Ear Infections in Toddlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Infections in Toddlers

Guys and gals! Just curious if anyone had kids who had to have ear tubes due to chronic ear infections. Mine will be two in December and has been diagnosed with Chronic Otitis. She is scheduled to have ear tubes placed sometime next month.

Can anyone share experiences please? I don't know anyone who went through this with their kids, and am pretty stresedd about the upcoming procedure.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Walking Dead View Post
    Guys and gals! Just curious if anyone had kids who had to have ear tubes due to chronic ear infections. Mine will be two in December and has been diagnosed with Chronic Otitis. She is scheduled to have ear tubes placed sometime next month.

Can anyone share experiences please? I don't know anyone who went through this with their kids, and am pretty stresedd about the upcoming procedure.

Thanks in advance!
    I had them when I was a toddler, but I obviously do not remember them. Good luck...I am sure she will be fine!
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

My brother had them when he was younger (back in the 70's). The only thing I really remember about them was he had specially designed ear "plugs" that were molded to the inside of his ear so water wouldn't get inside. Other than that he didn't have any problems. I'm sure everything will be just fine!
      “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
      sigpic

Comment

WD,both of my kids had to have tubes when they were younger,my daughter had multiple sets.If the procedure is still the same,they'll give your daughter a "kiddie cocktail" to relax her(after seeing my daughter's reaction to it I wanted one).The placement of the tubes doesn't take very long and neither of my kids experienced any trauma from the procedure.The difference after the tubes were put in was remarkable,they were both much more comfortable and we started sleeping again;).Good luck and don't worry:).
        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dead View Post

Thanks in advance!

If the eustachian tube becomes blocked by swelling or congestion in the nose and throat, by swelling of the mucous membrane in the middle ear, or by swelling of the mucous membrane of the eustachian tube itself, the air pressure in the middle ear cannot equalize properly. A negative pressure develops, and if the obstruction is prolonged, fluid may be drawn into the air space of the middle ear from the mucosa. This may occur with a cold or flu virus and is a common cause of ear infections in children (serous otitis media). Serous otitis media usually resolves without treatment, but may require a course of antibiotics or steroids. It is a common reason for placement of tubes in children and adults.
          You are right to be concerned but I sure she will be in safe hands. The "good" thing is that they have caught it whilst she is very young, and hopefully she won't remember anything about it when it is all cleared up. If possible, don't let her see you are worried as she will pick that up better than Radar:)...Good luck

Comment

I had tubes when I was a kid. These days, they really shouldn't be necessary. For some children it does more for them to take them off all dairy for awhile and have chiropractic sessions. Also, if anyone smokes in the house stop immediately. Sometimes these things are more allergy related.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Thank you all, I really appreciate the kind words and your time. This has helped alleviate some of my stress. I spoke to a former colleague of mine, whose kids had ear tubes, and he said there is not much to worry about. This resonates with what the doctor said as well.

She is a day care baby - both mom and I are working parents, and unlike others we don't have much family to rely on to take care of her while we are at work. She is constantly exchanging colds with her peers at the day care.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                I had tubes when I was a kid. These days, they really shouldn't be necessary. For some children it does more for them to take them off all dairy for awhile and have chiropractic sessions. Also, if anyone smokes in the house stop immediately. Sometimes these things are more allergy related.
                Great point - you know neither mom nor I smoke however, she is drinking milk currently, and she also likes to have yougurt in the mornings. We took her off yougurt already, and as for milk, it makes sense to do it - since it contributes to phlegm in her nose.

As for chiropractor - I think I will propose this to mom. You are the second person that tells me to do this. My coworker took his daughter to the chiropractor and it worker for them.

All in all, we can give it a shot. Whats the worse that can happen, if we move fast, you know.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                  WD,both of my kids had to have tubes when they were younger,my daughter had multiple sets.If the procedure is still the same,they'll give your daughter a "kiddie cocktail" to relax her(after seeing my daughter's reaction to it I wanted one).The placement of the tubes doesn't take very long and neither of my kids experienced any trauma from the procedure.The difference after the tubes were put in was remarkable,they were both much more comfortable and we started sleeping again;).Good luck and don't worry:).
                  Yep! That's what the doc told us as well. I think I may get a second opinion after all. Thanks very much!

Comment

How about ear infections in 49 year olders? I am battling two as we speak!!!! I thoguht I put this behind me years ago! I guess I've been listening to too many campaign adds.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      How about ear infections in 49 year olders? I am battling two as we speak!!!! I thoguht I put this behind me years ago! I guess I've been listening to too many campaign adds.
                      That is insane! Ouch!

Sorry to hear that! Although I am sure you are in no danger of ear tubes.

Comment

Working...
                      X