http://outlookindia.com/full.asp?fod...=US&sid=1&pn=1

Print This Page
    Magazine| Nov 03, 2008

US: elections

Can America Count?

There's a serious fear that vote 'purges' could mar the US elections

ASHISH KUMAR SEN
    Is the US president elected directly?

In a sense, no. He's elected by a group of electors who constitute the electoral college. On Election Day, voters in each state, by casting votes for a president, actually choose the quota of electors who will vote for the voters' preferred candidate. The electors cast their votes on Dec 15, a mere formality. Usually, electors are nominated by their parties.

How many electors does a state elect?

The number of electors each of the 50 states chooses equals its strength in the House of Representatives plus its number of senators (each state has two senators). Though the District of Columbia doesn't have representation in Congress, it has three electors. With the electoral college having 538 members, a candidate needs 270 votes to become prez.

Can a candidate poll more votes and yet lose?

This has happened thrice, most recently in 2000. The reason is that except Nebraska and Maine, the other states award all their electoral votes to the winner of the state's popular vote. In 2000, George W. Bush won some states with slender margins and lost a few heavily. Thus, he had more electors but lagged behind in the national popular vote.

What's a swing state? And why are they so important?

It's a state which switches its allegiance from one party to another, like Florida and New Mexico. Most other states have a history of consistently supporting one party. A new swing state can emerge when, in contrast to its history of supporting, say, Republicans, they back Democrats. Example: Virginia. Candidates concentrate most on these battleground states.

Election surveys often prove as fickle as the weather, stoking hopes and dashing these in rapid succession. One day a candidate trails his opponent, the next he’s surging past, riding unforeseen developments. The American presidential elections of 2008, running up to its November 4 climax, was billed as a neck-and-neck race between Democrat candidate Barack Obama and Republican rival John McCain till early September. Not any longer. The irony is that it’s meltdown which has finally helped Obama surpass McCain in all opinion polls, with leads ranging from a mere one per cent (AP/GFK) to an unassailable 11 per cent (ABC News/Washington Post). The national average puts Obama ahead of his rival by 5.7 per cent. A gap wide enough to convince many in the United States that their country is on the verge of choosing its first black president. The hope among the liberals, at least, is that he’ll lead them from the darkness of the Bush administration to a new Democratic dawn.

Obama and team are still cautious though, aware that opinion polls have gone awry in the past. For one, there’s the ‘Bradley effect’, an eponymous term coined to explain the inability of election surveys to capture the often decisive role of ethnicity in elections. In ’82, Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley, an African-American Democrat, lost the election for governor of California even though a string of opinion polls had shown him comfortably ahead. The obvious conclusion: a large number of people, contrary to what they had told pollsters, couldn’t overcome their prejudice to vote for a black man.

Now, should Obama overcome the Bradley effect, he faces the daunting task of neutralising election rigging. In the 2004 presidential election, three million votes cast were never counted. Tens of thousands found their names had been deliberately scrubbed out from the voter list.Voting machines malfunctioned, at times ‘deliberately’, to eat up votes, and thousands of contest ballots were tossed in the bin. New Age America has devised ingenious methods of rigging that people in India may still be innocent of.

Rigging, in many ways, has been an inextricable part of America’s polling history—founding father George Washington spent 40 pounds on booze for his neighbours to win an election in 1785. Ballot stuffing, purchase of votes, intimidation etc were the favoured tactics earlier. In the cyber age, rigging has become more sophisticated, hi-tech and difficult to track.

It took the infamous battle for Florida between George W. Bush and Al Gore during the 2000 presidential election to turn the spotlight on rigging. In that election, Florida used the punch card ballot, in which a stylus is used to punch holes indicating the voter’s choice, leading to protracted arguments over the now infamous "hanging chads"—the piece of paper left attached due to an incomplete punch-through. The Florida administration, then under Governor Jeb Bush, brother of George, refused to count these votes. Bush won the state—and its 27 electors—by just 537 votes.

Even more startling were the findings of journalist Greg Palast, whose breathtaking investigations showed that some 90,000 names had been purged from Florida’s voter list. Under Florida laws, felons (those convicted of violent crimes) are barred from voting for life. But officials scrubbed out even those convicted of felony in other states but had their voting rights instituted after serving their sentence—and subsequently shifted to Florida. Not only this, even those accused of misdemeanours (like drunken driving) were added to the "delete list", as were many innocents whose names were similar to the felons. Palast found the voter list showed felons with conviction dates of 2007!

