PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez going to the Dodgers

Mobbme
31 Jul 08,, 22:18
Report: Manny Ramirez going to the Dodgers; Bay to Boston

TSN.ca with files from SI.com

7/31/2008 4:38:56 PM

BOSTON - The Boston Red Sox have traded slugger Manny Ramirez to the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to a report on SI.com.

The report says that Canadian Jason Bay will end up with the Red Sox while four prospects will go to Pittsburgh.

According to the report, the Pirates will receive outfielder Brandon Moss and reliever Craig Hansen from the Red Sox as well as third baseman Andy LaRoche and right-handed pitcher Bryan Morris from the Dodgers.

Laroche's brother, Adam, is Pittsburgh's first baseman.

CTV.ca | CTV News, Shows and Sports - Canadian Television (http://www.tsn.ca/ctvnews/?id=244969)

Wow, the Red Sox have managed to lose their minds. They suffered for over 100 years I believe, and this guy, Manny, the MVP brought the Championship not ONCE but TWICE to the great city of Boston. Was this any way of treating such a FHOFamer??!!

To think I was actually starting to like the Red Sox, sheesh, good luck winning another championship you dope heads!

Exarecr
31 Jul 08,, 22:22
Your right, they are talking about the trade on Sports net.

ofogs
31 Jul 08,, 22:28
Manny was an MVP, true, but he also created an enormous problem with the team, the fans and the management. He was such a distraction and he hasn't been performing at nearly his MVP or HOF levels that they pretty much had to trade him. Bay will do fine and give the Sox a fully capable LFer who will perform very similarly to a declining Manny for another year, at a greatly discounted rate.

The better question to ask is whether this is how a future HOFer should treat the team and city he's done so much with?

Mobbme
31 Jul 08,, 22:44
Manny was an MVP, true, but he also created an enormous problem with the team, the fans and the management. He was such a distraction and he hasn't been performing at nearly his MVP or HOF levels that they pretty much had to trade him.

Playoffs haven't even started yet. So i'm assuming you're a regular season fan and would take A-Rod over Manny ONLY because A-Rod's a proven regular season hitter? Manny is Mr. Playoffs. A-Rod is Mr. Choke.

Bay will do fine and give the Sox a fully capable LFer who will perform very similarly to a declining Manny for another year, at a greatly discounted rate.

Red Sox were finally in Tier 1, and now they got a guy that will do just fine? Not good enough. Its not about regular season at all, its about winning in the playoffs. Manny's never choked.

The better question to ask is whether this is how a future HOFer should treat the team and city he's done so much with?

Its that famous quote we're both well aware of long before the 2 championships:

"Manny being Manny"

But after 2 titles and an aging Manny, it seems to be a distraction.

Southie
31 Jul 08,, 22:57
OK, not knowing that much about sports, but having one of the biggest Red Sox fans in my house, apparently, besides all the other crap that Manny has been doing, he didn't play against the Yankees during the 1st game claiming a knee injury, yet the MRI didn't show any problems. He's been slacking out on the field. Looks like he was wanting to be traded.

ofogs
31 Jul 08,, 23:19
Playoffs haven't even started yet. So i'm assuming you're a regular season fan and would take A-Rod over Manny ONLY because A-Rod's a proven regular season hitter? Manny is Mr. Playoffs. A-Rod is Mr. Choke.

Manny Ramirez Career Playoff Stats:
BA: .269 OBP: .376 SLG: .515 with 24 HRs in 353 ABs

A-Rod
BA: .279 OBP: .361 SLG: .483 with 7 HRs in 147 ABs

A team dealing with Manny quitting for for the last 2 months of the year isn't going to make the playoffs. After all, we can't forget that Manny, not the team, created the situation at hand. For this team to have a chance to make the playoffs and not self destruct, the Manny trade had to happen.

Red Sox were finally in Tier 1, and now they got a guy that will do just fine? Not good enough. Its not about regular season at all, its about winning in the playoffs. Manny's never choked.

1. Manny has choked. I personally remember being in Fenway waving goodbye to Manny in the '99 series when he was with Cleveland (.056/.261/.111). Of course, I could cherry pick sample sizes that show almost everybody "chokes" at one time or another.

