iran "that would enable the Americans to bring the country to its knees at minimal cost." ...

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070327/62697703.html

Aryajet
29 Nov 08,, 18:42
Intelligence information dated back to March, 27, 2007?
I think CNN provides better information, USS J.C Stennis (CVN 74) has been in Persian Gulf for past 21 month.

T_igger_cs_30
29 Nov 08,, 18:45
What you expect with pidgeon post:biggrin:

Aryajet
29 Nov 08,, 19:13
What you expect with pidgeon post:biggrin:

T_igger,
It will take some time for me to get there, but I promise I'm in hot pursuit.:biggrin::biggrin:

Shiny Capstar
29 Nov 08,, 19:41
I can offer you a fine racing pigeon that is twice as fast for only 500, the product of fine breeding over the generations. Not one I found knocked out after hitting my window.... honest.

TopHatter
30 Nov 08,, 22:39
Any details on this?
Just routine manouvers? Looking to wratchet up pressure? Or real preperations? Or nothing to it all?

If true, and that is a very big 'if', it's all of the above except preparations for an invasion.

1. The U.S. has, to date, no casus belli for an invasion of Iran,

2. Not nearly enough manpower and equipment in-theater for an invasion.

3. No political backing for an invasion, given that in less than two months, there will be a new POTUS who won't initiate military action with Iran unless - and maybe even if - there is a clear-cut casus belli (see #1).

In other words, the Russians are trying to be somehow relevant to the situation in the Middle East...and failing miserably.

ofogs
01 Dec 08,, 02:30
Is it possible that when the Russians observed the activity- late March- that there was a flurry of activity because of what was happening in Iraq? This was right at the time of violence in several major cities, much of it Iranian fueled. Thus, the increase in US activity near the border to interdict Iranian lethal aid.

KenMac
01 Dec 08,, 04:39
Sorry about this one - found a link to the story when I was looking for something else & didn't check the date it was written on...

Dreadnought
01 Dec 08,, 17:40
Any details on this?

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070327/62697703.html

Hmm I wonder just what Russian Intelligence agents are doing in Iran.:rolleyes:

KenMac
01 Dec 08,, 22:33
Major potential hotspot & the Russian's aren't that interested in Iran getting nuclear weapons either..

Also Caspian sea, oil & gas manouvers, keeping an eye on all the other intelligence agency manouvers in & around Iran (US, Isreal, France, UK, Syria, etc.), as well as keeping an eye on US manouvers in the region, regional proximity to Russia...

Imagine Russian intelligence has quite a lot of interest in Iran.

Stitch
02 Dec 08,, 00:34
Is it possible that when the Russians observed the activity- late March- that there was a flurry of activity because of what was happening in Iraq? This was right at the time of violence in several major cities, much of it Iranian fueled. Thus, the increase in US activity near the border to interdict Iranian lethal aid.

That's what I was thinking; probably more of a border security exercise than anything else. That was right about the time that US intelligence agencies were getting info that a lot of the jihadists were coming over the border from Iran, along with Iranian-supplied weapons.

ofogs
02 Dec 08,, 02:53
That's what I was thinking; probably more of a border security exercise than anything else. That was right about the time that US intelligence agencies were getting info that a lot of the jihadists were coming over the border from Iran, along with Iranian-supplied weapons.

Yes, in conjunction with a response to the uprisings. I know personally at that time I was watching Nasiriyah go nuts and a couple days later we went south to deal with Basra. A lot of forces shifted to respond to that stuff, so it makes sense the border area looked like more was going on.

Ironduke
02 Dec 08,, 10:03
Why are you posting a story that's 20 months old?