No announcement yet.

16" Rifle Production Capacity... Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" Rifle Production Capacity... Gone?

Cant seem to work it out. Does America still possess the industrial Hardware to produce these barrels or have they lost it?

And what company actually produced them?

I would have thought the building of a big rifle would be:

1. Take big piece of round steel;
    2. Find 16" drill bit in the shed;
    3. Insert said drill bit in big drill;
    4. Drill away for 3 weeks;

Hey presto! (repeat 8 more times.)

Hee! Well, there's a little more to it. Here are a couple useful links:
    THE MANUFACTURE AND CONSTRUCTION OF HEAVY NAVAL GUNS.
    USA 16"/50 (40.6 cm) Mark 7

Comment

The U.S. maintains few facilities for the "gun works" a few locations come to mind needless to mention. And not all of the 16"/50 rifles were scrapped as some would have you believe but many were scrapped none the less.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        The U.S. maintains few facilities for the "gun works" a few locations come to mind needless to mention. And not all of the 16"/50 rifles were scrapped as some would have you believe but many were scrapped none the less.

Yup, there's a pretty decent amount of them left. If we had to make more, the tooling does still exist.
        "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
        -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

If we made them before, we can make them again. However, in some cases some of the tooling may have to be rebuilt.

Remember, tools themselves have their own form of "evolution". You often have to make the tools that make the tools that make the final production tool to make the product you want to put out. But the history and background is there to make it possible.

But only if there is a need for them.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            If we made them before, we can make them again. However, in some cases some of the tooling may have to be rebuilt.

Remember, tools themselves have their own form of "evolution". You often have to make the tools that make the tools that make the final production tool to make the product you want to put out. But the history and background is there to make it possible.

But only if there is a need for them.
            Not in relation, But I can remember making the tools that make the tools that make the final tools. Ah, days of simplicity in the shops just man and machinery oh and radio.

Comment

I am not sure about the Navy, but I believe the only arsenal remaining in the US Army for large caliber gun barrel production is at Watervliet Arsenal in upstate New York. I am not sure where the Navy has its gun barrels produced.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                I am not sure about the Navy, but I believe the only arsenal remaining in the US Army for large caliber gun barrel production is at Watervliet Arsenal in upstate New York. I am not sure where the Navy has its gun barrels produced.
                IICR, Philadelphia,Washington and I think Louieville. Washingtons Navy Yard produced alot of the 16"/50''s in the time of the Iowas. It was also one of the largest installations built. However as you mention Watervliet was listed as well.

Comment

IICR, Philadelphia,Washington and I think Louieville. Washingtons Navy Yard produced alot of the 16"/50''s in the time of the Iowas. It was also one of the largest installations built. However as you mention Watervliet was listed as well.
                  I think Watervliet is the only one left with the quenching vats.

Comment

I think Watervliet is the only one left with the quenching vats.
                    Mr. L. you wouldnt happen to be accompanying USS Ranger Vets tour this weekend would you?:)

Comment

Mr. L. you wouldnt happen to be accompanying USS Ranger Vets tour this weekend would you?:)
                      The same weekend as their 2008 Reunion in PA?

odd.

Comment

I'm afraid not. I am attending a Swancutt reunion picnic on Saturday. That's the Welsh side of my family.

Just left a meeting of the Shipyard Reunion Picnic committee this evening. Everything is still a go on that.

During the week, between Doctor's appointments, I will be building up another display board of shipyard memorabilia as I just received a replacement plaque for the shipyard's 50th anniversary. Thank you Ebay.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I will be building up another display board of shipyard memorabilia as I just received a replacement plaque for the shipyard's 50th anniversary.
                          Never saw that plaque. With all my connections in building 303 (Service Group) it would have been easy to get one if I knew they existed.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                            Never saw that plaque. With all my connections in building 303 (Service Group) it would have been easy to get one if I knew they existed.
                            They are a bit rare. Even rarer (and the golf course kept it - or one of their members decided to us it as a paperweight) is a 30th Anniversary plaque that is the most used shipyard logo (with CGN-9 on it).

Would like to replace that one too.
                            Attached Files

Comment

They are a bit rare. Even rarer (and the golf course kept it - or one of their members decided to us it as a paperweight) is a 30th Anniversary plaque that is the most used shipyard logo (with CGN-9 on it).
                              Right before we closed out building 303, the Shipwright Shop Planner brought me an Insulator's Shop Plaque. I'd never seen one and I don't know where he got it because the Insulation Shop was in the Mechanical Group for about 47 years before moving to the Service Group. He had a nice name plate made for it and I have it on my wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X