• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court: Man can sue over surprise Pregnancy

Court: Man Can Sue Over Surprise Pregnancy

Fri Feb 25,12:06 AM ET U.S. National - AP

By CARLA K. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO - A man who says his former lover deceived him by getting pregnant using semen obtained through oral sex can sue for emotional distress — but not theft, an appeals court has ruled.

Dr. Richard O. Phillips accuses Dr. Sharon Irons of a "calculated, profound personal betrayal" six years ago, but she says they had the baby through sexual intercourse.

The Illinois Appeals Court said Wednesday that Phillips can press a claim for emotional distress after alleging Irons had used his sperm to have a baby, but agreed that however the baby was conceived, Irons didn't steal the sperm.

"She asserts that when plaintiff 'delivered' his sperm, it was a gift," the decision said. "There was no agreement that the original deposit would be returned upon request."

The ruling sends the case back to Cook County Circuit Court.

Phillips, a Chicago family doctor, alleges that he and Irons never had intercourse during their four-month tryst, although they had oral sex three times. His suit contends that Irons without his knowledge kept some of his semen.

The relationship ended, the suit said, when Phillips learned Irons had lied to him about being recently divorced and was still married to another doctor.

Irons, who practices internal medicine in suburban Olympia Fields, said in a telephone interview Thursday that Phillips knew she was still married during their affair, and also knew she was pregnant with his child.

"He was very supportive and very happy about it," she said. "He said, `You need to hurry up and get your divorce.'"

He promised to marry her and asked her to quit her job, she said, but several days before her last day at work, Phillips informed her that he "couldn't go through with it."

Nearly two years after their affair, Irons filed a paternity suit and Phillips was ordered to pay $800 a month in child support, said Irons' attorney, Enrico Mirabelli.

Phillips then sued Irons, claiming her actions caused him nausea and headaches and robbed him of sleep and his appetite. He is haunted by "feelings of being trapped in a nightmare," court papers state.

The appeals court ruling followed a decision by a lower court judge who dismissed Phillips' suit in 2003.

Just thought that it was kinda funny..What do you think??
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

I think the Jerry Springer should have them on his show. With all the deceit and lying, those two missed their calling as polititions.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Reading that kinda makes my blood boil.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke
        Reading that kinda makes my blood boil.
        Yah. Magot lawers.
        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

I somewhat agree with the court

It was not an accident but the lady made the kid on purpose.

Hell he should not even have to pay support...
          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

He is not entirely innocent, but he is now a father. If there is any real justice, every dime of the child support should go to a trust fund that only the child can have access to when he/she is older.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

It is technically impossible for the woman to concieve by using the sperm from oral sex, unless and untill clinical artificial insemination has been carried out. Since the life span of the sperm is 24 hrs and that of the ova is 12 hrs. Besides the sperms require the body temperature of the womans body to survive for 24 hrs.
              The guy is sherking his responsibility after having his bit of 'fun'.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Ya. Stupid Doctors. They, better than anyone should know how to practice safe sex. And the man, changing his mind, and crying foul with his own flesh and blood. geez. They both deserve what they got.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                  Ya. Stupid Doctors. They, better than anyone should know how to practice safe sex. And the man, changing his mind, and crying foul with his own flesh and blood. geez. They both deserve what they got.

Yep. Having had to go through something similar to that myself (girl said child was mine, 1 PT later, nope, find someone else to support your child) I can say that those two (and now 3) are in for a hell of a time...
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

He is haunted by "feelings of being trapped in a nightmare," court papers state.
                    Haha, i feel sorry for the kid who has to read that in the future. One's own father calling you a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Gio
                      Haha, i feel sorry for the kid who has to read that in the future. One's own father calling you a nightmare.
                      For the parents, the nightmare has only begun.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                        It is technically impossible for the woman to concieve by using the sperm from oral sex, unless and untill clinical artificial insemination has been carried out. Since the life span of the sperm is 24 hrs and that of the ova is 12 hrs. Besides the sperms require the body temperature of the womans body to survive for 24 hrs.
                        The guy is sherking his responsibility after having his bit of 'fun'.
                        Not that I disagree that the guy was in it for the fun, but a woman can get pregnant without actually having sex. However unlikely, she could have left the room and used some other device to insert the sperm. I did hear of a case where a woman admitted to using a turkey baster like item for this purpose. I will have to try and look for the article.

That all being said....
                        "She asserts that when plaintiff 'delivered' his sperm, it was a gift," the decision said. "There was no agreement that the original deposit would be returned upon request."
                        Now I like getting presents as much as the next person, but.....ewwww!
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

The man shouldn't be legally obligated to pay a single dime of child support if the child was indeed conceived through the women inseminating herself. The act of oral sex doesn't end in conception.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Amazing how we replace Lawyers with our own reponsibility these days. People seem to forget that having fun also carries individual risks as well as responsibilities in such situations
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 06 Jan 06,, 16:31.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                              The man shouldn't be legally obligated to pay a single dime of child support if the child was indeed conceived through the women inseminating herself. The act of oral sex doesn't end in conception.
                              but it is a he said/she said situation. she says the child was conceived normally and he says it was not. basically it boils down to if the man is going to go letting the boys loose, he is going to end up being responsible for what they do while they are swimming free :)

Guys, you have to be careful where you deposit these things. Apparently you cannot just leave them lying around. :) Bad things can happen.
                              Last edited by THL; 06 Jan 06,, 16:36.
                              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                              X