Clear All

• Van Halen or Van Hagar?

Which was the best era for the band?

Van Halen
    75.00%
    Van Hagar
    25.00%
    Last edited by Shek; 17 Nov 08,, 17:47.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Van Hagar, though I'm betting I'll be in the minority here. 5150 was a great album and "dreams" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Comment

Van Halen created its own path and forged ahead. Hagar is a great rocker, but Van Hagar simply coasted and rode on the coattails of Van Halen's success.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Van Halen just wasn't the same without Diamond Dave; you're right, bonehead, Sammy may have been a better musician, but Dave was a better entertainer. I've seen both of them in concert, and Dave was much more entertaining; perhaps his lyrics weren't quite as prescient as Sammy's but then, after all, this is rock 'n roll, they're not supposed to be.
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Definitely Van Halen for me! Not that you guys probably even noticed, but Eddie Van Halen's smile...mmmm.... David Lee Roth wasn't too bad either!!
          “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
          "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
          sigpic

Comment

I like several of Van Halen's songs and only Dave could do them justice.

On the other hand, I prefer the majority of Sam Halen's music, so I have to say Sammy years for me.

(Plus Dave always seemed like such a loud-mouthed blowhard. And yeah, his high-flying acrobatics were entertaining, but as a kid growing up in the 80s, I merely saw them as needless showing off. (Hey, I was a kid, sue me )
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Van Morrison
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Van Morrison
                :)) well dang it...if I'd known Van Morrison was part of this I would have voted for him hands down!!
                “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                sigpic

Comment

There is also Martha and the Vandelles.

Sorry...not a big fan of hair bands and Zouba pants
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

I never cared for either that much...

Comment

I liked Van Halen with Dave, Cabo Wabo was overrated.

I first saw Sammy with Montrose on the Paper Money Tour. On New Years Eve, it was the last show at Winterland. Opening for Montrose was, get this...The Tubes. Yep, feather boas, platform shoes, sequined pants and White Punks On Dope! Sammy stole the show with Connection, playing acoustic on a dimmed stage, then as the lights faded rolling right into Rock Candy ("you're hard, sweet and sticky"). :))

Interview with Sammy with cuts from Rock Candy live...

Here's the opening act, The Tubes, doing White Punks On Dope...

Last edited by sappersgt; 18 Nov 08,, 00:25.
                      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Voted for Van Halen.

Am ashamed to admit that I'v never really heard anything by Van Hagar , will go Youtubing now.
                        When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                          Voted for Van Halen.

Am ashamed to admit that I'v never really heard anything by Van Hagar , will go Youtubing now.
                          Knaur,
                          The band retained the name Van Halen, but many referred to it as Van Hagar since it no longer contained David Lee Roth, who was the face of the band.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                            Knaur,
                            The band retained the name Van Halen, but many referred to it as Van Hagar since it no longer contained David Lee Roth, who was the face of the band.
                            Thanks. Never knew that, wiking it up now.:)
                            When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Van Halen.

If for no other reason than the "Hot for Teacher" video.

Comment

Working...
                              X