PDA

View Full Version : Bigfella Cracks the Ton

Bigfella
02 Nov 08,, 07:05
1000 posts & still irritating people.:biggrin: Whoda thunk it?

And somehow managed to avoid banishment (big thanks to the kindly mods). Thank you WAB, its been fun & its only getting better.:)

Ray
02 Nov 08,, 10:12
Congrats.

Attempting the 30,000 mark without disruption ! ;)

Totally domesticated and growlng!

Mobbme
02 Nov 08,, 10:18
Congrats Bigfella :)

Herodotus
02 Nov 08,, 10:41
Congrats BF. I'm not too far behind. :))

Bigfella
02 Nov 08,, 10:49
Congrats.

Attempting the 30,000 mark without disruption ! ;)

Totally domesticated and growlng!

Now thats just showing off!:))

Shek
02 Nov 08,, 12:02

And somehow managed to avoid banishment (big thanks to the kindly mods). Thank you WAB, its been fun & its only getting better.:)

BF,
I hate to burst your bubble, but we Yanks consider 2000 pounds to be one ton. I think you have a ways to go :))

Tarek Morgen
02 Nov 08,, 12:16
but you yanks call this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/A_bottle_of_Budweiser.JPG not just budweiser, but also beer...so one has to seriously question your judgement :p

Shek
02 Nov 08,, 12:23
but you yanks call this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/A_bottle_of_Budweiser.JPG not just budweiser, but also beer...so one has to seriously question your judgement :p

Hey, that's a Belgian beer! Go talk to them.

Tarek Morgen
02 Nov 08,, 12:27
Can't. Whenever I try to go to Belgium, I end up in France.

Mobbme
02 Nov 08,, 13:06
Can't. Whenever I try to go to Belgium, I end up in France.

roflzz

Parihaka
02 Nov 08,, 16:35
lordy I must be getting soft:rolleyes:

Bigfella
02 Nov 08,, 21:42
BF,
I hate to burst your bubble, but we Yanks consider 2000 pounds to be one ton. I think you have a ways to go :))

This from a nation that still measures in fractions of an inch. I'll take it under advisement.:))

Bigfella
02 Nov 08,, 21:43
lordy I must be getting soft:rolleyes:

Nah, just too busy batting away swarms of Chinese & then US Election trolls. I'm sure you'll get back to me soon.;)

Shek
02 Nov 08,, 21:49
This from a nation that still measures in fractions of an inch.

No personal insults about manhood, please :eek:

dave lukins
03 Nov 08,, 01:13
No personal insults about manhood, please :eek:

It's ok, he's talking about Aussie men..They're used to it;):biggrin:

Debbie
03 Nov 08,, 01:37
Thought this thread was going to be about something totally different. I wander the WAB dazed and confused.

xerxes
03 Nov 08,, 01:40
Congrat 1000k, BIGFELLA

I consider yours posts as rare commodoties

goodluck on the doctorate

Ironduke
03 Nov 08,, 01:43
Congrats. What are you studying for your doctorate?

Shamus
03 Nov 08,, 01:46
Congratulations Bigfella:)

SlipKnot
03 Nov 08,, 02:03
Happy T day

Shek
03 Nov 08,, 02:58

In general, he's looking at the role of the media in the Vietnam War. I'm not sure how narrow or broad he's going with that :confused:

gunnut
03 Nov 08,, 04:50

Nice.

I thought you were going for the heaviest man in the world record from just reading the title.:biggrin:

Bigfella
03 Nov 08,, 10:13

Matt,

The one question for which there is NEVER a short answer. Apologies.:)

Shek got the broad topic - media & the Vietnam War. I did my Honours thesis on TV coverage of the War but for my PhD have switched to newspapers. This was largely motivated by the difficulty of finding source material, especially outside the US (few Australian programs of the time wers archived). Additionally, TV coverage of the war is a well ploughed field - hard to do original scholarship.

My actual topic is a comparative analysis of Newspaper coverage of the Vietnam War in America, Australia, Singapore & Malaysia. I am focussing on particular moments & images: the self-immolation of Thic Quang Duc in 1965; the committment of Australian & US troops in 1965; the Tet Offensive & the execution of Nguyen Van Lem in 1968; the 'Napalm Girl' (Kim Phuc) & the 'Christmas Bombing' in 1972; the collapse of the RVN in March-May 1975. By sampling moments I am hoping to cove the breadth of the war without actually having to study in depth 13 years of coverage. For some of the images I am looking at media beyond my 3-4 main countries & how particular images have been treated subsequently (including by the communist Vietnamese).

I have also written an article on TV and newspaper coverage of the War, focussing on Tet.

If anyone is ever interested in reading that or anything else I have written, or just wants some good references on the topic, just PM me. Always happy to share the knowledge (got to do something useful with the bloody stuff:))).

Bigfella
03 Nov 08,, 10:14
Nice.

I thought you were going for the heaviest man in the world record from just reading the title.:biggrin:

Not if my doctor has any say in the matter.:biggrin:

ArmchairGeneral
04 Nov 08,, 19:03
Congrats. Always a pleasure to read your posts. Or almost always, anyhow. :biggrin: