• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India joins nuclear club, gets NSG waiver

SOURCE:- NDTV.com: INDIA JOINS NUCLEAR CLUB, GETS NSG WAIVER

India joins nuclear club, gets NSG waiver

NDTV Correspondent

Saturday, September 06, 2008, (New Delhi, Vienna)

There's good news coming in from Vienna, Indo-US nuclear deal has finally crossed the NSG hurdle.

Earlier, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and National Security Advisor Shicshankar Menon in New Delhi after two days of talks failed to break a deadlock in the Nuclear Suppliers' Group over granting a clean waiver to India.

On Saturday, NSG members are expected to reconvene in Vienna again after two rounds of talks failed to yield any result. On Friday, the group ended 17 hours of negotiations without a decision.

Sources have told NDTV that the Americans were holding talks in separate rooms with the hold out countries.

On Friday, Pranab Mukherjee had issued fresh statement on India's commitment to non-proliferation.

Sources have told NDTV that no revised draft has been prepared yet but the amendments proposed by problem countries are 'killer amendments', like on testing.

The Prime Minister himself is monitoring every move in Vienna, but he is not getting involved directly in the talk process. As per sources, the Prime Minister's Office expects the Americans to persuade the dissenting countries.

SOURCE:- NSG MEET APPROVES N-WAIVER FOR INDIA

NSG MEET APPROVES N-WAIVER FOR INDIA

CNN-IBN

TimePublished on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 15:57, Updated on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 16:23 in Nation section

Vienna/New Delhi: The 45-nation Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) has approved a US plan to engage in nuclear trade with India. Following the green signal by the NSG that will cement the Indo-US Civil Nuclear Deal, India has finally come out of the 34-year old nuclear apartheid.

The approval came after almost three days of meeting in Vienna on Saturday. The NSG meet was called to minimise any damage to the Non-Proliferation Treaty, which India has not joined.

The consensus was arrived after overcoming misgivings expressed by Austria, Ireland and New Zealand.

National Security Advisor MK Narayanan confirmed to CNN-IBN that waiver has been clinched in Vienna.

However, the nuclear deal still needs to be ratified by the US Congress before it could take force. The Congress must act before adjourning in late September for US Presidential elections.

If that does not happen then the deal could be left to an uncertain fate under a new US administration that takes office next year.

Former Indian foreign secretary and former ambassador to the US, Lalit Mansingh hailed it as a major victory for India.

"It's a significant victory for India and a milestone in nuclear equity. India did the right thing by standing firm and highlighting its red lines. Now 34 years of nuclear apartheid is finally over. But there is still one more hurdle to overcome which is the US congress. If this were a marathon, I would day we have won the silver medal. We’ll hopefully win the gold medal by the end of this year," Mansingh said.
    Last edited by The One; 06 Sep 08,, 12:09.

I hope INDIA will get the latest re-processing technology now that it gets the
    waiver and also it's diplomatic clout has increased

Comment

Most difficult part is yet to come.It would be more difficult to pass this agreement in our own Parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by The One View Post
        Most difficult part is yet to come.It would be more difficult to pass this agreement in our own Parliament.

It does not matter. Getting NSG waiver is tremendous achievement.This would not have been possible with out strong US support.

Comment

Originally posted by Whill View Post
          This would not have been possible with out strong US support.
          Correct!!!!!

Comment

The Senate. Watchout. They need contionuos 30 working days, Bush has time till 26th Sept. The Hyde Act has its own tantrums.
            sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Seems like a Woo-Hoo momentt
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

One has to wait for the Agreement and read the fine print!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                  Seems like a Woo-Hoo momentt
                  i concur

WHOO HOO

*still keeping my fingers crossed though:)

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                    The Senate. Watchout. They need contionuos 30 working days, Bush has time till 26th Sept. The Hyde Act has its own tantrums.
                    Since the total session period is only 15 days this time, so either we will see a lame duck session or someone proposing an exception in the current session for the 30 business day sit in period.
                    If i am not mistaken Nancy Pelosi has said before that she is not in favour of a lame duck session. As it is if the democrats romp home in the elections, they might well wait for their turn to take matters up.
                    If you want to be happy, be.~Leo Tolstoy

Comment

Originally posted by Whill View Post
                      It does not matter. Getting NSG waiver is tremendous achievement.This would not have been possible with out strong US support.
                      it's also going to have very long term effects. With this waiver India becomes the only (semi-offically) NWS not on the UNSC. China will fight it, but eventually she will let India in when the UK/Fr seats eventually merge as a single EU seat.

