• Show
Clear All

• Pachauri: Quit meat to cut emissions

Pachauri: Quit meat to cut emissions
    AFP
    Monday, September 08, 2008 00:46 IST
    Print Email Comment Bookmark Text size Text size
    Digg it

LONDON: People should cut their consumption of meat to help combat climate change, according to Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

He told the British newspaper The Observer that people should start by having one meat-free day a week then cut back further.

The 68-year-old, who is a vegetarian, said diet change was important in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and environmental problems associated with rearing animals.
    “Give up meat for one day [a week] initially, and decrease it from there,” he said.

“In terms of immediacy of action and the feasibility of bringing about reductions in a short period of time, it clearly is the most attractive opportunity.”

Pachauri heads the IPCC that won the 2007 Peace Nobel along with former US vice president Al Gore.
    Home | World
    ====
    Vegetarians = ghey
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

A veggie telling others to cut back on meat lol classic

But its for "climate change"

Ghey indeed

Comment

Hmmm.

This guy has one tough sell on his hands.

Comment

Damn now you got me drooling!
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Mmmmm...filet mignon, aged 28 days, medium rare, still blood when I cut into it.... *DROOOOOOL* ...
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Though he is from my School, he seems to have lost his balance after the Nobel Prize!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I like the billboard
              Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Cows do fart and produce plenty methane. Result is Global warming. Breeding animals for meat alone is extremely energy intensive. I tried meat a few times, it was'nt one bit tasty to me. I mean there's so much variety in Vegetarian cooking not just some bland carrots, potato and lettuce on one's plates.
                Last edited by randhir; 08 Sep 08,, 21:49.

Comment

Cows do fart and produce plenty methane. Result is Global warming. Breeding animals for meat alone is extremely energy intensive. I tried meat a few times, it was'nt one bit tasty to me. I mean there's so much variety in Vegetarian cooking not just some bland carrots, potato and lettuce on one's plates.
                  Do you squat when you go? The vegetarian lifestyle is freakishly at odds with what it means to be an American or a man.

Vegetables are crap that gets in the way of meat.

I think we should reduce the population by eating the poor, would cut into global warming because they would not produce methane, plus god willing (swt) they would taste good. Get meat, deal with the poor and solve global warming - give me my damn emmy/nobel peace prize.

I have the money to eat meat three times a day, issue settled - the market has spoken.

If we need more energy, Iran is next door to Iraq.

Why do people like you hate nomadic herders so much ?
                  Attached Files
                  To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                    Though he is from my School, he seems to have lost his balance after the Nobel Prize!
                    I believe a weeks vacation in a Naga village will fix him sir.

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
                      I believe a weeks vacation in a Naga village will fix him sir.
                      A Naga banquet includes the main course of Dogs! Prefereably a Black Dog. That is why many Army officers when posted to Nagaland, suddenly become ardent vegetarians and leave their dogs at the home Station when going on posting! :))

I think Pachuri's statement is more in line of being outrageous and thus fashionable and chic like our dear old Arundhuti Roy, who is the Goddess of All Causes and a Pain without Pauses!! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by randhir View Post
                        Its people like you who make it so hard for me to get a good steak in bangalore.;)
                        Have some nice kerala chicken and appam, I guarantee you wont look at veg cooking with so much love anymore. :))
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          A Naga banquet includes the main course of Dogs! Prefereably a Black Dog. That is why many Army officers when posted to Nagaland, suddenly become ardent vegetarians and leave their dogs at the home Station when going on posting! :))

I think Pachuri's statement is more in line of being outrageous and thus fashionable and chic like our dear old Arundhuti Roy, who is the Goddess of All Causes and a Pain without Pauses!! ;)
                          then it might make him more of a pain in the A.

Well he can only try so many combinations of bamboo shoot , i think with time he will learn to enjoy the reason for non veg food.

I remember my friends from that place, they used to say if its alive we kill it and consume, must be difficult to find any stray animals (the naga boys used to make some very nice pork though).

Pachuri ji is at the extreme end of the pole sir, asking him about global warming is like asking a barber for a haircut, that is another problem, the media is always interested in people with extreme views from opposite.

Comment

I like how the global warming crowd are the same save the polar bear ******** - so to save the environment we have to slaughter billions of goats, sheep, ducks, turkeys, chickens and cows in one go? Would we still off the polar bears to prevent them from farting? Maybe it is their fault and they are reaping what they are sowing in the north with the ice caps.

========
                            Pigs are unclean which is why if people stop eating them it is kosher.

Comment

I believe even human being emit methane when they break wind.

I know that even vegetarians are not free from indulging in such comforting releases!

Kill them all! ;)

I am not aware if fish break wind. Even if they do, it is absorbed within the water.

Thus, fish alone should inherit the Earth!
                              Last edited by Ray; 10 Sep 08,, 17:42.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X