PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis and Oz, need your help

Officer of Engineers
03 Nov 08,, 22:53
How do I line up this bugger with the .30-06?

Wendell the Wallaby escapes from zoo in snowy eastern Ontario (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/10/30/ot-kangaroo-081030.html?ref=rss)

Or is it too much gun?

ozjohn39
03 Nov 08,, 23:43
OeE,

For God's sake, BE CAREFUL, and make your first shot count. A wounded Wallaby has bee known to tear a Canadian to bits in seconds flat.

The claws on their hind feet can extend almost a 12" and are razor sharp. One downward stroke will have you gutted and in your death throes inside a minute. They are carnivorous, and are particularly partial to a tasty Canadian rump!

Do not say you have not been warned!

John.

PS,

A .30-06 will not be NEARLY enough. I suggest a .50cal if you cannot get your hands on a 40mm Bofors.

Debbie
04 Nov 08,, 00:50
How do I line up this bugger with the .30-06? Or is it too much gun?

A real man wouldn't need a gun.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh dear, may have stepped over the line this time.......nah.......

Bigfella
04 Nov 08,, 01:15
Poor little bloke. Must be cold & terrified. Hope he is found soon.

Southie
04 Nov 08,, 01:19
Poor little bloke. Must be cold & terrified. Hope he is found soon.

But not by OoE! :biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
04 Nov 08,, 02:45
Poor little bloke. Must be cold & terrified. Hope he is found soon.It's going up to +17C tomorrow. 2nd day of Deer Season though. The gangs near there are debating whether to try for the $1000 and return him live ... or see what the big rat taste like.

Officer of Engineers
04 Nov 08,, 02:46
But not by OoE! :biggrin:I've already put in my request for a chop.

Officer of Engineers
04 Nov 08,, 02:46
A .30-06 will not be NEARLY enough. I suggest a .50cal if you cannot get your hands on a 40mm Bofors.Hey, I tried sending the wife but she won't get out of bed.

Parihaka
04 Nov 08,, 05:35
For god sake stomp it quick, otherwise before you know it, it'll set up shop on an island somewhere out the back and start littering the place with empty beer cans, belching and farting, and speaking Canadian with a truly horrid accent.

Then it it'll insist that hockey be played in short shorts called stubbies, steal all your best stuff, make an alliance with America behind your back and try and pretend that Wallabies can play Rugby. Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Bigfella
04 Nov 08,, 09:49
For god sake stomp it quick, otherwise before you know it, it'll set up shop on an island somewhere out the back and start littering the place with empty beer cans, belching and farting, and speaking Canadian with a truly horrid accent.

Then it it'll insist that hockey be played in short shorts called stubbies, steal all your best stuff, make an alliance with America behind your back and try and pretend that Wallabies can play Rugby. Terminate with extreme prejudice.

You are a bitter, bitter man Pari. Now how many Rugby World Cups have New Zealand won again?:))

Bigfella
04 Nov 08,, 09:54
It's going up to +17C tomorrow. 2nd day of Deer Season though. The gangs near there are debating whether to try for the $1000 and return him live ... or see what the big rat taste like.

At the risk of encouraging you, it probably tastes pretty good. I have only ever had Kangaroo (which you can buy in supermarkets here) and it is great. Leanest red meat you can get & damned fine eating.

If only it were possible to properly farm the damned things we could kick out some of the hard-hooved European imports hereabouts. Unfortunately herding Kangaroos is even harder than herding cats - damned things are VERY fast & will kill themselves on fences rather than form an orderly herd. Damn.

Shiny Capstar
04 Nov 08,, 15:48
We have quite a few wild wallaby's in Britain believe it or not....... so do any tankies around here feel like lending me a tank so I can go around and do a bit of hunting?:biggrin:

Dreadnought
04 Nov 08,, 17:47

Wendell the Wallaby escapes from zoo in snowy eastern Ontario (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/10/30/ot-kangaroo-081030.html?ref=rss)

Or is it too much gun?

Sir,
IMO, You can never have too much gun. Only too little.:))

I would go with the 30/06 it will be much cleaner then say 30/30.

dave lukins
04 Nov 08,, 18:13
We have quite a few wild wallaby's in Britain believe it or not....... so do any tankies around here feel like lending me a tank so I can go around and do a bit of hunting?:biggrin:

Now that the Rudyard is protected, to a degree... maybe a tad of wallaby hunting could take it's place. Sunday morning, a nice drop of stirrup cup then away to the sounds of baying hounds. At least the saying "“The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible” would be made redundant:)) Tally-Ho!

