Australian mayor calls for 'ugly' women to populate town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian mayor calls for 'ugly' women to populate town

Another fine article from the Telegraph.

I cannot imagine the outrage if a mayor in the US said something similar.

Where is the P.C. police

John Moloney, the Mayor of Mount Isa, said "ugly ducklings" could find happiness if they chose to settle in the Queensland town where men outnumber women five to one.

In 2006, there were just 819 women aged 20-24 living there out of a total population of 21,421, according to the most recent census.

Located 1,136 miles (1,829km) from Brisbane, Mount Isa is home to one of the world's biggest underground mines.
    advertisement

In an interview with a local newspaper Mr Moloney said: "Quite often you will see walking down the street a lass who is not so attractive with a wide smile on her face. Whether it is recollection of something previous or anticipation for the next evening, there is a degree of happiness."

"Some, in other places in Australia, need to proceed to Mount Isa where happiness awaits. Really, beauty is only skin deep. Isn't there a fairy tale about an ugly duckling that evolves into a beautiful swan.

"I believe we should look after women. I'm told men outnumber women here by five to one. If that's the case, then perhaps it's an opportunity for some lonely women."

Ex golf star Greg Norman and tennis player Pat Rafter were both born in the town.

Holy CRAP!!!

I'm trying to get a handle around this thread by Gunny even as I vision the seven hells of necro-posting which await me.

NOBODY posted a reply? Really?

So who's sh!t list were you on, Gunny? Everybody's?

Awesome story, btw. Said with such grace and style how could a fat woman object?
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I must have missed it at the time, both here and in the real world. I imagine it didn't get much coverage because it happened in Mt Isa and in Queensland. The reason so few women live in Mt Isa is that they have brains & don't tend to work in the mining industry. We tend to take an 'oh, its Queensland again' attitude to racist & sexist comments by our northern bretheren - perhaps comparable to the way Americans view odd comments coming out of places like Mississippi or Alabama. It is our 'deep north' (something about white people at tropical lattitudes, the OP excepted of course).
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
      X