• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

POSTED: 2:21 pm EDT September 23, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:28 pm EDT September 23, 2008

VERMONT -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman.

"Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

In a statement Ben and Jerry's said, "We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child."

Read PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

September 23, 2008
    Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders
    Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months.

After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to 17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman
    Executive Vice President
    Unfortunately this is what happens when an organization that started out with reasonable goals to promote the ethical treatment of animals allows itself to be co-opted by nutball fringe elements that then use the organization to flog extremist views and positions, thereby turning the organization into a laughing stock.

I therefore propose that executives of organizations like PETA, Greenpeace, etc be required before issuing any public statement or press release to insure it passes the common sense test. That test being that they walk out on the street and hand said statement or press release to the first person they find, provided they're are not wearing a “Save the Whales” or a “Hug Me I’M A Vegan” tee shirt and have that person read the statement.

If after reading the person hands it back with the statement “You’re a Friggin Idiot” they rewrite said statement or press release until it passes the common sense test.
    Last edited by tim52; 25 Sep 08,, 16:40.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.

In order to sustain milk production, wet nurses will have to eat more calories. Hmmm, red meat tastes good . . .
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
      In order to sustain milk production, wet nurses will have to eat more calories. Hmmm, red meat tastes good . . .
      When my wife and I were going through preparation for our baby to arrive, we heard from mothers that when they consumed meat their milk production would increase.

Was that too much information?
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
        When my wife and I were going through preparation for our baby to arrive, we heard from mothers that when they consumed meat their milk production would increase.

Was that too much information?
        Yes...thank you for sharing.

Has PETA thought this through? Humans need to eat more meat to produce more milk. Cows don't eat meat. Hello...
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

ewww. I swear to Buddha I would never eat it again.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

hmm...eating ice cream with human milk, thats one way to stop obesity in America... :D
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
              ewww. I swear to Buddha I would never eat it again.
              Does that mean you have eaten it at least once already?
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Bah, I don't eat Ben and Jerry's anyway, when I do eat ice cream, (very rarely), it is Häagen-Dazs Belgian chocolate, (the one thing those Belgians do right is chocolate).

But still I don't think that many people would eat if they do this, if you pick it out of the freezer in the shop, look at the ingredients, may contain traces of nuts etc, contains human milk! I think at that point it would be put back.
                Nulli Secundus
                People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Originally posted by tim52 View Post
                  Unfortunately this is what happens when an organization that started out with reasonable goals to promote the ethical treatment of animals allows itself to be co-opted by nutball fringe elements that then use the organization to flog extremist views and positions, thereby turning the organization into a laughing stock.

I therefore propose that executives of organizations like PETA, Greenpeace, etc be required before issuing any public statement or press release to insure it passes the common sense test. That test being that they walk out on the street and hand said statement or press release to the first person they find, provided they're are not wearing a “Save the Whales” or a “Hug Me I’M A Vegan” tee shirt and have that person read the statement.

If after reading the person hands it back with the statement “You’re a Friggin Idiot” they rewrite said statement or press release until it passes the common sense test.
                  PETA has gone crazy. :)
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Akaloc View Post
                    PETA has gone crazy. :)
                    Agreed, but they were already crazy. This just put them over the line of being MORE crazy.
                    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Definitely filing this one in my "you can't make this sh*t up" folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                        Agreed, but they were already crazy. This just put them over the line of being MORE crazy.
                        My first encounter with a PETA protester was about 2 1/2 months after returning from Iraq, and there was a PETA protester in scivvies sitting inside a small fenced pen (2' x 2') on a curb in DC protesting the treatment of sheep. I was amazed at the difference in concerns: getting shot at vs. worrying about sheep. I should have told him to go set up in Anacostia :))
                        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

May be female PETA members can show the way and save the poor calves.
                          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I don't know if I want see those tango india tango sierra milked.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              I don't know if I want see those tango india tango sierra milked.

I prefer Molson Ice, Sir!:))

Comment

Working...
                              X