Dont Break The Crayons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont Break The Crayons

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A Fort Lauderdale, Florida, elementary school art teacher shook an 8-year-old student and punched him in the face, causing a bruise, because the youngster broke a crayon, according to a police report obtained Wednesday.

David Adam Grant, 36, a teacher at Sunland Elementary School, turned himself in to police Tuesday in connection with the November 5 incident, police said in a written statement.

According to the report released by Fort Lauderdale police, the mother called police after noticing a bruise over the boy's right eye.

The boy, whose name is redacted in the police report but who is identified as V-1, told police that as his art class was ending, Grant told him to return his crayons to their proper place, the report said. But "before V-1 returned the crayons, one of them broke," according to the police report.

The boy told police that "Grant became angry, walked up to him and grabbed him by the shirt. ... Grant then began to shake V-1 back and forth and then punched him one time," the report said.

The boy said he fell to the ground, and Grant ordered him out of the room. He said he left the room and recounted the incident to another teacher, who told him it was time to learn to "not complain," the report said.

Police said they notified the Broward County Schools' Special Investigation Unit. School officials did not immediately return a call seeking comment on the case Wednesday.

The police statement said authorities think Grant "hit the 8-year-old student around his left eye with a loosely closed fist, causing a bruise over his right eye."

A police officer's affidavit attached to the police report, however, give some conflicting details.

In the affidavit, the officer states that Grant was detaining four students, including the boy, for disruptive behavior when their homeroom teacher came to retrieve them from art class.

According to statements from the children, the affidavit said, Grant grabbed three of the boys by their shirts and pushed them into a wall before ordering them out of the room. The 8-year-old "stated that after the others left, Grant grabbed him by his shirt and pushed him into the wall, causing him to fall to the ground." Grant then punched the boy, according to the affidavit, and told him to leave the room.

The affidavit said the boy's homeroom teacher was with the class outside when she noticed that the boy's cheeks were red and that he was "visibly upset." The teacher told police she asked him what happened, and he said, "They aren't supposed to do that" but would not tell her more.

When the class members returned to their room, she told police, she asked him again what happened, but he would not tell her, according to the affidavit.

"She told him that if he did not feel comfortable then he should tell his mother when he got home," the affidavit said.

Grant surrendered to police after detectives contacted him, the statement said. He faces child abuse charges. The incident remains under investigation, authorities said.
    Linked Here
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

There are just so many concerning things with this story.

Other than the obvious:
    The boy told police that "Grant became angry, walked up to him and grabbed him by the shirt. ... Grant then began to shake V-1 back and forth and then punched him one time," the report said.
    Really? They need to be looking into this teacher as well.
    He said he left the room and recounted the incident to another teacher, who told him it was time to learn to "not complain,"
    Did anyone talk to these kids I wonder?
    Grant grabbed three of the boys by their shirts and pushed them into a wall before ordering them out of the room.
    She did not think to send him to the office, the nurse, the guidance counselor or the principal?
    "She told him that if he did not feel comfortable then he should tell his mother when he got home,"
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Good Lord Almighty: That teacher must be a descendant of "Miss" Kaufman, my 2nd grade teacher. Slapping a hand with a ruler was accepted in those days, as long as it was the FLAT side of the ruler and done with only enough "force" to get the attention of the student.

But she always wielded a ruler like a Roman short sword and would whack you with the EDGE.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

That'll learn him to break the class' writing utensils!

Comment

When I was in school we had a math teacher who hung a rubber paddle from the chalkboard. They had outlawed paddling a few years before but apparently it gave him good memories to look at it and as students I suppose we were supposed to fear it. Quite frankly, I think it made him look small.
          Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

This guy is a menace....but he would have fit in next to Sister Dorothy Claire, Sister Saint Mark and Sister Grace from my grade school days. Rulers, wooden pointers, blackboard erasers, books...all were used on various parts of my anatomy.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X