Stung, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) set up a Voting Rights Institute in 2001 to spread voter rights awareness, and advocacy groups launched vigorous campaigns to register voters. But they have often found their zeal thwarted. For instance, the League of Women Voters abandoned a voter registration drive in Florida after hefty fines ($5,000 per violation, later reduced to $1,000 by a court order) were imposed for minor errors in voter forms and for failing to meet deadlines to turn these in. Its president, Mary G. Wilson, says, "Intimidation tactics such as those used recently in an effort to discredit the third party voter registration efforts of ACORN have no place in the American political process."

McCain and the Republicans have accused ACORN of submitting fraudulent voter forms, some of which were signed by Mickey Mouse and such like. Strange, since US laws require voter registration groups to submit all duly filled up forms to the authorities. ACORN, in fact, flagged questionable forms for official scrutiny to ensure that these names didn’t enter the voter list. It was these that the Republicans seized to raise an outcry on fraud, hoping to discourage new voter registrations.

Nevertheless, an estimated 9 million new voters have registered for the November 4 election. The Obama campaign says Democratic registrations have outpaced Republican ones 4-to-1. But the voter list purges have even affected this. Facilitating the purges is the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) of 2002, which allows rejection of first-time registrants if their personal information does not correspond to details in government databases.Four states, including the swing states of Iowa and Florida, require a perfect match. Even a spelling error by a clerk could spell doom. Thus, even "Joe the Plumber", whom McCain referred to repeatedly in his last debate with Obama, risks disenfranchisement. Joe’s name, Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, has been misspelt in the voter list as Worzelbacher.

Wendy Weiser of the Brennan Center for Justice says HAVA could lead to widespread "disenfranchisement-by-typo". She cites the example of Ohio, currently battling over 2,00,000 new voters whose registration information did not perfectly match with state databases. Colorado recently scrubbed out one in five people from its voter database. Virginia has been scaring away students seeking voter registration locally saying it could lose them scholarships from their home states. And Florida, says Weiser, has an "obstacle course" of barriers to voter registration and even voting.

Weiser’s colleague at the Brennan Centre, Myrna Perez, is the author of Voter Purges, a report on the scrubbing out of genuine voters from the rolls. In Mississippi earlier this year, she found a local election official had wrongly purged 10,000 voters from her home computer a week before the presidential primary. (The deadline for purges is 90 days before any election, so last-minute changes mean it’s irreversible.) "Purges can happen anywhere at any time," Perez told Outlook, adding, "Voters in all the states could be victims". Perez further says 39 states and Washington DC reported purging more than 13 million voters from registration rolls between 2004-06. Incidentally, periodic purges are necessary to strike out those who have died, shifted residence, or those who have recently had their voting rights denied.

Perez, however, says emphatically, "Officials strike voters from the rolls through a process that is shrouded in secrecy, prone to error, and vulnerable to manipulation." For instance, a Brennan Center report found that in 2004, Florida planned to remove 48,000 "suspected felons" from its voter rolls. Many of those identified were in fact eligible to vote. A majority of them were black, though many think it is problematic to correlate race and purges because of the secrecy involved. Robert F. Kennedy Jr and Greg Palast recently wrote in Rolling Stone, "In state after state, Republican operatives—the party’s elite commandos of bare-knuckle politics—are wielding new federal legislations to systematically disenfranchise Democrats."

Should a person escape the purge, he may still be unable to vote. Under US laws, a person has to produce his ID card for registration. Once registered, he’s given a voter card which he’s to bring to the polling booth. But some states demand that the voter bring his driving licence as well on polling day. This goes against those who don’t own cars and the elderly. A voter is also often challenged through the system of "caging"—political parties post registered letters to the voter, and if returned, his credentials are deemed suspect—and challenged.

Voters can of course file "provisional ballots" if their registration is disputed, and HAVA allows elections officials to later review these. Palast and Kennedy, however, claim "in 2004, a third of all provisional ballots—as many as 1 million votes—were simply thrown away at the discretion of officials". Weiser believes provisional ballots are an "effective failsafe" for a minority of voters who would otherwise be turned away, but accepts a significant number never get counted.

In some areas, minority communities have had to contend with voter intimidation too.Deepa Iyer, executive director of South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT), told Outlook that South Asian voters have been illegally asked to show ID at polling places. In Hamtramck, Michigan, where there is a large Bangladeshi population, voters were asked to take an oath that they were legal citizens. "People with a name like yours or mine have to overcome the assumption that we are not really citizens," Iyer says.