Comment

Beijing ‘disappoints’ Delhi
                        TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: China almost spoilt India’s party. That will remain the lasting memory of Beijing’s strategic miscalculation in opposing India’s waiver at the NSG meeting.
                        In Delhi, National Security Adviser MK Narayanan expressed disappointment. “The Chinese foreign minister will come here and we will, of course, express disappointment. We will say that we did not expect this,’’ Narayanan told Times Now. He added that India was surprised at China’s behaviour because President Hu Jintao and PM Wen Jiabao had assured Manmohan Singh Beijing would play a constructive role.
                        But Narayanan remained philosophical. “We can’t choose our neighbours. We have China and Pakistan and we desire the best of relations with both”.
                        But it was a sign the Chinese whispers in Vienna could have implications for bilateral ties because a government long accused of winking at Beijing’s transgressions decided to go public with its disappointment. China left out of credit roll
                        New Delhi: While reeling off a list of countries India was grateful to, Pranab Mukherjee pointedly did not mention China. ‘‘I would like to take the opportunity to place on record Government’s deep appreciation in particular for the untiring efforts of the US, France, UK and Russia throughout this process, and also the support received from the present and previous Chairs of the NSG — Germany, South Africa and Brazil,’’ said Mukherjee.
                        During the debate at the NSG on Friday, the most crucial day, China raised a number of unspecified “concerns”. As one diplomat present at the meeting said, “none of these were substantive objections and were meant to frustrate US’ efforts to secure the waiver. Like everybody, the Chinese also knew that delay was death for this deal”.
                        Beijing capitulated only after Bush called Chinese president Hu Jintao and India put strongly-worded notes in their mailbox. After the NSG declared a consensus on the waiver for India, Chinese diplomats stressed their national position for a “balance between international non-proliferation efforts and nuclear energy.”
                        Well the hostilities remain , and no matter what it is we cant believe what china says ...........

or is it to make Pakistan happy that they had made an effort to pull the plug
                        Last edited by Mohan; 07 Sep 08,, 05:57.
                        It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

There was a line from a movie, I think, in my time which went - What Lola wants, Lola gets!

This NSG agreement has been pushed by George Bush and what George Bush wants, George Bush gets!

It is win win for the USA. He has capped India's military nuclear programme and made it dependent on the US umbrella in case of a threat to India (from China?). It is in line with the US geostrategic perspective in so far as Asia and the Indian Ocean is concerned.

China can publicly posture and which they will have to do since this Agreement has 'enveloped' India into the US scheme of things and that is surely not comfortable for China. It is also a signal to Pakistan that if they don't play ball with the Afghanistan, then India can be unleashed.

The very fact that this Agreement (the final document is yet to be released) prevents nuclear testing, is indicative that India has sold her sovereignty and much that I baulk to use the word, it has become an appendage!

And nuclear fuel is not going to be cheap. I believe it is Rs 400 or 4000 crores down the drain with the first signs of any testing of a nuclear device. Even otherwise, nuclear energy is not cheap!

And what happens to the spent fuel? Will the US take it back?

A very short term benefit project it appears.

But then, I am no expert!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                            There was a line from a movie, I think, in my time which went - What Lola wants, Lola gets!

This NSG agreement has been pushed by George Bush and what George Bush wants, George Bush gets!

It is win win for the USA. He has capped India's military nuclear programme and made it dependent on the US umbrella in case of a threat to India (from China?). It is in line with the US geostrategic perspective in so far as Asia and the Indian Ocean is concerned.

China can publicly posture and which they will have to do since this Agreement has 'enveloped' India into the US scheme of things and that is surely not comfortable for China. It is also a signal to Pakistan that if they don't play ball with the Afghanistan, then India can be unleashed.

The very fact that this Agreement (the final document is yet to be released) prevents nuclear testing, is indicative that India has sold her sovereignty and much that I baulk to use the word, it has become an appendage!

And nuclear fuel is not going to be cheap. I believe it is Rs 400 or 4000 crores down the drain with the first signs of any testing of a nuclear device. Even otherwise, nuclear energy is not cheap!

Sir how long do you think the deal will be honoured.Suppose BJP comes into power and cancels the deal then what.I also personally feel India is trying to
                            fight China head-on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post

Brigadier, how can you possibly think that? Your nation has a huge brain trust and can computer model all the warhead designs they need. As far a power goes, nuke power is cheap- very cheap. It seems like a lot because of the upfront cost and disposal costs but given the life of reactors and amount of power they can deliver its brings total cost per megawatt hour down below any other source but coal in the US, and even then its less than a dollar from that cheap source. Cost Comparison - Nuclear vs. Coal

As you see the disposal/storage cost are figured in.

Personally, your power-your waste-your problem. Who ever gets the lights, gets the glowing green goo to deal with. new technologies like glassification are emerging that offer stable, secure long term storage

Comment

Working...
                              X