2. Bay (top) and Manny (bottom) side by side.
BA OBP SLG OPS+ HR BB RC/G
.282 .375 .519 135 22 59 7.7
.299 .398 .529 140 20 52 7.6

Considering Bay makes $6M this year (vs. $20M), is 29 years old (vs. 36), is already signed for another year, fields better and won't be the center of the circus that Manny was, he will definitely do just fine.

Its that famous quote we're both well aware of long before the 2 championships:

"Manny being Manny"

But after 2 titles and an aging Manny, it seems to be a distraction.

Here's some other quotes:
"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me." -Manny
"Say what you want about A-Rod, but he plays every day and he plays his behind off." -Unidentified Sox Player quoted in Gammons' 7/28 Article
"Manny being Manny means Manny wanting money." -Gammons

And yes, it is a huge distraction when he fires off shots in the media and asks to be traded. Or asks out of games with phantom injuries. The act is old. He was great while he was with the Sox, but he wrote his own ticket out of town.

Herodotus
01 Aug 08,, 00:14
Team chemistry is very important and maybe is being overlooked in this discussion. Let's not forget the Red Sox traded Nomar in 2004 for a weak hitting Offerman; the Red Sox went on to win the WS that year.

ofogs
01 Aug 08,, 00:24
Nomar was traded for Cabrera and Mientkiewicz- neither of whom could really hit. I think you're right about the clubhouse issues being enough to make it necessary to get rid of Manny. His attitude and actions were clearly disrupting the team enough to impact the play on the field.

Herodotus
01 Aug 08,, 00:34
Nomar was traded for Cabrera and Mientkiewicz- neither of whom could really hit. I think you're right about the clubhouse issues being enough to make it necessary to get rid of Manny. His attitude and actions were clearly disrupting the team enough to impact the play on the field.

Oh sorry, I thought it was Offerman. Bay is a stud though, cheaper and younger than Manny, he has a lot of upside to him, and coming from the Pirates I'll bet he's hungry to win. The trade was smart for the Red Sox no doubt about it.

ofogs
01 Aug 08,, 01:05
Agreed. I look forward to seeing how he performs in Boston.

Mobbme
01 Aug 08,, 02:58
Agreed. I look forward to seeing how he performs in Boston.

Playing in Boston -in todays game- is just as tough as playing with the Yankees: Pressure. Hopefully the lad does well because the Red Sox are my 2nd favourite team.

Ofogs, i'm saying things from a biased point of view. Red Sox have been getting their arse's handed to them the past century, and they finally found a way to win, twice. Why break up the core? They did win again after losing Johnny Damon, so you could be right on the money. But I think Manny is irreplaceable. Mr. Damon was no Manny. If its the future they're thinking about, what happens with Ortiz and Captain? They're both just as old. You win now when you have these veterans, who knows when they'll win again? I just think management got cocky, thats all.

Albany Rifles
01 Aug 08,, 03:12
There is no one on this board a bigger Red Sox fan than I am.

This was a had to do move for the Red Sox. When David Ortiz was not standing up for Manny any more that tells you something.

Manny had quit, plain and simple. I'll take a hungry Bay, Youk and the other young kids.

Yankees are still too old.

But I do have to say the class of the AL is the Angels

Mobbme
01 Aug 08,, 04:50
There is no one on this board a bigger Red Sox fan than I am.

This was a had to do move for the Red Sox. When David Ortiz was not standing up for Manny any more that tells you something.

Manny had quit, plain and simple. I'll take a hungry Bay, Youk and the other young kids.

Yankees are still too old.

But I do have to say the class of the AL is the Angels

About time you joined in big brother. Well, we'll just have to wait and see. I don't see Red Sox winning again though, you guys can even resort to using violence against me lol but I think Yankees will win next year -if not this year.

Mobbme
01 Aug 08,, 22:23
Story Highlights
This year's winner is an easy choice: the Los Angeles Dodgers
The Brewers won, even though they traded the only premium prospect to get dealt
The Marlins whiffed on a big chance to get better and impress their fans

The biggest winner at the trade deadline is an easy call this year. It's the team that dispelled the notion that it was incapable of making a monster trade, that established itself as the favorite in baseball's most winnable division, the team that landed one of the greatest hitters and greatest clutch hitters for nothing more than a song. And for not such a great song, at that.

