PDA

View Full Version : Best Guitar Riff?

Shek
13 Nov 08,, 03:22
What's your favorite guitar riff? If it's not listed, if you add it as a post, I'll add it to the poll.

Shamus
13 Nov 08,, 03:44
Just had to vote for Jimi,but it was a tough decision;).

Southie
13 Nov 08,, 03:48
Yeah...my votes for Jimi too! It was actually a tie with GnR!

Debbie
13 Nov 08,, 04:14
Dang - I can't decide between Jimi, Deep Purple or Aerosmith.

T_igger_cs_30
13 Nov 08,, 04:25
Man so many to choose from all greats ......but Clapton - layla gets my first vote

Second - The Beatles - Day tripper

Third - The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction

D2sfelvHAlU

Shek
13 Nov 08,, 04:44
oobDQ0vdm8M

Wooglin
13 Nov 08,, 04:53
Wow, good timing. I was just sitting here with guitar in hand.

It's amusing that the lastest song on the list is GNR :). Allow me to add some
classic classics and some newer classics :)

Panama - Van Halen
Girls Girls Girls - Motley Crue
Money - Pink Floyd
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Piece of Mind - Boston
War Pigs - Sabbath
Kickstart My Heart - Motlley Crue
Slither - Velvet Revolver

GraniteForge
13 Nov 08,, 06:46
Outlaws - Green Grass and High Tides

Bigfella
13 Nov 08,, 11:02
Had to go for Jimi, but I would happily have voted 'all'.

Would also throw in:

Cult of Personality - Living Color
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles/Clapton
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Badge - Cream (plenty of other candidates from Cream, but this one is so perfect)
People Get Ready - Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart
Surfing With the Alien - Joe Satriani
Soul Sacrifice (Woodstock version) - Santana band
Blues for Salvador - Carlos Santana
Little Martha - Duane Allman (and pretty much anything by the ABB)

tankie
13 Nov 08,, 11:09
Hotel California ,, sultans of swing,, brothers in arms ,, parisian walkways .;)

Andrey Egorov
13 Nov 08,, 12:23
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Sympthom of the Universe - Black Sabbath
I am the Law (Orgasmotron) - Motorhead
I'm Broken - Pantera
5 minutes Alone - Pantera
Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin
Moment of Impact - Fear Factory

captain
13 Nov 08,, 12:55
For the moment;

Tommy Emmanuel - Stevie's blues.

Apt to change with time though.

Cheers.

Knaur Amarsh
13 Nov 08,, 13:32
As far as riffs go, my fave is Smoke On The Water, hands down :)

iWl0YJN5Xf4

Andrey Egorov
13 Nov 08,, 14:42
As far as riffs go, my fave is Smoke On The Water, hands down :)

iWl0YJN5Xf4

cool song, but not enough tension for my taste, just too plain

Knaur Amarsh
13 Nov 08,, 14:59
cool song, but not enough tension for my taste, just too plain

Oh the song ain't my favourite, but I worship that riff ;)

Albany Rifles
13 Nov 08,, 15:34
How could we forget

Pinball Wizard - The Who
American Woman - The Guess Who
La Grange - ZZ Top
Hey Bo ******y - Bo ******y
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Spirit of Radio - Rush
Statesboro Blues - Allman Brothers
Rocking the Casbah - The Clash
Magic Man or Barracuda - Heart
Sweet Jane - Lou Reed

tankie
13 Nov 08,, 16:59
Awww crap , forgot to mention the final countdown .:)

dave lukins
13 Nov 08,, 17:11

and George Formby...your secret hero;)

Albany Rifles
13 Nov 08,, 17:17

You need a butt whooping for that!

tankie
13 Nov 08,, 17:27

:biggrin:

A/R i reckon my butt has`had enough whoopings over the years , so one more aint gonna matter ;)its a good riff tho huh ?

gunnut
13 Nov 08,, 19:03
What's your favorite guitar riff? If it's not listed, if you add it as a post, I'll add it to the poll.

Getting into Guitar Hero, I see. :biggrin:

Dreadnought
13 Nov 08,, 19:04
Definately Layla. Eric Clapton. There are only two that can carry on like that and it has been a trademark of both Eric Clapton and Dickie Betts from the Allman Bros. That is not to knock the rest such as Zepplin, Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who and many other artists but to be able to "carry" a song in depth and for a prolonged period of time definatly says something for the artist. Eric Johnson also comes to mind. And by the way NO HENDRIX?