Dreadnought
04 Nov 08,, 18:15
Now that the Rudyard is protected, to a degree... maybe a tad of wallaby hunting could take it's place. Sunday morning, a nice drop of stirrup cup then away to the sounds of baying hounds. At least the saying "“The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible” would be made redundant:)) Tally-Ho!

:)):))

Parihaka
04 Nov 08,, 18:48
You are a bitter, bitter man Pari.Nah, I luve yous'e all reully

Now how many Rugby World Cups have New Zealand won again?:))
All the ones that matter;)

Shiny Capstar
04 Nov 08,, 19:08

:biggrin::biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
04 Nov 08,, 19:19
None of this answers the primary question. What kind of terrain should I be looking to site up ... eeeerrrr, I mean rescue this critter.

Dreadnought
04 Nov 08,, 19:31
None of this answers the primary question. What kind of terrain should I be looking to site up ... eeeerrrr, I mean rescue this critter.

Sir,
Stop being humane and whip out that Javeline we know you carry. No worries for sight we have heat seeking.:))

Parihaka
04 Nov 08,, 19:39

it likes open grassland, hates bush, and a decent slingshot will do the trick.

ozjohn39
04 Nov 08,, 20:14
Rumour has it that many Emu farms went broke back in the 80s, and some just let the big birds go free.

They are supposed to be fairly common in the US now.

Can any from the US confirm this?

John.

Officer of Engineers
04 Nov 08,, 20:22
We had an emu farm that went under and the guy just let his birds go. None of them survived the winter.

Southie
04 Nov 08,, 21:14

Rescue...my A$$...we know you plan on eating the poor critter...out there all alone in the cold...poor thing!

sappersgt
04 Nov 08,, 22:04
Rescue...my A$$...we know you plan on eating the poor critter...out there all alone in the cold...poor thing!

Not to worry, the Colonel will be sure to warm up the poor creature. Probably somewheres around 375 degrees for 35 minutes.;)

ozjohn39
04 Nov 08,, 23:52
"None of them survived the winter."

NOBODY survives Canadian winters, do they?????? I thought they all migrated to FL for the winter.

John.

Officer of Engineers
05 Nov 08,, 13:02
Wendell the Wallaby sighted near Lombardy
The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Sunday, November 02, 2008

Wendell the Wallaby continued to wander through eastern Ontario yesterday, after escaping from Saunders Country Critters in Kemptville. The kangaroo-like marsupial was spotted last night at around 9 p.m. near Highway 15 and Highway 5, between Lombardy and Portland. "I am feeling optimistic again," said owner Carla Saunders, after a long day of searching. Anyone who sees Wendell is asked to call 613-258-1108.

That's only 17 kms from my hunt camp.

Officer of Engineers
05 Nov 08,, 13:06
Woman may have seen Wendell the Wallaby near Westport, Ont.
Last Updated: Monday, November 3, 2008 | 11:39 AM ET Comments14Recommend15
CBC News
Carla Saunders holds a wallaby similar to Wendell, the one who is still missing. Carla Saunders holds a wallaby similar to Wendell, the one who is still missing. (Rebecca Zandbergen/CBC)

A small wallaby was still missing Monday from an eastern Ontario zoo after escaping during a snowstorm last week. However, there was a suspected wallaby sighting near Westport, Ont., Sunday night.

Owners Carla and Gary Saunders are now offering a $1,000 reward for the safe return of Wendell, a three-year-old Bennett's red-necked wallaby who has been on the loose for five days from Saunders Country Critters in Oxford Station, Ont., about 45 kilometres south of Ottawa.

Wendell, who was born in captivity and hand-raised by the Saunders in an artificial pouch, escaped after a tree fell and breached the fence around his pen during a storm last Tuesday night.

As of Monday morning, the last suspected sighting of the wallaby was made by Tammis Pringle on Sunday night near Crow Lake, about 80 kilometres west of Oxford Station. She saw an animal at the side of the road as she was driving home from her job in Westport, Ont., around 6 p.m.

"And as I got close enough to it, it kind of sat back on its haunches and it looked at me," Pringle said. She said she wasn't sure what the animal was, but thought of Wendell as she passed it.

She turned around less than 50 metres later, but when she did so, it was gone.

Gary Saunders said that before Pringle's sighting, the wallaby, which weighs about 20 kilograms and is about one metre tall, was last spotted Saturday night in Lombardy, outside Smiths Falls.

Deer hunting season opened Monday morning, and Saunders hopes a group of hunters will see him.

