X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISRO plans manned mission to moon in 2014

ISRO plans manned mission to moon in 2014

Bibhu Ranjan Mishra / Sriharikota Range (shar) October 8, 2008, 0:06 IST

Plans to use GSLV instead of PSLV for the project.

Even as it gets set for its first unmanned mission to the moon on October 22, Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) is busy making preparations for a manned mission to the moon in 2014. The proposed budget for the manned mission is around Rs 1,000 crore.

Isro is planning to use Geo-Synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) for the manned mission as Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) is not capable of launching a load of over 1,500 kg. Even as the proposal is pending clearance, Isro is in the process of identifying the team for the mission. “Our chairman is very keen on the project getting approval. He has asked us to come out with complete proposals internally,” said MC Dathan, director, Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC), Sriharikota Range.

On the proposal, he said a commission had done a preliminary study and the report had been submitted for approval of the Space Commission. “The commission has cleared the proposal and it has been submitted to the government. A high-powered committee is studying the report. It is expected to be cleared in about two months,” he added.

On training the crew, Dathan said, “The Indian Air Force has the capability. But we plan to develop a full-fledged training facility in Bangalore.”

Isro, which has two launch pads, is planning to build another for the manned mission. It will have facilities for entry into the human lunar space capsule and an escape chute for the crew if anything goes wrong.

Dathan said Isro had the technical knowhow for the launch pad. “We will have the help of Indian industry. Since the capabilities of Indian industry have reached a high-enough level, it will only need some hand-holding if we provide them the preliminary design. The project can be completed without outside help,” he said. The first launch pad is 25 years old and the second one was put into service in 2005. The launch pad for the manned mission will take three-four years to be built and the two main things it will have are the escape chute whenever there is a problem and another escape from the capsule. The launch pad will, hence, require extra facilities.

Meanwhile, the launch time for Chandrayaan-I, the unmanned mission, has been finalised. The vehicle is expected to be launched between 6.20 am and 6.35 am on October 22. The countdown will begin 51 hours before the launch. The date and time of the launch has been finalised based on weather conditions and the inclination of the moon towards the Earth. “So far the weather has been good. The launch vehicle has been made rain-proof. Unless a major depression or a cyclone happens, the launch will take place as scheduled,” said MYS Prasad. associate director, SDSC SHAR.

The four-stage launch vehicle, which uses both solid and liquid propellant, has been fully integrated and the integration of the satellite with the launch vehicle will start soon, according to Isro officials. It will take 16 hours for the lunar spacecraft to enter the moon’s orbit.

A launch authorisation board, chaired by Dathan, is at the helm of affairs of the launch. The board, in turn, reports to Isro Chairman G Madhavan Nair. Interestingly, Isro has not insured the mission. “Generally we don’t insure indigenous missions. Normally, we insure communication satellites which involve so many other people with commercial interests,” said Prasad.

ISRO plans manned mission to moon in 2014
    This has been unofficial news for a while now, but ISRO has finally come out and have made it official! Asian space race?
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Asian Space Race: As predicted. No one will accept it and no one will openly say it but its happenning

Comment

2014 is a long way away!!..China will have a few taekonauts there by then

Comment

SIX YEARS??????

10 Zillion dollars says neither China nor India will be even close to doing an Apollo 11 by then.

John.

Comment

I don't see any space race they have their own and we have our own. Have the Chinese officially announced they have moon mission
          It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

I would double that. ISRO is a very different organization and when they say they mean it. Only thing as i read from the above posts is that the clearance from the government.
            It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
              SIX YEARS??????

10 Zillion dollars says neither China nor India will be even close to doing an Apollo 11 by then.

John.
              They;ve already put men in space twice...i don't see why it is impossible for them to put one on the moon if they really want to... The CCP could use some positive PR after all the "melamine" fiasco

Comment

Come off it!

The PRC is now at the same stage as the USA was FORTY THREE years ago!

From that point in 1965 it took NASA another 4 years to get the 3000 TON 'saturn rocket' and the LEM to the moon and back.

The PRC rocket is only 300 tons!

Get back to me when they get a LEM and a rocket to take it to the moon.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
                  SIX YEARS??????

John.

India has been working on a manned space mission for quite a while now. I remember 4-5 years back, when they were testing out atmosphere re-entry vehicles aboard the GSLV or PSLV rockets. So this has been in planning for quite some time now; and I'm sure a lot of the ground has already been set. If they do get to the moon by 2014, then it won't be 6 years of work, but more then a decade of work which has been going on. I guess the Chandrayaan mission to the moon this month would be a sort of a test for the future.
                  Last edited by Tronic; 08 Oct 08,, 15:23.
                  Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                  -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Sumku View Post
                    Asian Space Race: As predicted. No one will accept it and no one will openly say it but its happenning
                    Space race?? India lost the race if that's what it is. China is ahead of India. These are 2 independent events, Chandrayan did not happen because ISRO saw China sending people to space.
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Mohan View Post
                      I don't see any space race they have their own and we have our own. Have the Chinese officially announced they have moon mission
                      Yes they have .... 2020 is the year by which they plan to do it.However I am quite Skeptic, if India can pull this one off by 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        Space race?? India lost the race if that's what it is. China is ahead of India. These are 2 independent events, Chandrayan did not happen because ISRO saw China sending people to space.
                        No one has lost it and no one is a winner as yet.
                        If India can pull of this one by 2014 as opposed to China's 2020 deadline, India would have a huge lead.

What do you mean by
                        Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        Chandrayan did not happen
                        Chandrayan is happenning this month. The only thing we need to wait and watch is weather it would be a success or not.

Chandrayan was never slated to happen any time before, there's a delay all right but its not like its been reactivated after being cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                          India has been working on a manned space mission for quite a while now. I remember 4-5 years back, when they were testing out atmosphere re-entry vehicles aboard the GSLV or PSLV rockets. So this has been in planning for quite some time now; and I'm sure a lot of the ground has already been set. If they do get to the moon by 2014, then it won't be 6 years of work, but more then a decade of work which has been going on. I guess the Chandrayaan mission to the moon this month would be a sort of a test for the future.
                          Exactly

Comment

I'm rather skeptical of this one. Am surprised that the ISRO would make such a bold claim though.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                              I'm rather skeptical of this one. Am surprised that the ISRO would make such a bold claim though.
                              So am I. I mean just look at how ahead China is ahead of India at the moment and even they have set 2020 as deadline. I fail to see how India,which so much behind China can all of a Sudden to this in next 6 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X