Olympic Medal Count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Medal Count

A quick look at the Olympic medal count, and it appears that China is leading in gold medals and the US in total medal count.

What I don't understand...

In certain sports, such as gymnastics, weightlifting, and swimming, the same sport done in different manners, sometimes rather slightly different manners, there are many gold medals awarded. For example, Phelps has won eight gold medals swimming in different styles and/or distances.

Yet in team sports, a gold medal win by a team counts as one gold medal. I think if multiple gold medals are awarded for the same sport performed in slightly different manners or distances, the medal count should include one medal for each member of teams that win gold, silver, bronze.

There are many athletes competing for three medals in each team sport, many times the number the relative handful of athletes competing for a plethora of medals in gymnastics, weightlifting, swimming, etc.

Thoughts?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    A quick look at the Olympic medal count, and it appears that China is leading in gold medals and the US in total medal count.

In certain sports, such as gymnastics, weightlifting, and swimming, the same sport done in different manners, sometimes rather slightly different manners, there are many gold medals awarded. For example, Phelps has won eight gold medals swimming in different styles and/or distances.

Yet in team sports, a gold medal win by a team counts as one gold medal. I think if multiple gold medals are awarded for the same sport performed in slightly different manners or distances, the medal count should include one medal for each member of teams that win gold, silver, bronze.

There are many athletes competing for three medals in each team sport, many times the number the relative handful of athletes competing for a plethora of medals in gymnastics, weightlifting, swimming, etc.

Thoughts?
    Well IMHO in case of sports with different styles/distances etc. like running, shooting, weightlifting, swimming etc different medals for multiple medals are fine since the training in many cases is quite different, and so are the winners sometimes comes along an extraordinary athlete who manages to win multiple medals in the same discipline of a sport but thats the exception, not the norm, and in any case, they are well deserved.

However, when it comes to team sports, while all athletes are given a medal, in the medal tally it still counts as one medal only, this I believe can be improved upon, perhaps there should be a different medal system for team sports to differentiate it from solo events, not one medal per member in the tally per se, but a platinum or team gold medal or something of that sort ..
    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

I think it's kind of silly to award multiple gold medals for each team sport. A soccer gold would count as what 11 golds? What about the guys who don't play? The reserves, the coaches, the trainers, etc. Or do you have to allocate the medals based on playing time, and exempt non-players? The concept of team sports is it is one team.

One Super Bowl win does not count as 45 championships, but you could have a world champion in one individual event in a sport (100M Butterfly), and not in any other events in that sport (backstroke, breaststroke etc). Michael Phelps did not compete in every swimming event so his medals just count individually. In team sports the team only competes in one event (basketball, baseball, etc.), so it is only counted as one medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
        I think it's kind of silly to award multiple gold medals for each team sport. A soccer gold would count as what 11 golds? What about the guys who don't play? The reserves, the coaches, the trainers, etc. Or do you have to allocate the medals based on playing time, and exempt non-players? The concept of team sports is it is one team.

One Super Bowl win does not count as 45 championships, but you could have a world champion in one individual event in a sport (100M Butterfly), and not in any other events in that sport (backstroke, breaststroke etc). Michael Phelps did not compete in every swimming event so his medals just count individually. In team sports the team only competes in one event (basketball, baseball, etc.), so it is only counted as one medal.
        Agreed.
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
          Agreed.
          What he said
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Another reason i guess is that the Olympic Games is the highest level of honor for swiming or weightlifting athelets could get while team sports always got other stages outside of the Olympics.

So, it's reasonable to award these sports more...

In the other hand, for individual, every one will get Medals after winning the team play. also these medals won't account for the total medal number of the courtry
            Last edited by Squall; 19 Aug 08,, 01:34.
            What gets measured can be improved

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post

Thoughts?
              I've been thinking about that as well. Maybe there should be different categories of team sports like basketball played with different time limit and/or score limit.

Homerun derby should be just as relevent as women's 10m air pistol match. Maybe long range shooting in basketball should be a seperate sport so short and fat people suffer less from their physical build. Why should the ability to manipulate a mechanism with compressed air that throws a projectile from 10m a sport while tossing a big orange ball into a hoop 10 feet of the ground with only your hand-eye coordination NOT a sport?
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

russia is now 3rd by medals count, 2 days ago it was like 12th, who would,ve tought, amazing, what a comeback.
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

hats off to the English team. currently beating the Aussies! pip pip and all that!

but this Phelps guy winning 8 gold? i think it's a little ridiculous that they have so many different events for swimming. I will say he is an amazing athlete but why not have a 100 metre run with different styles. for example, they 100 metre dash with your left arm behind your back, another with one eye closed, another with ceremonial head gear or something...?
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

russia is now 3rd by medals count, 2 days ago it was like 12th, who would,ve tought, amazing, what a comeback.
                    Russia is sixth, they have ten gold. China, US, Great Britain, Australia, and I think Germany are ahead of them.

but this Phelps guy winning 8 gold? i think it's a little ridiculous that they have so many different events for swimming. I will say he is an amazing athlete but why not have a 100 metre run with different styles. for example, they 100 metre dash with your left arm behind your back, another with one eye closed, another with ceremonial head gear or something...?
                    They have that: 100M run, 200M run, 400M run, 800M run, 10,000M run, 110M hurdles, 200M hurdles, 400M hurdles-that's 8 gold medals right there. :))

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
                      Russia is sixth, they have ten gold. China, US, Great Britain, Australia, and I think Germany are ahead of them.
                      i meant total count
                      according to yahoo it is third,
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by omon; 20 Aug 08,, 03:05.
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Nobody goes by total medal count, except the US cheerleading media. Counting third place as equal to first place. Really?

Comment

haha we're ahead of Cuba. Who would've thought? What a nice day that was! We've surpassed our 2004 medal count

Comment

I don't think Britain is doing too bad;)

Comment

they're doing very well Dave. you should finish third and well ahead of the aussies.

shame about the Ashes though, 5-0 huh?
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X