The Dodgers, the storied West Coast franchise without a World Series title in 20 years and with a lot of front-office tension following a few recent failed free-agent signings, managed to acquire the great Manny Ramirez -- in a deal first reported by SI.com -- on a giveaway plan, surrendering only two OK prospects in the deal with Boston. Sensing the Red Sox's last-minute desperation at the deadline, Dodgers GM Ned Colletti agreed to take Ramirez, and all Colletti had to give up was a young third baseman who could never seem to crack the Dodgers' lineup (Andy LaRoche) and an A-ball pitcher who has already undergone Tommy John surgery (Bryan Morris). Making it even sweeter, Boston agreed to pay the $7 million remaining on Ramirez's salary.

Not only that, but the Dodgers will get the best of Manny, as the prearranged deal had any acquiring team agreeing to waive the two $20 million option years that Ramirez found so onerous. So he goes to L.A. as a content and motivated man, free-agent riches awaiting the slugger whose $160 million Red Sox deal turned out to be one of the best ever, even if the Red Sox became so exasperated with him that they tried to give him away a couple times in the last four years. And in the end they finally did give him away.

Winners
1. Dodgers. The trade for Manny was such a steal that it might make owner and Bostonian Frank McCourt forget the $36.2 million that he sunk into the disintegrating Andruw Jones last winter ... for a few minutes anyway. The Dodgers' offense has been atrocious, and this can only help. Joe Torre has to love seeing Ramirez on his side for a change. His only problem is that he now will have five outfielders who consider themselves starters -- including Juan Pierre, Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp and Jones. Oh yeah, and they got infielder Casey Blake from the Indians, too.

2. Manny. All his petulance and pouting paid off. He got those club options that were tormenting him dropped and this winter will have the chance to shop for a multiyear deal on his terms. While he lost a lot of good will earned over the years in Boston, he'll be able to bathe himself in green, assuming he can find a team to take this hitting savant who's all ego, id and wrists.

3. Brewers. It's easy to forget they actually made the most beneficial deal of this trading season, as it happened a month ago. But CC Sabathia has been brilliant since going to Milwaukee, helping to instill pennant fever in that deserving town.

4. Cubs. While the Brewers made the biggest splash let's not forget that the Cubbies still have the best team in the National League, something they proved with their four-game sweep at Miller Park, their home away from home. Rich Harden is a "top five'' pitcher in the game, according to one GM, assuming he stays healthy. If he doesn't, well, they imported Harden's own personal insurance policy in Chad Gaudin in the very same deal. The one negative was their whopping $500,000 fine for draft shenanigans, which was only $250,000 less than Patriots coach Bill Belichick got for cheating, setting the stage for what could be one of the messier franchise sales ever.

5. Angels. The team that needed a big stick to pair with Vladimir Guerrero got it when it landed switch-hitting star Mark Teixeira. Casey Kotchman was a steep price to pay merely to enhance their October chances (let's face it, the Angels were assured of making the playoffs no matter who played first base). Yet it was a great gamble for Arte Moreno, who may be baseball's best owner. One thing seems sure: He has baseball's best team.

6. Scott Boras. Baseball's most famous agent couldn't have written a better script for his players. Ramirez got out from under the two option years (meaning Boras will get paid for a new Ramirez deal starting in 2009), Teixeira went to the great Angels (meaning he and Ramirez will both be in Boras' backyard, though Teixeira will be in the literal sense, as he plans to stay in Boras' guest house in the O.C.), Ivan Rodriguez went from the so-so Tigers to the big stage in the Bronx and a fourth Boras client, Xavier Nady, went back to New York after a brief and productive time in Pittsburgh.

7. A's. As one competing GM said, "They've set themselves up for 10 years with their trades.'' Of course, genius GM Billy Beane couldn't have done the same kind of pennant-race rebuilding if he operated in a major media market. But out on the left coast they accept an early white flag. It also doesn't hurt that Beane really knows what he's doing. Josh Outman, who came for average starter Joe Blanton, is going to be better than Blanton. So between the Blanton and Dan Haren deals the A's are in great shape for the future again.

