Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age

IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age

The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into the age of Chinese gymnast He Kexin, The Times of London reports. Faced with almost insurmountable evidence which suggests that He is two years younger than the birth date listed on her Chinese passport, the IOC has launched an inquiry that could result in the stripping of He's gold medals.

This news comes on the heels of another Times report that details the findings of a New York computer security expert who found official Chinese documents that list He's age as 14 years and 220 days. Mike Walker used a Chinese search engine's cache feature to find He's actual date of birth on spreadsheets from a Chinese government website. The spreadsheets were taken down off the site recently and He's name had been removed.

Assuming the IOC is committed to a real investigation and not some dog and pony show, the revelation that the Chinese government covered up the ages of gymnasts could end up being the defining moment of these Games for the host country. Officials wanted the Olympics to be a coming out party for a new China. But while the Games have been a huge success, there is a legitimate possibility that China's legacy from Beijing '08 will be that of a massive government cover-up, not the magical Opening Ceremony or the transformation of Beijing or anything else positive.

All the good work China did to put on these Olympics could be forgotten because of an unnecessary, arrogant move by the government. Why risk everything to put a 14-year old in the competition when they could have replaced her with an of-age 16-year old gymnast? Sure, He is a better gymnast than the Chinese gymnasts who were eligible to compete, but with the judges they had at the Olympics, would it really have mattered?
    IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age - Fourth-Place Medal - Olympics - Yahoo! Sports
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Mission control, we have liftoff...

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
      What evidence? Or are you going to cite Chinese media sources?

Conflicting news reports from a state-controlled media, I'm sorry you will have to do better than that. I don't believe everything I read, I hope you don't either. The IOC went by passports, birth certificates, and possibly even dental records to verify their age. If the Chinese government would go to such great lengths to "break the rules" that they would forge the above documentation, but then allow their own media to list the actual ages of the gymnasts-isn't there a disconnect somewhere.

The IOC has spoken, these girls were of the correct age, they won the medals, and so there shouldn't be anymore complaints about it.
      And that post now turns into a great hey ma watch this moment in time.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        And that post now turns into a great hey ma watch this moment in time.
        haha very funny jack***. I already spoke on this in the other post. The IOC let the pressure get to them insetad of standing firm..the Internet busybodies stike again...Viva La USA!!!...Don't dare take our gold medals away. Humility is good, losing is good, the US should try it.
        Last edited by Herodotus; 22 Aug 08,, 02:39.

Comment

haha very funny jack***. I already spoke on this in the other post. The IOC let the pressure get to them insetad of standing firm..the Internet busybodies stike again...Viva La USA!!!...Don't dare take our gold medals away. Humility is good, losing is good, the US should try it.
          If you lose the medals its cause China cheated. Humility is good, losing is good, then why did China cheat?

Comment

If you lose the medals its cause China cheated. Humility is good, losing is good, then why did China cheat?
            Humility and losing is good for those on top, China is not on top, beacuse the US has the inherent advantage of a sports program sponsored by corporations, with pampered and spoiled athletes, and has made it a point of pride, and the mark of a superpower in winning the Olympics. The only way to get the attention of or be taken seriously by most Americans is through competitiveness. It was only when China got the Olympics that some commentators said oh now China has arrived. But hey this is all good news for the ra ra USA crowd, the jingoism will be thick now, and how many times will we hear dirty Chicom jokes.

BTW-I am not Chinese, I am American, (Caucasian) so I would not "lose" any medals.

Comment

I think in the medal tally, China is leading.

I am quite surprised that they could have improved so much!!

I am sure the dental records would be a better guide to age than some obscure spreadsheet.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Humility and losing is good for those on top, China is not on top, beacuse the US has the inherent advantage of a sports program sponsored by corporations, with pampered and spoiled athletes, and has made it a point of pride, and the mark of a superpower in winning the Olympics. The only way to get the attention of or be taken seriously by most Americans is through competitiveness. It was only when China got the Olympics that some commentators said oh now China has arrived. But hey this is all good news for the ra ra USA crowd, the jingoism will be thick now, and how many times will we hear dirty Chicom jokes.

BTW-I am not Chinese, I am American, (Caucasian) so I would not "lose" any medals.
                China has the advantage of unlimited government resources, literally billions of dollars, being pumped into athletic training programs -- I don't think corporate sponsorship comes anywhere near matching that for the vast majority of US athletes. Phelps and a handful of others may receive lucrative endorsements, but the majority of other US athletes are relative unknowns.

But that of course is the Chinese government's free choice to make -- just thought I'd point out the error in your argument.

If the Chinese government has indeed falsified documents claiming a false age for this gymnast, than those two gold medals should be stripped and awarded to the silver medalists.

I think we are doing rather well -- even if China has a gold medal lead we have been competitive in virtually every sport whereas the Chinese have had a narrow focus on a few sports which award many gold medals. I am counting the score as three points for a gold, two for a silver, one for a bronze.

