PDA

View Full Version : Story of Claus von Stauffenberg

xerxes
27 Oct 08,, 00:05
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film)

Valkyrie is a 2008 historical thriller film directed by Bryan Singer and starring Tom Cruise. The film is based on the 20 July plot of German army officers to assassinate Adolf Hitler and marks the re-teaming of Singer and producer/screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie. Cruise will portray the leader of the plot, Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.

Cruise's casting caused controversy among German politicians and members of Stauffenberg's family due to the actor's practice of Scientology, though German newspapers and filmmakers gave support to the film to spread global awareness of von Stauffenberg's attempted plot. The filmmakers of Valkyrie initially had difficulty setting up filming locations in Germany, but they were later given leeway to film in locations pertaining to the film's story, such as Berlin's historic Bendlerblock.

The release date for Valkyrie has changed numerous times, including a brief move to February 14, 2009. After several positive test screenings, the film's release was moved up to December 26, 2008.

T_igger_cs_30
27 Oct 08,, 00:14
I never understand why these top actors always want to portray others, other nationalities, I suppose to show there "acting ability, Cruise a fine actor in his own right, but Germany has many fine actors also and the role of von Stauffenberg would be better suited to a German actor, and in my mind give the film more credibitlity......just my opinion.