8. Ned Colletti. This trade can be the first line of his varied bio. He began his baseball career as a public relations man in Chicago, and the Manny deal works as a great PR move, too. He has come under heat from ownership for the inexplicable disappearance of the real Andruw Jones. But this makes amends. For today, anyway.

9. Ken Griffey Jr. His Reds tenure didn't work out as hoped, so it was probably a bittersweet moment for the future Hall of Famer. But the good part is that he goes to a great city with a chance to play in October for the first time since he left Seattle, and he gets to go back to center field, a position he never really wanted to leave. The deal fulfills GM Ken Williams' wish to unite with perhaps his favorite player (and also his desire to make a deal, any deal). But it's going to be interesting to see whether Griffey can still play center after he didn't exactly look like a Gold Glover in right for the Reds. In case he's worse than they think, the Sox do have Alexei Ramirez and Jerry Owens to caddy for him.

10. Yankees. They're all still celebrating in the Yankees front office after hearing just after the trade deadline that Manny was gone from the AL East. The dread of seeing those dreadlocks is gone (Manny was about a .450 hitter against the Yankees the last three years). As a bonus they also got Nady, fine lefty setup man Damaso Marte and Hall of Fame catcher Pudge Rodriguez, who upgrades their offense and catching depth...........

Trade deadline winners and losers - Jon Heyman - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/08/01/winners.losers/index.html#?eref=T1)

No more kumbayah.

GraniteForge
02 Aug 08,, 11:13
I'm sorry to see this. Manny is a shooter, and an occasional customer at my local range. We get a fair amount of celebrities, but baseball players are rare.

Mobbme
04 Aug 08,, 03:38
LOS ANGELES (AP) -Chavez Ravine is rocking again on a daily basis - this time with Manny-mania.

Slugging All-Star Manny Ramirez flourished during his first three games with the Los Angeles Dodgers , and the balance of power in the NL West appears to have shifted in a dramatic way.

The 12-time All-Star and 2004 World Series MVP went 4-for-5 with a homer and three RBIs in a 9-3 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sunday. He is 8-for-13 with five RBIs in three games since Thursday's three-way trade with Boston and Pittsburgh.

''He certainly changes the personality of our lineup,'' manager Joe Torre said. ''That presence is going to help other people get better, because they're not going to want to pitch to Manny - especially with men on base. So it figures that the guys at the top of the lineup are going to get better pitches to hit.''

Curtain calls and chants of ''Man-ny! Man-ny!'' have quickly become commonplace at Dodger Stadium since Ramirez came over from the World Series champion Red Sox , who are paying off the remaining $7 million of Ramirez's 2008 salary.

''I really appreciate Manny being here, but I don't think he's our savior,'' second baseman Jeff Kent said. ''Everybody wants him to be - and, man, I hope he is. But we still have to pitch and we still have to play. Now that we're going to play with him, he'll make us better and we'll make him better.''

Kent may have a better perspective on the situation than most because he played with Barry Bonds in San Francisco. And Kent is not yet ready to put Ramirez in that class.

''Barry was a home-run threat every at-bat,'' Kent said. ''I mean, he hit 70 home runs in one year. Manny's not going to do that. ... Hopefully, it'll just be easier for us to score runs than before when it was such a nail-puling issue for us.''

Ramirez hit an RBI single in the first inning, doubled in a run in the second and went deep in the fifth for career homer No. 512, passing Mel Ott and moving into a tie with Eddie Mathews and Ernie Banks for 20th place.

His second home run with the Dodgers traveled an estimated 436 feet into the pavilion seats in left field on a 1-2 pitch from reliever Billy Buckner . It came one pitch after Ramirez ran out a grounder behind third base at full speed and had to take a slow walk back to the plate when the ball was ruled foul.

Ramirez capped his first four-hit game since June 1, 2007, with an infield single in the ninth and scored on a triple by Pablo Ozuna . Ramirez nearly made it out of the clubhouse before a swarm of media engulfed him about 30 feet from a clean getaway.

