Nelson voted greatest British military hero of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson voted greatest British military hero of all time

The British public has voted for Nelson as the greatest British military hero of all times.

Nelson who, along with Wellington (who finished third in the survey), helped to put an end to Napoleon and his nefarious ways.

Others in the Top 10 included Montgomery, Richard the Lionheart, King Henry V and Bomber Harris.

Nelson voted greatest British military hero of all time

Nelson is the greatest British military hero of all time, according to a survey which placed him above Montgomery and Wellington.

by Graham Tibbetts
    07 Aug 2008
    The Telegraph

Nelson: known for bold action and a disregard for orders from his superiors Photo: PA

The naval leader, who became a national icon after his death in the battle of Trafalgar, comfortably topped a poll whose results covered more than 800 years of British military history.

They ranged from Richard the Lionheart, whose exploits on the Crusades earned him fourth place on the list, to Lt Col Herbert "H" Jones, posthumous winner of a Victoria Cross for charging Argentine positions during the Falklands War in 1982, who came eighth.

Admiral Lord Nelson, who received 27 per cent of the vote, was known for bold action and a disregard for orders from his superiors.

He pulled off an audacious victory at the battle of the Nile in 1798 when he sailed his ships between the shore and the unprepared French fleet who were expecting an attack from the opposite direction.

Three years later Nelson, who lost his right eye and arm in combat, destroyed the Danish navy at Copenhagen after ignoring a signal to disengage by placing a telescope to his blind eye with the remark: "I really do not see the signal."

His finest hour came in 1805 when he inspired his men to victory at Trafalgar with the message "England expects that every man will do his duty".

Second on the list of leaders was Field Marshal the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, voted for by 19 per cent of the 1,006 adults polled.

He took command of the Eighth Army in North Africa and masterminded the defeat of Erwin Rommel's troops at El Alamein, turning the tide in the Second World War.

Behind him on 11 per cent was the Duke of Wellington, who led allied forces to victory over Napolean at Waterloo in 1815.

Other revered military leaders were Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris, King Henry V and Lord Kitchener.

However, the survey indicated that almost a quarter of young adults say they "don't know" who is the best of Britain's past heroes.

The ComRes poll was commissioned by the United Kingdom National Defence Association (UKNDA), which campaigns for a "sufficient, appropriate and fully-funded Armed Forces".

Andy Smith, UKNDA spokesman, said: "I'm not surprised that Horatio Nelson has been voted Britain's greatest ever military hero.

"Nelson was a brilliant naval commander and a charismatic leader who won a series of battles against Britain's enemies, culminating in the decisive British victory over a combined French and Spanish fleet at the battle of Trafalgar on 21st October 1805 - tragically dying from his wounds at the moment of victory.

"Trafalgar put an end to Napoleon's plans for the invasion of Britain, and ensured British dominance of the world's oceans for the rest of the 19th century."

:: Britain's greatest military heroes - according to the ComRes poll - are:

1. Admiral Lord (Horatio) Nelson - 27% (44% among age group 18-24)
    2. Field-Marshal the Viscount Montgomery - 19%
    3. The Duke of Wellington - 11%
    4. Richard the Lionheart - 8%
    5. Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris - 3%
    6. King Henry V - 2%
    7. Lord Kitchener - 2%
    8. Colonel 'H' Jones - 2%

telegraph.co.uk

Where's the Black Prince or the Duke of Marlborough?

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
      Where's the Black Prince or the Duke of Marlborough?

Indeed, or his father Edward III for that matter.

Field Marshall Slim is another conspicuous by his absence.

Col 'H' was no doubt a brave man, but far from a military genius. Strange choice that one.

But yes, Marlborough's absence is a disgrace. No problems with Nelson winning out though.

Comment

Lt. Col 'H'. Jones, what utter nonesense, he was shot by his own troops.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
          Lt. Col 'H'. Jones, what utter nonesense, he was shot by his own troops.
          So i heard as well C/A , why the hell would a sunray charge a machine gun nest by himself get killed and leave sunray minor in charge ,he should have been back in his HQ directing ops ,, the stories i heard were he was a PAPA ROMEO INDIA CHARLY KILO , A vc was for propoganda methinks .

Comment

I had a good friend who served in the Falklands with the Paras', and he confirms the very same. You are correct '9'er, the 2i/c, Ops should have been back at '0' location directing Operations. A complete idiot me thinks.

Comment

Still would have gone for Churchill. The way he was chastized and ridiculed for sounding the alarm when Chamberlin was being nothing but compliant to the Germans. But yet he returned to the admiralty and basically carried the people to victory during WWII. Without Churchill IMO Britan would have fallen to the Germans.

*Personally I dont think Nelson or the others should be in the same catagory.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Not Churchill; just look at the horlicks he made during WW1 (Galipoli for example), he was sacked from the Admiralty for that.

Comment

I had a good friend who served in the Falklands with the Paras', and he confirms the very same. You are correct '9'er, the 2i/c, Ops should have been back at '0' location directing Operations. A complete idiot me thinks.
                  Gungho , who got people killed .HIS OWN

Comment

Not Churchill; just look at the horlicks he made during WW1 (Galipoli for example), he was sacked from the Admiralty for that.
                    I think that you could group his mistakes during WWI in with quite a few other peoples/countries. Precision and Planning certainly were not in their zenieth during WWI for any countries military. He took his digs in WWI but yet came back for more in WWII when his country needed him most and proved that he was the authority he claimed to be at a time when it mattered the most. Without his voice and statesmenship during WWII do you really think your country could have survived the German onslaught that was coming from rite across the English channel a very short distance away. Remember it was also Churchill that enticed the Americans to support Britan during this time as Chamberlin would have rolled out the carpet and allowed Germany to walk right on in being as nieve as he was.
                    Without Churchill courting Americans you would have nearly starved and been subjigated.
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 12 Feb 09,, 22:56.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Fair cop.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                        So i heard as well C/A , why the hell would a sunray charge a machine gun nest by himself get killed and leave sunray minor in charge ,he should have been back in his HQ directing ops ,, the stories i heard were he was a PAPA ROMEO INDIA CHARLY KILO , A vc was for propoganda methinks .
                        Remember watching this documentery where they were interviewing the Argintinian soldier (still serving at the time of filming) who was claiming Jones was his kill.

I did not believe the Argie's account.
                        sigpic

Comment

Robert The Bruce is my nominee as greatest British hero/soldier/thingy....

Him and that Thomas Cochrane guy.

(H-Jones - WTF?)
                          sigpic

Comment

Slim
                            Horrock
                            Tedder
                            Wellington
                            O"Connor
                            Mountbatten
                            Jackie Fisher
                            Nelson
                            Wolfe
                            Kitchener
                            Henry V

That is my short list in that order

BTW, Bob Roberts could be on that list too
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

'We few, we happy few'
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X