Colt Single Action Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Single Action Army

1) What are you views on "The gun that won the West"?
    2) Is it possible to have it made/modified to double action?

Its not my area of expertise, but I think Colt made a double action revolver in the 1880 that looked similar to the SAA. I think it was called the Lightning. With all the cowboy action shooting stuff around, someone might make a replica.
    Rule 303

Comment

I have a replica of a three screw SAA made my Interarms- it's called a Virginian Dragoon. The early Ruger Blackhawks were very close also (before they went to the stronger two screw design). You can't modify them to DA, but I suppose someone could design a DA look-alike if they wanted to. I wouldn't have the charm of the SA though, imo.

SAA's (and the copies) are fun to shoot, and with some practice you can get very fast with them. The grip design makes the gun rotate in the hand during recoil, which puts it in a good postition to c*ck the hammer with the thumb of the firing hand. It also is great for high recoil calibers, because it doesn't pound the heel of the hand. SA revolvers are much stronger than their DA counterparts, so most of the wildcat big-bore revolvers are build on Super Blackhawk frames.

If you ever get your hands on an original SAA Colt, grab it, but DON"T fire smokeless powder through it. They were designed for black powder, and you will blow it to pieces.
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Beaugeste93
        Its not my area of expertise, but I think Colt made a double action revolver in the 1880 that looked similar to the SAA. I think it was called the Lightning. With all the cowboy action shooting stuff around, someone might make a replica.
        Did you ever carry revolvers as a duty weapon or did you only come on after they were replaced with semi auto pistols?

Comment

Working...
        X