India's new tank (other than arjun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India's new tank (other than arjun)

I heard DRDO was developing a new tank, the "tank-ex," I was wondering if anyone had any inputs on it?
    :)

An Arjun turet on a T-72 chasis.

Comment

Word was on BR that , it still hasnt completed Development trials.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        An Arjun turet on a T-72 chasis.
        Yeah, the development trials showed that to be a bad idea. The t-72 chassis couldn't handle the stress from the recoil and the chassis integrity was severly compromised after firing a few shots.

Comment

DRDO's latest experimental tank designated 'Tank-Ex' is an Arjun/T-72 hybrid integrating the weapon system and armour of the former with the automotive system of the latter. Most of the Arjun's features including the 120mm rifled gun and Kanchan armour, not to mention GPS, NBC protection, a thermal imager integrated into the gunner's main sight and a standby articulated sight, have been included.

A hybrid between the chassis of the T-72 and the turret of the Arjun, DRDO has developed Tank-Ex on its own initiative and is not based on a stated Indian Army requirement. Although having successfully undergone 6 months of gruelling preliminary trials in the deserts of Rajasthan, the tank is still undergoing additional technical trials by DRDO.

Weighing 47 tonnes and using a 1000 hp engine, Tank-Ex can achieve a top speed of 60 km/h on roads and 35 km/h across rough terrain, a power to weight ratio of 21 HP/tonne and ground pressure of 0.94 kgf/cm�.

The reengineered turret has an independent, fully stabilised commander's sight for surveillance, target acquisition and engagement, and a global positioning system to assist navigation and situational awareness.

Tank-Ex possesses a nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) warfare defensive system and an auxiliary power unit to operate weapon systems in silent watch mode.

Last edited by professional; 17 Feb 05,, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
            Yeah, the development trials showed that to be a bad idea. The t-72 chassis couldn't handle the stress from the recoil and the chassis integrity was severly compromised after firing a few shots.
            Other than that, it looks like a good idea to me. What about you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by tu160mblackjack
              Other than that, it looks like a good idea to me. What about you guys?
              Excuse me, did you read anything I've said. The chassis was severky COMPROMISED.

On any vehichle, meaning anything with two axles and 4 wheels or more or a set of tracks, the integrity of the chassis is very fundamentally IMPORTANT. Anything that threatens the chassis is BAD.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Comment

Excuse me, did you read anything I've said. The chassis was severky COMPROMISED.

On any vehichle, meaning anything with two axles and 4 wheels or more or a set of tracks, the integrity of the chassis is very fundamentally IMPORTANT. Anything that threatens the chassis is BAD.

Do you get what I'm saying?
                Yeah, Yeah, what Im saying is that all other components appear to be good. Forget the chassis for a minute. I am not saying it is a good tank, but Im saying that everything other than the chassis is good.

Comment

Originally posted by tu160mblackjack
                  Yeah, Yeah, what Im saying is that all other components appear to be good. Forget the chassis for a minute. I am not saying it is a good tank, but Im saying that everything other than the chassis is good.
                  Does the fact that they are trying to merge the Arjun turret onto T-72 chassis in an attempt to save money tell you anything?

Comment

Does the fact that they are trying to merge the Arjun turret onto T-72 chassis in an attempt to save money tell you anything?
                    At least DRDO is using their brains? I am sure they will come up with something worthwhile.
                    Some how have'nt learnt much from the errors of at Vijayant Tank engine.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

limontree,
                      when was the Vijyanta tank designed??

Comment

Originally posted by ajaybhutani
                        limontree,
                        when was the Vijyanta tank designed??
                        Its a 1961 Vickers MkI design. It suffered from excessive oil leaks.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                          At least DRDO is using their brains? I am sure they will come up with something worthwhile.
                          Some how have'nt learnt much from the errors of at Vijayant Tank engine.
                          No that's not what I meant. I meant that they considered the electronics, the firing computer, the gun, turret design so good that they tried putting it on another tank with an engine which India could produce to save money.

But what they didn't realize is that turret design must meet chassis design so they can deal and absorb the stress as a system.

Comment

Working...
                          X