X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Admits It Can't Top Lavish Beijing Olympics When It Hosts 2012 Games

London Admits It Can't Top Lavish Beijing Olympics When It Hosts 2012 Games
    Facing an economic downturn, British officials are trying to keep costs down
    By Thomas K. Grose
    Posted August 22, 2008

LONDON—How can London, host of the 2012 Olympic Games, possibly compete with China? How can it top the eye-popping pyrotechnics, the cast of thousands, and the architectural gem of a stadium that were part and parcel of the successful Beijing 2008 Olympics?
    "The International Olympic Committee themselves recognize that [Beijing] is the last edition of a games which is going to look and feel like this," says Sebastian Coe, head of the London Olympics organizing committee. The London games, Coe adds, won't attempt to equal the "scale and stature" of the extravaganza in Beijing.
    London Admits It Can't Top Lavish Beijing Olympics When It Hosts 2012 Games - US News and World Report

Neither could the 1948 Summer Olympics in London top the ones from 36...but..which would you rather want to attend?

Comment

"I have attended many Olympic Games since Helsinki 1952, Finland and the ones of Beijing 2008 have been the best I have ever seen," Samaranch said as quoted by Mexican daily El Sol de Mexico on Monday.

Successful Olympic Games need three things: good organization and facilities, a good local sports delegation, and people's enthusiasm, and China fulfilled all of them, Samaranch said.

China achieved "good organization and facilities and it has presented to the world the best stadium and swimming pool of the world," Samaranch said.
      Samaranch did a great contribution to the olympics,and he has been made honorary life president of the IOC

Comment

SYDNEY olympic games is also amazingly good,very impressive,personally i like that one better.

Comment

Translation: We're not going broke over this.

Comment

London does not need to top anyone. It is one of the world's major financial and commercial hub and very well stablished.

Comment

How can London, host of the 2012 Olympic Games, possibly compete with China?Strict media censorship is always a good place to start.

How can it top the eye-popping pyrotechnics? The same way that China produced them in the first place: CGI

the cast of thousands?First, start with a country of over a billion people that work for very low wages.

and the architectural gem of a stadium? Nothing that lavish sums of money and low-wage workers can't solve.

Besides, unlike China, what exactly does Great Britain have to prove to the rest of the world?
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by haidian View Post
                Samaranch did a great contribution to the olympics,and he has been made honorary life president of the IOC
                From Wiki :

It became a tradition for Samaranch, when giving the President's address at the close of each Summer Olympics, to praise the organisers at each Olympiad for putting on "the best ever" Games.
                For instance, after Sydney 2000 :

"I am proud and happy to proclaim that you have presented to the world the best Olympic Games ever," Samaranch said, and the stadium shook with cheers. He has applied that moniker to games in the past; a notable aberration was Atlanta, which he called simply "most exceptional."

Summer Olympics 2000 Samaranch calls these Olympics 'best ever'

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  How can London, host of the 2012 Olympic Games, possibly compete with China?Strict media censorship is always a good place to start.
                  Ouch !!!

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  How can it top the eye-popping pyrotechnics? The same way that China produced them in the first place: CGI
                  Re-Ouch !!!

Comment

oh and no baby will die because news and warnings about contaminated food are surpressed to keep up the facade.

Comment

Was a bad day for the UK when we got the Olympics in my opinion. You can predict that a. it will all end up over budget b. it'll be late and c. it'll do nothing for the local people. We'd have been better off using the money for research into re-usable energy.

Comment

I'll guarantee one thing....it will have MUCH better beer than Beijing!
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Actually, the UK does not have to have a "Please Accept me" party having been an Imperial Power ruling the waves.

China had to prove a point and they have done it rather well.

The UK has nothing to prove.

History speaks for them! ;) :))

Further, being a democracy, they are answerable to the people.

China did not have to answer anyone since the people are not worth consideration as per the CCP! Or so it appears!

I believe as per BBC and CNN, the China milk scandal was known before the Olympics and it kept it under the wraps and would have still done so, but for the NZ company that own 43% share in Sunlu, the company that sold these dangerous product!

Says a lot, what ho, old bean Haiden?
                          Last edited by Ray; 17 Sep 08,, 19:16.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

London Admits It Can't Top Lavish Beijing Olympics When It Hosts 2012 Games - US News and World Report

reason- london cannot bulldoze it's historical and old areas to build a swanky stadium, london cannot make some of it's oldest residents homeless by forcibly capturing land in the name of the olympics, london cannot call in worforce of bare minimum wage workers that number in the millions and then discard them like old clothes when the venues are ready,last and most important
                            the organisers of london 2012 shall have to be be far more accountable regarding olympic spending to their constituents than any leader of the CCP shall ever be.

Comment

reason- london cannot bulldoze it's historical and old areas to build a swanky stadium, london cannot make some of it's oldest residents homeless by forcibly capturing land in the name of the olympics, london cannot call in worforce of bare minimum wage workers that number in the millions and then discard them like old clothes when the venues are ready,last and most important
                              the organisers of london 2012 shall have to be be far more accountable regarding olympic spending to their constituents than any leader of the CCP shall ever be.

China could since who cares what the common man desires in China.

Big Brother knows all!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X