"They've all got radios. Hopefully they can surround him and catch him."
Won't go hungry

Saunders said he's not worried about Wendell going hungry or thirsty as there are lots of alfalfa fields, apple orchards and fresh water sources around, but he fears the wallaby could get hit by a car or fall prey to wolves or dogs.

Wendell had previously been seen near Athens on Thursday night, then Frankville.

Saunders Country Critters is home to 120 animals, including llamas, ring-tailed lemurs, fennec foxes and sulcata desert tortoises. It breeds many of the animals to sell to other zoos.

Wallabies and kangaroos are marsupials native to Australia that raise their young in pouches on their bodies.

Oh yeah, sure, we'll catch him.

Albany Rifles
05 Nov 08,, 15:17
If Canada is like Virginia, I don't want to be anywhere near a bunch of hunters who "surround" their prey! Sounds like a circular firing squad!

This is more my idea of how do deal with that marsupial!!!

Jay
05 Nov 08,, 15:34
Oh yeah, sure, we'll catch him.

Col,
One for me, pls.

http://www.benjaminchristie.com/content/upload/images/blog%20images/how-cook-kangaroo-meat.jpg

Word of caution:
http://www.awpc.org.au/kangaroos/book_files/diseases.htm

Officer of Engineers
05 Nov 08,, 17:16
I'll be darned. Not Wendell but just walked out to my porch, saw an 8 point and took him ... now, I got to clean him.

Dreadnought
05 Nov 08,, 17:57
Excellent Sir,
mmmmm venison.:)

Officer of Engineers
15 Nov 08,, 06:37
He had to go and freeze to death

Wallaby dies on walkabout in Canada

1 day ago

OTTAWA (AFP) — An intrepid wallaby that escaped from its pen at an exotic zoo and went on an 80-kilometer (50-mile) walkabout across eastern Canada was found dead on the side of a road Thursday, zookeepers said.

Wendell, a three-year-old Bennett's Red Necked wallaby, was reported missing on October 29 after a storm toppled a tree which destroyed the animal's pen at a facility near the capital Ottawa.

The animal, native to eastern Australia, and three others as well as a kangaroo, "just hopped out of their broken enclosure," Carla Saunders, co-owner of Saunders Country Critters and Garden Centre said last month.

But only Wendell strayed very far, she said.

On Thursday, Saunders told AFP: "We found Wendell's remains in an open field several kilometers (miles) from his pen."

A necropsy would be performed to determine the animal's cause of death, she added.

In recent weeks, Canadian media had traced the wallaby's steps from its Kemptville, Ontario zoo to nearby Smith Falls, Athens and Ottawa.

Wendell sightings were reported almost daily, and Canadians monitored its adventures closely, but the animal eluded capture, despite a 1,000-dollar reward for its safe return.

Condolences poured in Thursday on websites that posted news of Wendell's demise. "That is very sad. Poor little guy," said Michelle Dewar on broadcaster CTV's website.

"Oh no! Our household was following Wendell's progress each day, and rooting for his safe return. What sad news!" echoed Jo Van Herpt.

Wallabies are not well-adapted to Canada's colder weather, "but Wendell's a bit chunky because he was well-fed, and there's a lot of leaves for food and snow for water for him" in Canada's outback, Saunders had said.

Predators such as wolves and coyotes had also been a concern.

TopHatter
15 Nov 08,, 06:56

Or is it too much gun?

He had to go and freeze to death

That's a shame :frown:

I was just about to suggest a SPAAG instead of that .30-06. :redface:

gf0012-aust
15 Nov 08,, 07:18

Or is it too much gun?

too much gun. professional roo shooters use .177's they want the skin intact as much as possible.

don't know why they got a wallaby from the lower regions as we do have the little buggers that hop around quite happily in the alps/snow country - fat and furry....

ozjohn39
15 Nov 08,, 10:29
Slightly OT for our Canadian friends, but over here we have a ZILLION kangaroos. Estimates vary between 20 and 50 million depending on drought conditions.

We have an annual cull that varies between 2 and 7 million every year. Most are male but a certain % are female. And an interesting point is that an adult, female, kangaroo is ALWAYS pregnant with up to 3 embryos at once, and in bad conditions will pause the development of them until times get better.

IN addition to the annual cull, it is estimated that about 7000 kangaroos are killed on Australian roads EVERY night!

John.

gf0012-aust
15 Nov 08,, 11:22
I've got a mob of about 20 roos hanging around the local golf course - the dog just ignores them, not worth the sniff. (Thank god as I lost a good dog to a big red one year - poor bugger got split down the middle)