''They gave me a lot of good pitches to hit and I drove it,'' Ramirez said. ''I'm still nervous out there, but I'm going to play hard no matter what.''

Ramirez is even getting loud ovations for making the simplest of catches in left field - and when he strikes out.

''I didn't know whether or not to give Manny a high-five after he struck out in the seventh, because they were cheering him pretty good out there,'' Kent said. ''That just puts it in perspective. There is a lot of excitement going on right now with the fans.''

The Dodgers salvaged a split of the four-game series and sliced Arizona's division lead to one game. Matt Kemp , whose career-best 19-game hitting streak ended Saturday, had a homer and RBI single.

Jason Johnson lasted just 4 1-3 innings for Los Angeles and left with a 5-3 lead after surrendering a solo homer to Stephen Drew and a walk to Orlando Hudson . The right-hander, making his second spot start in place of Brad Penny , allowed five hits after pitching six scoreless innings in a 2-0 victory over San Francisco on Tuesday.

Penny will rejoin his teammates in St. Louis for the start of a six-game road swing. He hasn't pitched for the Dodgers since June 14 because of shoulder tendinitis and bursitis, but is scheduled to pitch Friday night at San Francisco.

Brian Falkenborg relieved Johnson and retired both batters he faced. Cory Wade (2-1) worked 1 2-3 innings to get the win.

Doug Davis (4-6) retired only five of the 13 batters he faced, allowing five runs and six hits over 1 2-3 innings. The left-hander was lifted after three straight two-out hits, including RBI singles by Kemp and Russell Martin and a run-scoring double to right-center by Ramirez.

Davis' outing matched his shortest since Aug. 31, 2004, with Milwaukee, when he was struck by a line drive off the bat of Pittsburgh's Tike Redman with none out in the second and left that game with a bruised left forearm.

''I didn't have control. And when I got it in the zone, they hit it hard,'' Davis said. ''I didn't do my job today, but I'll go out there again in five days and do my job.''

Notes: Umpire Kerwin Danley worked behind the plate at Dodger Stadium for the first time since his frightening injury on April 26, which left him unconscious for several moments and resulted in him being taken by ambulance to a hospital. The mishap occurred when C Martin was crossed up by Penny's fastball to Colorado's Garrett Atkins and the pitch slammed into Danley's facemask. ... Among the crowd of 52,972 was actor Hal Linden, the star of the 1970s TV sitcom classic ''Barney Miller.'' Organist Nancy Bea Hefley played ''Hey There,'' one of the songs Linden sang when he did the Broadway revival of ''Pajama Game'' in 1973.

MANNY!! MANNY!! MANNY!!

Albany Rifles
12 Aug 08,, 16:26
Been on vacation with no Interpipes so...

The Red Sox PLAYERS asked management to get rid of Ramirez. As I said earlier, he had quit on them.

Jason Bay is playing great, hitting well and fielding well.

gunnut
12 Aug 08,, 18:05
Manny is hitting something like .600 since coming to the Dodgers. Too bad the rest of the team stinks.

Albany Rifles
12 Aug 08,, 19:57
Jason Bay is hitting .321 w/ and OBP of almost .400, 12 RBI

Manny is hitting .413 w/ 13 RBIs....and ownder of wonder no sore knees. I guess he flew across country in a hypobaric chamber and got better!

gunnut
12 Aug 08,, 20:02
Or maybe getting away from Ted Kennedy and John Kerry helped.

Wait...we have our own moonbats, Feinstein and Boxer. So that couldn't be it.

Maybe the good weather helped. We have horrible taxes, regulations, earthquake, traffic, but at least our weather is not bad.:biggrin:

Mobbme
13 Sep 08,, 23:15
The trade has worked like magic for both teams. Dodgers are no. 1 in their division and Red Sox can't seem to lose, except to us :biggrin:

How bout them pesky Jays, eh? :)) We have 7 more games against the beloved Red Sox, if we win all, we're the wild card and Red Sox are out!

Albany Rifles
15 Sep 08,, 13:31
You're awfully quiet today!

