Tires - How To Decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires - How To Decide

My 2004 Ford Ranger should really have some new tires. The choices are overwhelming and I don't have a clue. Put on about 25,000 miles per year these days. The set I have on now are original and have lasted so far 83,000 miles. Any suggestions?
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Tried riding a bullock cart?

I have ridden such carts with wooden wheels and also with pneumatic wheels.

The best was what is known as a cycle van, where a flatbed is attached to a bicycle. It is used to carry loads as also passengers, who sit on the flatbed and hang their legs off the sides.

Used in rural areas.

In India, they change tyres when it is totally bald! :))

Here is some tips:

One option is to stick to the tyre your car originally came with. But remember that the original rubber isn't necessarily the best. But before you begin shopping around, you need to do your homework well or risk ending up in gumboots for a ballroom dance. It's important that car owners take time off to choose tyres themselves. Begin by answering a few questions to put you on the right track.

What is the year, make and model of your vehicle?
    This information gives the tyre dealer an idea of what type of tyre will suit your car best.

What is the brand, model, size, and type of your current tyres?
    Just look at the sidewall of your tyres. Always consult your owner's manual and your retailer before purchasing new tyres. If your current tyres did not come with the car when it was new, be sure to check all four tyres and ensure they are the same.

Do you like your current tyres?
    Do you like the way your tyres make your car handle? Do they give a good ride or are they noisy? How do they look? Feel and sound? Or how they make your car look? Make a list of the things you like or dislike about your current tyres. This will help guide your dealer to the tyre that best meets your needs.

What do you want from your tyres when you are driving?
    Do you want a soft, comfortable ride, or a tyre that provides sharp handling and superb stability. You may want both, but that is difficult to achieve. A tyre designed for ride comfort will not handle as crisply as a performance tyre and vice- versa.

What are your driving conditions?
    Do you drive mostly around town or on highways? Smooth or rough roads? Are the roads mainly dry or do you live in an area where the monsoon is strong.

How much do you want to spend?
    Your dealer will be able to show you various price options for tyres that meet your driving needs. Know what you're getting for the price. Be sure the price of the tyre, tax, mounting and balancing are all included in your estimate before agreeing to purchase the tyres

More often than not, you are likely to be bombarded by a barrage of technical jargon from tyre dealers retailers. My advice is to visit a multi-brand tyre counter - this way you can get to see various tyres from different companies - unless you have a specific brand in mind.

Once you have zeroed in on the tyre best suited for you, make sure they are mounted on an automatic fitment machine and the wheel rims are free from any dust particles, which could be damaging. Once the tyres are fitted onto the rims, they should be balanced and preferably aligned for optimum mileage. It is not a bad idea to keep a note of the tyre numbers and the mileage reading at the time of fitment of your new tyres for future reference.
    Last edited by Ray; 12 Nov 08,, 05:54.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
      My 2004 Ford Ranger should really have some new tires. The choices are overwhelming and I don't have a clue. Put on about 25,000 miles per year these days. The set I have on now are original and have lasted so far 83,000 miles. Any suggestions?
      What were the original tires? Is it 2 or 4WD? Do you drive in snow or heavy rain? Do you do a lot of high-speed highway driving?

Comment

I prefer black
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Do you drive all-year tires or use separate for winter and rest of the year?
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

83K miles? Were you flying? I think the avg is far less than what you got out of that poor rubber.

Go to http://tirerack.com punch in your details and it will spit out what tire you need. Also, if you have Costco membership they run specials all the time, so you can get a good deal on them.
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Don't you guys have minimal tread depth laws?

Comment

From what I know thats really really good. I stick to Goodyear on my CTS, but in the winter the rwd just kills me (don't find it *necessary to purchase different set of tires for winter)

I looked up a forum and some dude wrote this referring to his Ford Ranger:

I just replaced the stock BF Goodrich tires on my truck with Kumhos. I was a bit hesitant to purchase Korean tires as visions of Hyundais crossed my mind. However after reading the ratings and reviews of these tires on tirerack I went ahead and ordered a set. Have 4k miles on them with reduced road noise, better ride and handling. Course the BF Goodrich weren't worn just old and hard. For less than a $80 a piece they were a very good choice considering also that they are truck/SUV rated tires.
                Don't know if that helps

Comment

To answer the questions:

Tread wear right now is in the 3/32 - 4/32 range. Mostly highway driving, we have 5 seasons in Wisconsin - rain, snow, highway road construction, cold and hot. There isn't any changeout during the different seasons. Truck is 2 wheel drive.

Can't recall offhand the brand of tires that are on it, but they are black and inflated. :))
                  Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Stay with what works, Perhaps a little more aggressive tire depending on how your truck acts in the snow and how much snow you actually get. BF Goodrich makes some good ones and you might even find a substitue such as Cooper Tires in case the price is a concern.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

83,000 with that much driving in that short of a time is a sign of a good tire.

Replace them with what is on there now.
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Albany Rifles has a good idea. If you like your current tires stay with them as they have served you well.
                        Another option would be to get a set of Michelins or bf Goodrich from a nearby Costco. Costco is a great place to get tires as they are open 7 days a week and stay open until 8:00 on weekdays so their hours are more convenient than the average tire stores. The only downside is that you have to be a member of Costco or know someone who is.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Ranger uses pretty common truck tires. Go to Costco and pick out one that fits. Remember, you don't want the type that lasts a long time. That means the rubber is much harder and won't have good grip.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I think there is a CostCo around somewhere....a fella from work is a member. Hmmmmmm, must be nice to co-worker. Maybe.

Comment

To answer the questions:

Tread wear right now is in the 3/32 - 4/32 range. Mostly highway driving, we have 5 seasons in Wisconsin - rain, snow, highway road construction, cold and hot. There isn't any changeout during the different seasons. Truck is 2 wheel drive.

Can't recall offhand the brand of tires that are on it, but they are black and inflated. :))
                              I've got a 2-dr Explorer, but 4WD. Weather in NH is similar to yours, but I also have gravel and mud off road at times. I went through an extensive search for the right replacement tires earlier this year. I even got input from guys on a professional road racing team. Right now, I can't remember which tires I wound up with, but they are working great. I will check my tires and post tomorrow.

One note of caution: I was replacing a set of OEM Goodyears. I found them to be durable and handle well on dry roads, but they got squirrely in heavy rain on the Interstate, and my braking distance in slush was way too long. I would stay away from Goodyear light truck tires if you have to drive on wet roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X