Divisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divisions

Hello there everyone. in 1914-1918, dose anyone know whether or what the average amount of men that served in a divsion at any one time in the british/french/serbian/german/austrian/Russian armys? im not sure whether every army used divsions but if they used something like that to organise their forces then i would much appreciate it if you could tell me please thankyou
    intrested in fighting in WWI

I believe the typical infantry division size was between 15,000 and 20,000 men.

Comment

Originally posted by lordangers View Post
      Hello there everyone. in 1914-1918, dose anyone know whether or what the average amount of men that served in a divsion at any one time in the british/french/serbian/german/austrian/Russian armys? im not sure whether every army used divsions but if they used something like that to organise their forces then i would much appreciate it if you could tell me please thankyou
      American infantry divisions were reportedly as big as French Corps so that would make the average French infantry division around 9-14,000 men, I am pretty sure the German formations were about the same size.

Comment

Zraver is that the full strength of the divisions or typical actual strength when US troops arrived in 1918?

By 1918 most nations were running out of reinforcements and alot of units were operating below full strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy View Post
          Zraver is that the full strength of the divisions or typical actual strength when US troops arrived in 1918?

By 1918 most nations were running out of reinforcements and alot of units were operating below full strength.
          I believe that is the book strength, actual numbers for non-assault units would be lower in 1918 I believe.

9-14,000 men is a much more nimble force given the reliance on carrier pigeons, runner,s riders, and early wireless sets. 28,000 is unweildy without the extra level of filtering provided by dividing it in half or thirds so each commander has fewer elements to control.

Comment

Working...
          X