And according to my score, we're winning 228-190. :)
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Ironduke,

Notwithstanding, I am disappointed!

From a clear winner to a struggling one.

If you had noticed, at the beginning of the Games I said none could give the US a run for the money!!

Yet, there are many more events to go. Who knows?

US maybe the undisputed leader!

It better be!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    China has the advantage of unlimited government resources, literally billions of dollars, being pumped into athletic training programs -- I don't think corporate sponsorship comes anywhere near matching that for the vast majority of US athletes. Phelps and a handful of others may receive lucrative endorsements, but the majority of other US athletes are relative unknowns.

But that of course is the Chinese government's free choice to make -- just thought I'd point out the error in your argument.

If the Chinese government has indeed falsified documents claiming a false age for this gymnast, than those two gold medals should be stripped and awarded to the silver medalists.

I think we are doing rather well -- even if China has a gold medal lead we have been competitive in virtually every sport whereas the Chinese have had a narrow focus on a few sports which award many gold medals. I am counting the score as three points for a gold, two for a silver, one for a bronze.

Credible sources say the government only invests ONE BILLION US DOLLARS.

Where did you get that figure? Your impression? Unsupported assertion of the media?

Comment

How do you know the US lost the game because China cheated?

America's Lukins' performance is not that good either. She does not even deserve the Silver Medal. Watch the replay. See how she touched the ground. Her father's fame might have influeced judges' decisions.

I think how much advantage the 'age' gives Chinese players is controversial. I believe Chinese players won in a relatively fair game. Don't dismiss their efforts as cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by yeung3939 View Post

America's Lukins' performance is not that good either. She does not even deserve the Silver Medal. Watch the replay. See how she touched the ground. Her father's fame might have influeced judges' decisions.

I think how much advantage the 'age' gives Chinese players is controversial. I believe Chinese players won in a relatively fair game. Don't dismiss their efforts as cheating.
                        yeung, there is a really good chance that China cheated "Period".
                        Like I said before on another thread, why did they list 2 or 3 of the gymnasts as underage in 2004, 2005, and 2006?
                        I don't follow the Olympics at all, but I did read that the documentation stated they they were born in 1993 and 1994, then changed in 2007, the year before the Olympics, to like 1991, or 1992. How convenient!
                        The government says it was a mistake.
                        O.K.?.......then why didn't anyone catch it in 2004, or 2005, or 2006?
                        That long without no one knowing!?
                        Com-on! One of the girls is missing a baby tooth!
                        Look, yeung, I don't know what country your from, or where you live, and nor do I really care, but I would have to guess somewhere in China after reading some of your defensive post.
                        If you are, then I understand that your proud of how well China is doing at the game.
                        My question to you is, with all of the evidence showing that they were too young to compete 2, 3, 4 years ago, how unbelievably small and young they look, and one missing a baby tooth, "Do you think that they are old enough?"

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post

Please China doesn't have unlimited resources, no one spends as much on athletics than the US. My error in judgment? Ever been to the USOC? I'm from Colo Spgs. unknown or not those athletes get the very best in equipment, coaches, and training regimen. Count the score however you want but since there is no universal acceptance of a weigted system the only count that matters is the nation that wins the most gold medals-that's China, and for the first time since 1936 a country that is not the USSR/Unified Team or the US will win the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella View Post
                            yeung, there is a really good chance that China cheated "Period".
                            Like I said before on another thread, why did they list 2 or 3 of the gymnasts as underage in 2004, 2005, and 2006?
                            I don't follow the Olympics at all, but I did read that the documentation stated they they were born in 1993 and 1994, then changed in 2007, the year before the Olympics, to like 1991, or 1992. How convenient!
                            The government says it was a mistake.
                            O.K.?.......then why didn't anyone catch it in 2004, or 2005, or 2006?
                            That long without no one knowing!?
                            Com-on! One of the girls is missing a baby tooth!
                            Look, yeung, I don't know what country your from, or where you live, and nor do I really care, but I would have to guess somewhere in China after reading some of your defensive post.
                            If you are, then I understand that your proud of how well China is doing at the game.
                            My question to you is, with all of the evidence showing that they were too young to compete 2, 3, 4 years ago, how unbelievably small and young they look, and one missing a baby tooth, "Do you think that they are old enough?"

Thanks
                            It is just speculation about the baby tooth (dental care is not as advanced in rural China), and about how small and young they look. Many Asian women do not show their true age for many years. Regarding the cheating allegation-the IOC still says there is no proof, they just want to reverify their ages. We will know soon one way or the other. But my question is-if the IOC does say they are the correct age, will posters here accept the results, or will they still say the Chinese cheated and therefore their medals are illegitimate?

Comment

Originally posted by yeung3939 View Post

That the Chinese squad is better than the American squad is not in doubt. What is in doubt is if the Chinese squad were forced to abide by the same rules would they be better. That is why if confirmed the Chinese should have their medals stripped. If they really are better and its not an age advantage they can prove it in 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X