We took 2 of 3 from you guys...and you are now 8.5 back in the Wild Card.:rolleyes:

So how'd that work out for ya?:))

Mobbme
15 Sep 08,, 23:05
I was at Niagara Falls in the casino, the scores came up and I started making noises, and a crowd came around me and my buddies, so then the Jays took game 1, we were like "HELL YEAHH! GO JAYZ GO!!" and then game 2 came, and there was silence everywhere.

The next day at home I checked the score and Jays lost another. Very disappointed my friend, very disappointed. So close, yet so far :redface:

Albany Rifles
16 Sep 08,, 13:57
9 back...Sox tied for first.:))

See ya in Toronto this week!!;)

BTW, the last time I was at the Falls was about 4 years ago. Took my brother on a battlefield tour of Lundy's Lane and Chippewa. I hope Chippewa is still preserved! Also took in Fort Erie (we used to belong to the skate club there when I was a kid in the late 1960s).

Mobbme
16 Sep 08,, 19:32
9 back...Sox tied for first.:))

See ya in Toronto this week!!;)

BTW, the last time I was at the Falls was about 4 years ago. Took my brother on a battlefield tour of Lundy's Lane and Chippewa. I hope Chippewa is still preserved! Also took in Fort Erie (we used to belong to the skate club there when I was a kid in the late 1960s).

I didn't even know there was a battlefield tour; definately going to check that out next time i'm there (this saturday).

I told all my buddies, the Red Sox just can't seem to lose, except to US. The Red Sox are so good, they've adjusted and now they're beating us.

I see Red Sox taking it again this year, but hey, where is Schilling and the Japanese pitcher? Sorry, but my baseball isn't 100% upto date

gunnut
17 Sep 08,, 01:24
I thought Schilling went to Arizona.

Bring on the Sox. The Angels will put them away and sit at home to await the Dodgers.

Albany Rifles
17 Sep 08,, 03:05
Schilling went on 60 day DL before the season..shoulder.

Career over.

Matsuzaka Won his 17th last night

Mobbme
18 Sep 08,, 00:58
Schilling went on 60 day DL before the season..shoulder.

Career over.

Matsuzaka Won his 17th last night

BoSox have too much pitching talent. So theres absolutely no way Schilling will be back come post season? Great :frown: I loved his style.

Mobbme
01 Oct 08,, 08:58
OMG Bosox vs LAA!!!!!!!!!

Man, i've never been this excited for MLB since the leafs got ottawa in first round in the playoffs!! Tame me Exarecr roflzzzz

For some reason, i'm predicting the red sox, and no ALBANY, im not making fun of the sox lol its just LAA is so good, but I still believe sox will out match em, sorry gunnut :eek:

Albany Rifles
01 Oct 08,, 15:58
I'd love to see my Sox win.

My 3 cent analysis?

We have to win one of the first two in LA and then win both in Boston, if not...we won't do it.

We need a healthy Lowell OR Drew. We can do without one of them but not both.

Pedroia, Crisp and Ellsbury have to burn up the base paths and Big Papi has to get some solid hits...doubles are fine.

Paplebon needs to get his head on right...Tek needs to call the series of his life.

Damn game doesn't come on tonight until after 10 PM tonight!!!

Herodotus
01 Oct 08,, 16:25
No offense to you Albany, but of the teams currently in the playoffs Boston would be last on my list to win the WS. They have won two WS in the last four years that's enough to tide Boston fans over for 170 years. I think it is the Cubs' turn this year-100 years of solitude...or at least suffering, or the Brewers, or the Rays, even the Phillies. Of course the BoSox winning is still much better than the Yankees. :))

Tagwyn
01 Oct 08,, 17:03
Bah!! As a disgruntled Rockies Fan, I must protest that the moneyheads in LA have bought themselves a pennant. Another curse: Curse of the ManRam!! Death to BoSox fans everywhere!! First the dump Ruth and now the best hitter in the American league!! Why not sent him to Seattle? Who cares if the players don't like him!!! Look at Bonds - nobody liked him!! Go Cubbies!! Keep Bartman out of the park!!! t

gunnut
01 Oct 08,, 18:51
I predict the Dodgers will be out of the run by Friday night.

Angels might have a good chance. Texiera really helped. Pitching is good. Middle relief is underated.