Albany Rifles
13 Nov 08,, 19:29
For some reason on my list it didn't like the correct spelling of Bo Diddddllleeee

Shamus
13 Nov 08,, 19:55
While I voted for Jimi,there are really too many to list but another favorite of mine is "La Villa Strangiato" by Rush.I'm also a huge fan of Robin Trower-"Too Rolling Stoned","Bridge of Sighs","Day of the Eagle"...his Procul Harem days....good stuff:cool:.

T_igger_cs_30
13 Nov 08,, 20:18

:biggrin: all together now ..............' I'm leaning on the lampost at the corner of my street in case a certain little lady goes by...........oh me ....oh my .....I hope my little lady goes by.............

come on you lot :rolleyes:

BD1
13 Nov 08,, 20:50
Nirvana īSmells like Teen Spiritī - never was a fan, but itīs a brilliant pop-song

oh and that Ennio Morricone thing from Clint Eastwood movie!

sappersgt
13 Nov 08,, 21:15
While I voted for Jimi,there are really too many to list but another favorite of mine is "La Villa Strangiato" by Rush.I'm also a huge fan of Robin Trower-"Too Rolling Stoned","Bridge of Sighs","Day of the Eagle"...his Procul Harem days....good stuff:cool:.

Now you did it! You've got me looking up tracks by Ted Nugent and Edgar Winter...:cool:

This brings back memories of a great show!:cool:

Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nRjGX3jYFYk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nRjGX3jYFYk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shamus
13 Nov 08,, 21:39
Stevie Ray Vaughn-"Couldn't Stand the Weather","Voodoo Chile","Scuttle' Buttin'","Tin Pan Alley","Wall of Denial".......sigh.....what a shame.....so much good music:cool:

Dreadnought
13 Nov 08,, 22:44
Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray Vaugn, Jeff Beck man there are so many good guitar players. Remember Jerry Rafferty and "Baker Streets" riff.;)

gunnut
13 Nov 08,, 23:03
Santana? Anyone?

ArmchairGeneral
13 Nov 08,, 23:38
Santana? Anyone?

Mmm...Black Magic Woman...happy.

Wooglin
14 Nov 08,, 00:43
I vote for this kid :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QjA5faZF1A8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QjA5faZF1A8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yes, he is really playing it.

Shamus
14 Nov 08,, 01:22
Santana? Anyone?Si' :biggrin:

Bigfella
14 Nov 08,, 01:22
Santana? Anyone?

Already mentioned by me...twice.

I can't believe no one has brought up the all-American guitar song - Free Bird (reaches for cigarette lighter).

LongshotSNN
14 Nov 08,, 01:44
How come no one's mentioned Iron Maiden yet? Aces High?

ArmchairGeneral
14 Nov 08,, 01:52

I can't believe no one has brought up the all-American guitar song - Free Bird (reaches for cigarette lighter).

Honestly, though it's a good song, it's really the solo that makes it; the body of the song is kind of ho-hum. Sweet Home Alabama is a better total song, IMO- great riff, and sweet solo too.

edit: About 3 minutes after I made this post Free Bird came up on Pandora. And it was a live version I hadn't before with a few minutes of extra solo. Happiness. And I must admit, the riff ain't bad either.

Gun Grape
14 Nov 08,, 02:13
60s Jimmi Hendrix - voodoo child

70s Eric Clapton - Layla

80s Stevie Ray Vaughn - Pick one "Couldn't stand The weather or Voodoo Child revisited

90s Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

But they must all bow to the King.

B.B. King that is:cool:

NmWz2jEk8HI

gunnut
14 Nov 08,, 02:26

Oops, sorry, didn't see them. :redface:

I saw a bunch of Eddie V and Eric Clapton, both deservedly so, but no one echoed on Santana.

Free Bird, defnitely good riff. It's like a song that wouldn't end.

Albany Rifles
14 Nov 08,, 15:19
Stevie Ray Vaughn-"Couldn't Stand the Weather","Voodoo Chile","Scuttle' Buttin'","Tin Pan Alley","Wall of Denial".......sigh.....what a shame.....so much good music:cool:

Reminds me of the line from Denis Leary.

"You mean Stevie Ray Vaughn is dead and we can't get John Bon Jovi on a helicopter?!?!?!? WTF!?!?!"

