PDA

View Full Version : SSN vs SSK: who's quieter?

jlvfr
23 Oct 08,, 15:42
Hia folks

Up to some years ago, SSNs were (reportedly) noisier than SSKs, due to the continuously working nuclear reactor, with it's associated cooling equipment. However, over the years, I've heard/read of changes on this: puting the reactor on platforms equiped with shock absorbers, etc.

Any idea if this relation remains? Or have SSNs caught up with the SSKs?

Silent Hunter
23 Oct 08,, 16:00
Depends on the SSN type- the US ones are extremely quiet.

bengalraider
23 Oct 08,, 16:45
future weapons on the discovery channel did call the HDW type 214 SSK the quietest submarine in the world

jlvfr
23 Oct 08,, 16:46
Depends on the SSN type- the US ones are extremely quiet.

I'm trying to compare similar generations, ofc. Virginia, Astute, late Rubys vs boats like the german Type 212, the UK's Upholders or the swedish Gotland.

avon1944
23 Oct 08,, 22:34
It will be decades before any meaningful data is released.

Doomarias
24 Oct 08,, 07:49
It will be decades before any meaningful data is released.

yup pure conjecture, im betting Virginia is current king at any useful speed.

chakos
24 Oct 08,, 11:17
future weapons on the discovery channel did call the HDW type 214 SSK the quietest submarine in the world

Future weapons is basically a 1 hour advertisement for various weapons makers. I think of it more of a weapons infomercial than an unbiased source.

jlvfr
24 Oct 08,, 11:23
Future weapons is basically a 1 hour advertisement for various weapons makers. I think of it more of a weapons infomercial than an unbiased source.

Very true. The only really nice thing about that show is the footage...

dundonrl
26 Oct 08,, 09:21
yup pure conjecture, im betting Virginia is current king at any useful speed.

having talked with the former chief engineer of the USS Connecticut SSN 22, I'd take that bet....:cool::cool::))

BenRoethig
26 Oct 08,, 19:25
SSKs are slightly quieter, but SSNs aren't far behind and have major advantages in speed and range.

ozjohn39
26 Oct 08,, 20:00
I saw a doco on the USS 'Texas', and noted the claim that it was so quiet that it was in fact a "hole" in the sea surrounded by the natural sounds associated with the sea.

My first thought was that such a 'hole" would be a fair indication that a sub was there, and worth a torpedo just in case.

John.

Masada
26 Oct 08,, 22:08
SSK? That's pretty old terminology, there.
I can neither confirm nor deny that the German boats (t212 in particular) mentioned in this thread are much quieter than any American class.

jlvfr
26 Oct 08,, 22:44
SSK? That's pretty old terminology, there.

So what do they call them today then?...

IDonT
27 Oct 08,, 00:32
I saw a doco on the USS 'Texas', and noted the claim that it was so quiet that it was in fact a "hole" in the sea surrounded by the natural sounds associated with the sea.

My first thought was that such a 'hole" would be a fair indication that a sub was there, and worth a torpedo just in case.

John.

There are countless "holes" in the sea. Which one contains a sub? That is the trick.

oguzhanTR
30 Oct 08,, 15:37
SSKs with AIP are quiter (just like HDW type 212 and type214)

BBwarrior
30 Oct 08,, 23:07
Regarding USN - I always thought the SeaWolf class were the most advanced and least detectable SSN - even quieter than the new Virginia's. Any thoughts?

BenRoethig
30 Oct 08,, 23:16
Regarding USN - I always thought the SeaWolf class were the most advanced and least detectable SSN - even quieter than the new Virginia's. Any thoughts?

I would say the same ballpark. The Virginia is a better multipurpose platform, the Seawolf is a better fast attack.

BBwarrior
30 Oct 08,, 23:36
I would say the same ballpark. The Virginia is a better multipurpose platform, the Seawolf is a better fast attack.

If the Seawolf is better at fast attack, does that mean her sonar suite is superior to the Virginia's? I'm also curious as to why the Seawolf class was stopped at only 2 boats (I think). Was it just a matter of cost?

Since the Cold War is long over, and the Virginia's are the better mulitipurpose platform, I wonder if the Seawolfs have a dedicated mission unique to that class of boat, or are they relegated to attack/fleet defense?

BTW - Is it true that one of the 'wolfs carries the name USS Jimmy Carter?

BenRoethig
31 Oct 08,, 00:31
If the Seawolf is better at fast attack, does that mean her sonar suite is superior to the Virginia's? I'm also curious as to why the Seawolf class was stopped at only 2 boats (I think). Was it just a matter of cost?

The Seawolfs cost a cool $2 billion a pop so they wanted something a bit cheaper.

Since the Cold War is long over, and the Virginia's are the better mulitipurpose platform, I wonder if the Seawolfs have a dedicated mission unique to that class of boat, or are they relegated to attack/fleet defense?

The cold war being doesn't mean much to the silent service. They have a magazine for 50 weapons and 8 torpedo tunes but no VL tubes for Tomahawks. The Virginias have 26 torpedoes for the 4 tubes and 12 VL tubes for tomahawks. Both classes are used for other duties like special operations insertion and extraction and intelligence gathering.

BTW - Is it true that one of the 'wolfs carries the name USS Jimmy Carter?

Yes, but its named more for Lt. Jimmy Carter the submariner, than the disaster who was President.

BBwarrior
31 Oct 08,, 00:37
Thank you for the info - I was unsure of the weapons load of each platform. I also did not know that the 2nd 'Wolf was named primarily for the submariner, not that clown of a president who is also named Carter. Thanks again! BB

Masada
31 Oct 08,, 02:17
Uh, yeah, the Seawolf is also known as the Pierwolf for a good reason, according to my instructors here.