Simulator time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulator time

I just found out that I'm going to get some sim time in the EA-6B simulator at Whidbey Is. N.A.S. Has anyone here done this? I have a few hours in Boeing simulators (747 and 767), but this one has me pretty excited!
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Originally posted by highsea
    I just found out that I'm going to get some sim time in the EA-6B simulator at Whidbey Is. N.A.S. Has anyone here done this? I have a few hours in Boeing simulators (747 and 767), but this one has me pretty excited!
    KC-135 sim at Fairchild AFB in 1987; we did pattern work, with a 500' ceiling (all the old-style sim could handle, as it couldn't do visuals above 500' AGL). I did well, and hand-flew the pattern @ a dozen times. Three full-stop landings, including one that the computer recorded as 40 G's.

F-16 sim at Misawa AB, 1999. (The fighter wing gave me a plaque to commemorate the event. After ramming the same Tu-95 Bear four times, the inscription read: "No guns, no missiles. FOX FOUR! SSgt Blues "Collision" man recorded four kills against aggressing Tu-95s, saving Misawa Air Base from certain annihilation. Caveat Veloce" I also had the visceral experience of bombing the big antenna farm on Security Hill, but when I asked if that meant that I didn't have to come in to work anymore, my boss said, "Sure, as long as you simulated knocking out our antenna, simulating you not having any work to do...go ahead a take a simulated day off."
    Last edited by Bluesman; 25 Feb 05,, 19:50.

Comment

Hahaha! Good one Bluesman. I did some manual landings with the 67 and 47. My first try with the 67, I bounced it pretty good and the instructor froze it so I wouldn't prang the hydraulics, but I got the hang of it after that. On one takeoff, I was climbing out and I turned out of the pattern in a 40 degree bank. I asked him how far over I could go, and he said.. "we usually keep it within 15 degrees". .Oops! Haha. Flew the 47 from Boeing Field down the Duwamish river and under the West Seattle bridge, but I hit the tail on the bridge! Lol. Did some night landings in Hong Kong and San Francisco too. Very cool stuff.

I am really looking forward to Whidbey. It's a far cry from my regular C-172/182 experience. I'm bringing my logbook so I can log the sim time. :)
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Oh, I forgot: the F-16 sim at Andrews AFB, 2002. My intel officer (smartest and funniest man I've ever met*) from Prince Sultan AB, KSA, was assigned to the ANG F-16 outfit there, so we were 20 miles apart when I was stationed at NSA. He liked me a lot, so he would work it out that I'd meet him for lunch, and then we'd go do all kinds of fun stuff: simulator, mission briefs, gun camera video review, etc. His CO was cool with it, because in return, I'd bring him up to NSA, where I worked the Iraq Air and Air Defense problem, and we'd pump him full of great gouge that he couldn't get anywhere else.

None of the three military sims have been with full motion, though. Ironically, the only time I've been in a sim that actually moved was when I was doing instrument training (started twice, had to quit both times, when I ran out of money! ). An itty-bitty Link trainer. I still have a scar on my index finger from a VERY memorable lesson on 'Spatial Disorientation'. I calls it my vertigo scar.

*He used to refer to the fighter drivers in Saudi as 'fighter chimps', right to their faces. Some other memorable sayings from 'Nuts' (his callsign):

"Is this a 'hair-teeth-and-eyeballs' mission, or are you guys just going as tourists?" (He asked this to the mission leader - a wing commander and full colonel - before an Operation: SOUTHERN WATCH flight.)

"Your NSA computers are WAY cooler than mine. I wish I worked for some suit in DC, instead of an engaged combatant commander, upholding American policy and projecting airpower into hostile territory. Maybe THEN we could get some MONEY. " (This was directed to me.)

"Iraqi pilots flying Foxbats...a match made in heaven. The slow-witted warrior that WANTS to turn around, riding the fast-paced airplane that can't."
        Last edited by Bluesman; 25 Feb 05,, 20:43.

Comment

I got to spend some time in the F-16C simulator at HIll AFB a few years ago.

What fun it is shooting down a TU-22 with your Vulcan cannon. :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            I got to spend some time in the F-16C simulator at HIll AFB a few years ago.

What fun it is shooting down a TU-22 with your Vulcan cannon. :)
            Feh. Shoulda rammed him, like a REAL man. ;)

Comment

Mental note. Do not ever get on a plane when Bluesman is in the cockpit. Unless the assisted suicide law is struck down.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
                Mental note. Do not ever get on a plane when Bluesman is in the cockpit. Unless the assisted suicide law is struck down.
                I'm a safe pilot. It's the SIMS that make me dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                X