My hometown just made CNN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hometown just made CNN

MIAMISBURG, Ohio (AP) -- An explosion at a chemical plant on Sunday injured a worker, blew off part of the plant roof and sent people scrambling for safety from falling debris.

The blast happened as firefighters and six employees at the Isotec plant worked to contain a nitric oxide leak. No one else was in the plant at the time.

About 2,000 people living within a mile of the plant in the Dayton suburb were evacuated as a precaution against a possible second explosion, Miami Township fire Chief David Fulmer said. Other chemicals were stored in the area where the explosion happened, including a large tank of carbon monoxide, he said.

Investigators had not determined the cause of the leak or the explosion, Fulmer said.

Fulmer said the plant was heavily damaged, and a witness said the explosion blew off part of the roof.

One worker was treated for a cut on the head, Fulmer said.

John DiPietro, spokesman for Miami Township police, was standing near the plant entrance when the explosion knocked him into a truck and the area was pelted with pieces of concrete and metal.

"I've never been this scared in my life," he said.

The plant is owned by Simga-Aldrich Corp. in St. Louis, which supplies chemicals to research laboratories. A spill of nitric oxide at the plant in 1998 forced an evacuation of a golf course and about 50 residents.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/0....ap/index.html
    ------

The explosion happened about a half mile from my house. Felt like someone picked it up and then dropped it. No serious damage down, no one in my family hurt. I've had to evacurate to my parent's house and I'm typing this on my Dad's computer.

I'm suppose to travel to Michigan tomorrow on business for a week. If they don't let me back to my house tomorrow, my wardrobe will consist of a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.
    :dontcare

Not sure when I'll be on again. Just thought I'd check in if any of you folks that knew me heard about da boom.

How lucky....

Comment

I'm back. Alive but grumpy.

Comment

Did you have to evacuate?
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Yep. Had to round up the zoo of pets and headed over to my paren'ts house for that night. I had a business trip scheduled for Monday, so I had to talk my way through the police barricade so I could pack for it. They ended the evac order about 45 minutes after I left for Michigan. I got back -looked at the mess of the plant - and then promptly left for Indianapolis for the US Grand Prix. It's been very busy for me, but at least it is getting more entertaining.

Comment

yeah the best part of the deal.....Schumy won Indy race :8
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

It was a neat race to watch. The constant weather changes made it kind of tough on us in the crowd, but it really added to the strategy. Drivers' teams that guessed wrong on when to put on rain tires really suffered.

Comment

but Ferrari's game plan was nasty...Montoyo..poor bastard... :D

Comment

So do you think Schumy's teammate intentionally got himself hit by Montoyo?

Comment

yes sir :)

Comment

Working...
                    X