Dreadnought
14 Nov 08,, 15:23
Santana? Anyone?

Hey "Los" kicked ass and still is today. He's just becoming more modern but I do like the projects he supports with up and coming Latin artists. He gives back unlike alot of other spoiled politically outspoken american rock stars that instead of giving back just give you "moonbat" opinions.:))

Shamus
14 Nov 08,, 15:24
Reminds me of the line from Denis Leary.

"You mean Stevie Ray Vaughn is dead and we can't get John Bon Jovi on a helicopter?!?!?!? WTF!?!?!":biggrin:

ghatotkacha
14 Nov 08,, 16:44
How about "Kashmir" (Led Zep) ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-cD8g8xFCg

Shamus
14 Nov 08,, 16:47
Hey "Los" kicked ass and still is today. He's just becoming more modern but I do like the projects he supports with up and coming Latin artists. He gives back unlike alot of other spoiled politically outspoken american rock stars that instead of giving back just give you "moonbat" opinions.:))I saw Carlos a few years back with Los Lonely Boys as his opening act.They were good,Carlos was absolutely awesome and they all played together at the end....very cool;):cool:.

Shek
14 Nov 08,, 18:12

Is that like a Ghurka knife - if it's drawn you have to draw blood? If you mention FreeBird you have to flick a lighter :))

ArmchairGeneral
14 Nov 08,, 18:46
How about "Kashmir" (Led Zep) ?

Took the words out of my mouth. Some other greats I haven't seen mentioned- "Back in Black," AC/DC, "Jessica," Allman Brothers, "The Trooper," Iron Maiden, "Life in the Fast Lane," Eagles. Also some more modern ones-"Take Me Out," Franz Ferdinand, "Reptilia," The Strokes, and "7 Nation Army," White Stripes.

Shamus
14 Nov 08,, 18:51
All right...how about Robert Fripp-"Baby's on Fire" from Brian Eno's album-"Here Come the Warm Jets"......I can see the blank looks from here:biggrin:.

osage18
14 Nov 08,, 18:56
Eruption by Van Halen is the sickest, most bada** guitar solo of all time.

Riff out of this group? What is the most memorable?

Probably Watchtower or Sweet Child.

Stitch
14 Nov 08,, 20:42
Eruption by Van Halen is the sickest, most bada** guitar solo of all time.

Remember that well; remember the first time listening to VHI and hearing that. Every aspiring rock guitar god after that had to be able to play "Eruption"!

ArmchairGeneral
15 Nov 08,, 04:04
Oh yeah, and Cochise.

FluffyThoughts
15 Nov 08,, 09:37
First post, so please be gentle...!

The best riff - assuming intros' are allowed - surely is form the single Chop Suey! by System of a Down...? Well, if not, it is my ring-tone; 'nuff said! :cool:

Bigfella
16 Nov 08,, 12:52
Is that like a Ghurka knife - if it's drawn you have to draw blood? If you mention FreeBird you have to flick a lighter :))

Scary thing is that I am a non-smoker, yet the moment Freebird comes on there always seems to be a lighter in reach. Probably where all the lighters smokers keep losing end up.:))

Shamus
16 Nov 08,, 14:29
Scary thing is that I am a non-smoker, yet the moment Freebird comes on there always seems to be a lighter in reach. Probably where all the lighters smokers keep losing end up.:)):biggrin:

Albany Rifles
16 Nov 08,, 22:21
We always called Free Bird the Southern Stairway To Heaven....lots of belly rubbing to that tune!!!

RadioPatrol
19 Nov 08,, 22:01

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida)

:))

Somaton
22 Nov 08,, 01:09
I love Helmet's minimalistic approach to riffs -
Milquetoast, Ironhead, In the Meantime... the list goes on and on, brilliant.

S2
22 Nov 08,, 01:43
I like tension.

This has tension.:cool:

gAqtsNWkpUk

Gun Grape
29 Nov 08,, 02:06
Would have effected my vote if I had seen the movie before voting.

Best Guitar riff ever.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Spongebob Squarepants "Goofy Goober"

3igwmsWkj1U

The things you learn letting your 10 yr old pick out movies.

leib10
29 Nov 08,, 10:19
This one blows them all out of the water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP5q4phG8cw

S2
03 Dec 08,, 00:39
Keaton sure thinks so

4tT3rAo2s4s