In sum, the voter registration systems in the US are indeed fraught with error and vulnerable to manipulation. Weiser admits this: "Few states have procedures in place to ensure that voters who were wrongfully purged, challenged, kept off the voter rolls, or otherwise deterred can remedy the problem and cast a ballot that will count on Election Day." Is it then unreasonable for the Obama team to sound a note of caution about the results of November 4?
    I thought this happens only in India.
    Question everything, answer nothing.

I quite like the US system. Has proven to be far more stable democracy than others.

Comment

Originally posted by greatindian View Post

There are some large factual errors in this piece, including the role of the electoral college, and the "voter cards." Don't draw any conclusions from it.

And let me add that all of the voter fraud I have seen this year - and I have seen more this year than in the rest of my life combined - is being done by Democrats.
      Last edited by GraniteForge; 25 Oct 08,, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
        There are some large factual errors in this piece, including the role of the electoral college, and the "voter cards." Don't draw any conclusions from it.

And let me add that all of the voter fraud I have seen this year - and I have seen more this year than in the rest of my life combined - is being done by Democrats.
        How?

Or are you implying that voter registration fraud is the same as voter fraud?
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Yusuf View Post
          I quite like the US system. Has proven to be far more stable democracy than others.
          Yusuf,

The US system being a stable democracy has less to do with election procedures that you might think. I would say that our election process is both more simple and robust, especially considering the huge numbers that we support and the fact that voter list fraud has become less and less prominent due to the measures taken by the Election Commission.

In comparison, the Americans do not have a single system of electon. Their election procedure (everything from voter registration to the actual act of casting the ballot) may differ from state to state and even county to county.
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I like the cartoon. One through four are essential tp prevent voter fraud but they're presented as if they are a bad thing. Naughty democracy, naughty, naughty.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

http://outlookindia.com/full.asp?fod...=US&sid=1&pn=1

What happens in India? I've been voting since I was 18 and every election I've voted in was clean and free. As far as I know elections have been very very clean in recent years. Except for maybe Bihar I haven't even heard of voter intimidation these days.

The US is entitled to its system but I find it heavily partisan. The results of dead heats seem to rest on who managed to get how many nominees in how many offices.
              "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                How? Voting has not even started yet...

Or are you implying that voter registration fraud is the same as voter fraud?
                We already had a primary election this year, where I saw voter fraud. Early (and absentee) voting has already started. We don't have early voting where I live, but absentee ballots are commonly used.

And yes, I was including registration fraud, since all of the earlier fraudulent registrations are guaranteed to show up on election day. They are being driven to the polls by handlers, and being fed after they vote. Rumor is that some are also being paid a small sum, but I do not think that has been confirmed; I suspect some may have been given lunch money in lieu of the meal.

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                I like the cartoon. One through four are essential tp prevent voter fraud but they're presented as if they are a bad thing. Naughty democracy, naughty, naughty.
                Unfortunately, where I live, we don't have these safeguards. People can just show up at the poll on election day, register, and vote. They do not have to prove residency or show ID; they just show up, fill out a card, and cast their vote. Total time involved might be 15 minutes, unless there is a long line. There are no such things here as provisional ballots, and since ID and proof or residence is not required, there is really no way to challenge voters. The system is set up and run in such a way as will allow massive fraud, and that is exactly what we are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by chankya View Post
                  The US is entitled to its system but I find it heavily partisan.
                  the “US” as a whole doesn’t have a system, each state has their own systems.
                  Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
                  Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
                  Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
                  Listen to the words long written down
                  When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

There will be no complaints of "rigged" election as long as a democrat wins.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie View Post
                      the “US” as a whole doesn’t have a system, each state has their own systems.
                      Yes, I understand that. On a general whole though the system seems highly political. The elections are held by elected state governments. And judicial review is held by politically appointed judges.

At least that's my understanding of it.
                      "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

What happens in India? I've been voting since I was 18 and every election I've voted in was clean and free. As far as I know elections have been very very clean in recent years. Except for maybe Bihar I haven't even heard of voter intimidation these days.

The US is entitled to its system but I find it heavily partisan. The results of dead heats seem to rest on who managed to get how many nominees in how many offices.
                        Chanakya, I don't know from which part of India you are. But, in many rural areas of India, fraud politicians still buy votes by distributing money, making people drunk, distributing clothes etc. But at the level of voting system, I think, we have one of the sophisticated electoral system. But, you will still find a lots of names missing, some times in thousands, in some areas.

