Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interceptor Missile hits test target

Interceptor missile hits test target
    Thursday, February 24, 2005 Posted: 8:49 PM EST (0149 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An experimental naval interceptor shot down a short-range ballistic missile target during a test over the Pacific Ocean on Thursday, missile defense officials said.

It is the fifth kill in six tries for the interceptor, called a Standard Missile-3, said Rick Lehner, a spokesman for the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency.

During the test, a target ballistic missile, similar to a Scud, was launched from the island of Kauai at 4 p.m. ET. The USS Lake Erie, a cruiser equipped with the Aegis radar system and stationed 100 miles offshore, tracked the ballistic missile and then fired the interceptor to shoot it down. Two minutes later, the missiles collided.

The SM-3 interceptor will be deployed on ships later this year, Lehner said.

Also involved in the test was the Aegis destroyer USS Russell, which tested some of its missile-tracking systems.

The SM-3 doesn't have the range of the experimental land-based national missile defenses located in Alaska and California, and it is envisioned for use in protecting allies or U.S. forces from short-range ballistic missiles launched over a body of water. Potential scenarios where it could see action include missiles fired by North Korea at Japan, or by China at Taiwan.

However, the tracking system on some naval vessels is designed to assist in hunting intercontinental ballistic missiles.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/24/mis....ap/index.html
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Good news. I believe this is the 4th or 5th successful test of the SM-3.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

does anyone really think that tehse systems will work?

I think the current ones are not worth messing about with, i'm waiting for my idea to hit the skies....multiple kill vehicles i think lockhead amrtin called them....(i swear i came up with this b4 they did)....basicly a missile arrying lots of lil ones that shoot out once they get near the incoming....

Comment

Originally posted by platinum786
        does anyone really think that tehse systems will work?
        The one reported, did.
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
        X