X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Biased against McCain?

Why McCain is getting hosed in the press

Some see a motherlode of bias in this year's election coverage. But there are other factors at play.

Politico political editor Charles Mahtesian was e-mailing the other day with a Republican lobbyist who signed off with a plea that sounded more like a taunt: “Keep it balanced.”

A reader e-mailed us with the same sentiment in different language. “Are you f***ing joking! Your bias has stooped to an all-time low. Wait, it will probably get worse as election day nears.” Those asterisks, by the way, are hers, not ours.

And get a load of this one, from someone in Rochester, N.Y., who did not like our analysis of the final presidential debate. “You guys are awfully tough on McCain. There may be some legitimacy to the claim of press bias. Mom.”

We were all set to dismiss Harris’ mother as a crank. Same for VandeHei’s: a conservative dismayed by what she sees as kid-glove treatment of Barack Obama. Then along came a study — funded by the prestigious Pew Research Center, no less — suggesting at first blush, at least, that they may be on to something.

The Project for Excellence in Journalism’s researchers found that John McCain, over the six weeks since the Republican convention, got four times as many negative stories as positive ones. The study found six out of 10 McCain stories were negative.

What’s more, Obama had more than twice as many positive stories (36 percent) as McCain — and just half the percentage of negative (29 percent).

You call that balanced?

OK, let’s just get this over with: Yes, in the closing weeks of this election, John McCain and Sarah Palin are getting hosed in the press, and at Politico.

And, yes, based on a combined 35 years in the news business we’d take an educated guess — nothing so scientific as a Pew study — that Obama will win the votes of probably 80 percent or more of journalists covering the 2008 election. Most political journalists we know are centrists — instinctually skeptical of ideological zealotry — but with at least a mild liberal tilt to their thinking, particularly on social issues.

So what?

Before answering the question, indulge us in noting that the subject of ideological bias in the news media is a drag. The people who care about it typically come at the issue with scalding biases of their own. Any statement journalists make on the subject can and will be used against them. So the incentive is to make bland and guarded statements. Even honest ones, meanwhile, will tend to strike partisans as evasive or self-delusional.

Here goes anyway.

There have been moments in the general election when the one-sidedness of our site — when nearly every story was some variation on how poorly McCain was doing or how well Barack Obama was faring — has made us cringe.

As it happens, McCain’s campaign is going quite poorly and Obama’s is going well. Imposing artificial balance on this reality would be a bias of its own.

Politico was not included in the Pew study. But our researcher Alex Burns pulled out his highlighter pen and did his own study of Politico's October stories last week: 110 stories advanced a narrative that was more favorable to Obama than McCain. Sixty-nine did the opposite.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14982.html
    Yes
    59.46%
    No
    40.54%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Duke are you actually surprised at this? You should well look up just where the campaign finacing is coming from. Obama gets alot from outside the country. Does that tell you anything?;)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Isn't it just possible that McCain, his running Babe and their incompetent campaign organization have generated their own negative press.

People have noticed the disgustingly slanderous and racist nature of their campaign and the press has reported accordingly.

McCain, Bush, neo conservatism and the ship they sail is sinking.
      I, for one will throw no life rings. I'll just wave goodbye.

Like I said, Karma

Bob Higgins
      Worldwide Sawdust

Comment

Originally posted by rlh974 View Post
        Isn't it just possible that McCain, his running Babe and their incompetent campaign organization have generated their own negative press.

People have noticed the disgustingly slanderous and racist nature of their campaign and the press has reported accordingly.

McCain, Bush, neo conservatism and the ship they sail is sinking.
        I, for one will throw no life rings. I'll just wave goodbye.

Like I said, Karma

Bob Higgins
        Worldwide Sawdust
        You got anything to back it up?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Media as a whole just following its "liberal" tradition is bias against the Republican party presidential nomineer, whoever he or she may be.

Comment

name one racist comment McCain or Palin has said during this campain. Just because the guy is black doesnt mean that everyone who disagrees with him is a racist.
            Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
            Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
            Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
            Listen to the words long written down
            When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie View Post
              name one racist comment McCain or Palin has said during this campain. Just because the guy is black doesnt mean that everyone who disagrees with him is a racist.
              I beg to differ. He's not black. He's African-American.;)
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

A funnier bit of info:

The Dems protest that McCain is too old and may die in office. He hasnt smoked in 28 years according the New York Times (Dem dominated)

Did you know that Obama is a chain smoker? The Dems wont tell you that though.;) LOOK IT UP!;)

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  I beg to differ. He's not black. He's African-American.;)
                  You know how much i dislike hyphonated people, he better damn well be american period if he is running for president. :)
                  Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
                  Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
                  Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
                  Listen to the words long written down
                  When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

The European media certainly are. They all hope for Obama to win. Naturally this has no effect on the elections, but the Europeans do think McCain is a dendroid and Obama is the epitome of all things good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      A funnier bit of info:

The Dems protest that McCain is too old and may die in office. He hasnt smoked in 28 years according the New York Times (Dem dominated)

Did you know that Obama is a chain smoker? The Dems wont tell you that though.;) LOOK IT UP!;)
                      As per Obama's doctor, his med stats read as follows:

Laboratory studies included triglycerides of 44(normal under 150), cholesterol 173 (normal under 200), HDL 68 (normal over 40), and LDL 96 (normal under 130). Chem 24, urinalysis and CBC were normal, PSA was 0.6, very good. An EKG was normal.
                      I am no doctor, but this seems healthy to me. Also, Dr. Sanjay Gupta did a report on CNN about the health of the candidates.

He was also one of the guys who got a chance to take a look at the medical records of McCain. His assertion was that going by family history, McCaim may live upto his mid-eighties. I don't know if the melanoma was taken into account for this though

About Obama he noted that the candidate had stopped smoking and is quite healthy given his lifestyle. I think the assertion was that Obama will live for at least 8 more years ;)
                      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Mccain too old, too cranky, too stupid

McCain is the the second worst candidate for President. Only Palin is worse.

What is wrong with paying your fair share of taxes? We all live in a great society and benefit from the laws protection of our government which requires funds to operate, (taxes). We all. Benefit so we all must share the cost. The more you benefit the more you owe.

Comment

Have those people also noticed the vitriolic hatred toward Palin for being the wrong sort of woman:))
                          I've never seen more mysogenistic hatred coming from Americas left
                          Last edited by Parihaka; 28 Oct 08,, 20:15.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by retiredfirstsgt View Post

What is wrong with paying your fair share of taxes? We all live in a great society and benefit from the laws protection of our government which requires funds to operate, (taxes). We all. Benefit so we all must share the cost. The more you benefit the more you owe.
                            Sir,

Please be aware that there are other threads where you can discuss the pros en and contras of both candidates.
                            Also, kindly introduce yourself in the appropriate subforum before posting. It is nice to know who one is writing to.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredfirstsgt View Post

Sir, might I point out that both mentioned above still have much more experience then Obama hands down their resume's are incompatible. And even if you threaten the Dems to be beaten to death they still wont face that reality no matter the cost. Point blank Obama has zip for experience as compared to those two.

I have no problem with paying my taxes but why should I pay for those who dont wish to strive as hard as I have and then share in my reaped benefits after sowing paid taxes and education I paid for plus many years of hardwork.

Comment

Working...
                              X