I will put indian voting system (not the politics per se) well above American voting system in terms of sophistication.
                        Question everything, answer nothing.

Comment

Its certainly not clean in the state of west Bengal, at least it wasn't so while I was growing up. Even though the Election Commission is the overall in-charge, the election workers were/ are primarily government employees and a majority of them belong to the Communist party affiliated unions. Yiu can understand the rest. The difference between Bengal is that the communists don't go for a vulgar approach like violence, they instead, in true bengali fashion, take voter list manipulation to an art form.

Comment

We already had a primary election this year, where I saw voter fraud. Early (and absentee) voting has already started. We don't have early voting where I live, but absentee ballots are commonly used.
                            I believe you are implying that such voter fraud was perpetrated by the Democratic party. What is the basis of this assertion? I am not saying that you are misrepresenting, but I would like to know about this alleged voter fraud by democrats

And yes, I was including registration fraud, since all of the earlier fraudulent registrations are guaranteed to show up on election day. They are being driven to the polls by handlers, and being fed after they vote. Rumor is that some are also being paid a small sum, but I do not think that has been confirmed; I suspect some may have been given lunch money in lieu of the meal.
                            Let me see of I understand this correctly.

Voter Registration Fraud: filling up forms with fraudulent names, sometimes in the multiple.
                            Voter Fraud: People voting under assumed or false names

Now say I commit voter registration fraud and submit multiple fraudulent forms. First of all I find it hard to believe that this can be done on a large scale. I checked the standard voter registration form for the state of Washington and there seem to be a several pieces of id and address proof that are required to prove the citizenship, residency and age requirements. Ditto for the state of California. This includes documents like a driving license or state id, utility bill and SSN details.

Even if I manage to pull it off, I now must get people with ids matching these fraudulent names appear and vote. How am I going to get a guy named Mickey Mouse with a matching ID?

I know that you have said that there are some places where apparently you can simply arrive at the polling station, register yourself and vote. In how many of these cases do you not have to provide any id/ proof of residency/ proof of age? What is the percentage of such places in the overall scheme of things?

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            There will be no complaints of "rigged" election as long as a democrat wins.
                            Will that, hopefully, be true for this board too?:));)

Comment

Chanakya, I don't know from which part of India you are. But, in many rural areas of India, fraud politicians still buy votes by distributing money, making people drunk, distributing clothes etc. But at the level of voting system, I think, we have one of the sophisticated electoral system. But, you will still find a lots of names missing, some times in thousands, in some areas.

I will put indian voting system (not the politics per se) well above American voting system in terms of sophistication.
                              As far as I can see, while bribing citizens for votes might not be ideal, there is nothing undemocratic about it. Raising/lowering taxes, subsidies, ration issues etc which are thought of as legitimate poll platforms basically amount to the same. Besides you can take your swig of rum and a saree or whatever and still go and vote for whomever you like. As long as it is a secret ballot it shouldn't matter as long as there is no voter intimidation.

The EC issues voter ID cards. I thought it was a decent deal when I went to get mine. The officials there were all EC people not govt. I thought it'd be the same basic setup elsewhere. That's not to say that it might not or does not happen. I'm just saying that it isn't exactly a widespread thing. You hear about voter disenfranchisement in practically all democracies. As long as it isn't systemic its acceptable. It's never okay but a certain level you should be able to live with and hope to improve on.

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                              Its certainly not clean in the state of west Bengal, at least it wasn't so while I was growing up. Even though the Election Commission is the overall in-charge, the election workers were/ are primarily government employees and a majority of them belong to the Communist party affiliated unions. Yiu can understand the rest. The difference between Bengal is that the communists don't go for a vulgar approach like violence, they instead, in true bengali fashion, take voter list manipulation to an art form.
                              Well okay, commies excepted. From what I was given to understand(from a Bengali friend of mine) the system was more subtle. That since commie patronage was needed to be able to do anything, a system where everyone has something to lose if the commies go has evolved. I don't truly understand that but that was what I was told. :D

Anyway right upto the 90s the elections were pretty dirty. The EC however has gotten some real teeth since then and they are quite happy using it. IMO elections by and large have became very clean. No large scale booth capturing, ballot stuffing and all that. Poll security where violence is expected tends to be central forces and thus largely clean and immune to local political forces.

Comment

Working...
                              X