What's going on with Iowa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on with Iowa?

Does anyone know what's actually happening with the Iowa? Like, is anyone actually going to turn it into a museum or is it just going to rust and sink where it sits?
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -General George Patton Jr.

To my knowledge, there are a few cities bidding/in the process of trying to obtain it as a museum ship, but as of right now it's in mothball.

Comment

<Would point you in the direction of RustyBattleship.;)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

they are just waiting for Navy R&D to finish the rail gun development before getting started on the refit....

actually, i thought they had picked a location, though i forget where it is. Probably takes a fair amount of prep work (as well as fund raising) to set up for a battleship museum, so i'm not surprised its taking awhile to get things going.

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
          they are just waiting for Navy R&D to finish the rail gun development before getting started on the refit....

actually, i thought they had picked a location, though i forget where it is. Probably takes a fair amount of prep work (as well as fund raising) to set up for a battleship museum, so i'm not surprised its taking awhile to get things going.
          *We could only wish they would use her as a test bed. Seems pretty doubtfull. As far as her becoming a museum. That seems pretty doubtfull as well. The reasons being:

1)Politics & San Francisco
          2)Politics & San Francisco
          3)Politics & San Francisco
          4)Notice that of the 8 BB's (Not counting Arizona and Utah that would be 10)the US still has the pink slips too only two are not on the East Coast (BB35 Texas in La Porte TX.) AND (BB61 Iowa in Benecia CA.).

Comment

Check this post.

From this thread :
            Fate of the USS Iowa discussion

Comment

That's just sad :(
              "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
              -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

just put the Iowa at the north end of the island, you might have to dredge to get her up there, the other question is, could you get her under the draw bridge going over the Napa river? (I was going to school at CSTSC on Mare Island from Jan 5 92 till Apr 93) and explorerd Mare Island quite good..

Comment

White Turrets?

In this youtube video (dated August 2008) I'm not sure if this date is correct althought it shows USS Iowa having her turrets painted out in white. Perhaps just a primer coat before she gets the standard "haze gray". This does reinforce the fact that they are still maintaining her appearence even if at minimum. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8T6F...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    In this youtube video (dated August 2008) I'm not sure if this date is correct althought it shows USS Iowa having her turrets painted out in white. Perhaps just a primer coat before she gets the standard "haze gray". This does reinforce the fact that they are still maintaining her appearence even if at minimum. Enjoy.
                    A fresh coat of paint is the first step in reactivating her, right guys? right?....:(

Comment

No, they are still haze gray. The video was shot shortley after noon and the sloped sides of the turrets reflected more sunlight than usual (that IS the South side of the ship). You can also see similar brightness on the aft sloping sides of the citadel tower. And I place it after noontime because of the high reflection of the angled bulkheads just forward of turret III.

When the ships were in active status and kept "ship shape", as you are boarding the gun barrels reflected the sunlight so well that you would swear they were painted silver. It wasn't until you got up close that you could see that they were actually haze gray like the rest of the ship.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        No, they are still haze gray. The video was shot shortley after noon and the sloped sides of the turrets reflected more sunlight than usual (that IS the South side of the ship). You can also see similar brightness on the aft sloping sides of the citadel tower. And I place it after noontime because of the high reflection of the angled bulkheads just forward of turret III.

When the ships were in active status and kept "ship shape", as you are boarding the gun barrels reflected the sunlight so well that you would swear they were painted silver. It wasn't until you got up close that you could see that they were actually haze gray like the rest of the ship.
                        Thanks Rusty, the sun certainly does play with ones vision. IMO they do appear white but would take your word above any others. There were a few other things that I noticed that seemed strange as well looking at the stern and seeing both stern gun tubs wide open (I know one is normally for helo refueling and gear) and the shipping container sitting on the helo deck. Gonna have my eyes checked.:))

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
                          A fresh coat of paint is the first step in reactivating her, right guys? right?....:(
                          Not necessarily, before any paint out if reactivated she would have a long stint in dry dock first. Aproximately 6-10 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            Thanks Rusty, the sun certainly does play with ones vision. IMO they do appear white but would take your word above any others. There were a few other things that I noticed that seemed strange as well looking at the stern and seeing both stern gun tubs wide open (I know one is normally for helo refueling and gear) and the shipping container sitting on the helo deck. Gonna have my eyes checked.:))
                            We had a separate JP-5 tank built into the stbd side below 3rd deck for the Helos. That space, as well as the one on the port side, held two very large and very long AVGAS tanks EACH. They were for the Kingfisher float planes from WW II that were launched off the stern by catapaults.

The starboard 40 mm gun tub on the stern of Iowa and Wisconsin was cut out to hold a jettison rack that carried a 500 gallon rubber bladder of Aviation Gas on a dolly. The bladder was used ONLY for the RPV fuel. Should a terrorist boat scream alongside pouring machinegun bullets at the ship, the dolly could be dumped with a remotely controlled quick release hook.

On New Jersey and Missouri I decided to put it on the Port gun tub because usually the ships came into Long Beach and moored starboard side to the pier. I wanted the dolly away from the pier.

Additionally, we armor plated the dolly to protect the fuel bladder. The East Coast design used only .25" thick steel all around and bolted together with 1/4-20 screws. I designed our armor as all welded with the side most exposed to machinegun fire of .50" HY 80 armor. The sides were .25" as they would just take extreme angle ricochettes (sp) anyway. My design not only was easier and faster to build (eliminating a couple of hundred screw holes) it was 50 pounds lighter than the East coast dolly.

The other tub was left "as is" and used to stow the towing gear Pelican Hook, other towing gear and was a great trash bin to hold bags of empty soda pop cans.
                            Last edited by RustyBattleship; 05 Nov 08,, 00:53.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

On New Jersey and Missouri I decided to put it on the Port gun tub because usually the ships came into Long Beach and moored starboard side to the pier. I wanted the dolly away from the pier.

Thanks Rusty, I was wondering why the difference in the stern gun tubs between the sisters.:)

The other tub was left "as is" and used to stow the towing gear Pelican Hook, other towing gear and was a great trash bin to hold bags of empty soda pop cans.:))

Comment

Working...
                              X