Mobbme
01 Oct 08,, 22:24
I predict the Dodgers will be out of the run by Friday night.

Angels might have a good chance. Texiera really helped. Pitching is good. Middle relief is underated.

Imagine a Dodger vs Red Sox finali? :eek:

That just might be bigger than a Red Sox vs Yankees series :))

Mobbme
01 Oct 08,, 22:27
No offense to you Albany, but of the teams currently in the playoffs Boston would be last on my list to win the WS. They have won two WS in the last four years that's enough to tide Boston fans over for 170 years. I think it is the Cubs' turn this year-100 years of solitude...or at least suffering, or the Brewers, or the Rays, even the Phillies. Of course the BoSox winning is still much better than the Yankees. :))

roflzzzz

I don't know, I just have a feeling Boston is going to whip some serious butt. They've got used to winning now, and when you're that confident you're basically unstoppable. We'll see how Bay performs in the playoffs.

Anyone has any updates on the BoSox pitching rotation?

Herodotus
02 Oct 08,, 00:08
roflzzzz

I don't know, I just have a feeling Boston is going to whip some serious butt. They've got used to winning now, and when you're that confident you're basically unstoppable. We'll see how Bay performs in the playoffs.

Anyone has any updates on the BoSox pitching rotation?

I have no doubt the BoSox have the ability to win the WS...it is just my desire to see another team win it...say a team that has been waiting longer than the Sox ever did. A Cubs-Rays Series would be excellent, so would a Cubs-White Sox Series, or an Angels-Dodgers (both with cross-town rivalry). The Phillies too since that city hasn't won a sports championship in over a hundred seasons (all four sports teams' seasons multiplied together). The Brewers have never won it and would be a great underdog to root for.

The BoSox winning again would be akin to a New York team. Boston, the city, almost won 3 of 4 team championships last year and have won 6 team championships in the last 28 seasons, (3 Pats, 2 Sox, 1 Celtics) so forgive me if I don't shed too many tears if Boston loses this season.

gunnut
02 Oct 08,, 00:31
There are 2 LA teams, 2 Chicago teams, and 2 Soxes in the playoffs. Both NY teams missed.

Mobbme
02 Oct 08,, 00:40
I have no doubt the BoSox have the ability to win the WS...it is just my desire to see another team win it...say a team that has been waiting longer than the Sox ever did. A Cubs-Rays Series would be excellent, so would a Cubs-White Sox Series, or an Angels-Dodgers (both with cross-town rivalry). The Phillies too since that city hasn't won a sports championship in over a hundred seasons (all four sports teams' seasons multiplied together). The Brewers have never won it and would be a great underdog to root for.

The BoSox winning again would be akin to a New York team. Boston, the city, almost won 3 of 4 team championships last year and have won 6 team championships in the last 28 seasons, (3 Pats, 2 Sox, 1 Celtics) so forgive me if I don't shed too many tears if Boston loses this season.

I hear ya, well, other teams are going to have to step up and make sure the city of Boston doesn't celebrate another ;)

I'm not a very enthusiastic MLB fan, but I don't know, this year -even without the yankees in the playoffs- this is so interesting. If the Dodgers get by first round, i'm going to watch the rest of their games @ a bar :)

Dodgers vs Red Sox = Billions of viewers worldwide

Mobbme
02 Oct 08,, 01:16
GRAND SLAM!!!!!! Dodgers up 4-2 WOO HOO!!!

Time for the Cubs to take out the DUmpster, err, I mean Dempster :biggrin:

Herodotus
02 Oct 08,, 01:34
:))
GRAND SLAM!!!!!! Dodgers up 4-2 WOO HOO!!!

Time for the Cubs to take out the DUmpster, err, I mean Dempster :biggrin:

I could live with a Dodgers World Series :)) ...a big vindication for Torre who was always a class act, and a big F.U. to the Steinbrenners.

Mobbme
02 Oct 08,, 02:21

I could live with a Dodgers World Series :)) ...a big vindication for Torre who was always a class act, and a big F.U. to the Steinbrenners.

Manny being Manny, is Manny being GREAT!!! He homered, what a HIT WOW... He truly is GODLIKEEEE

gunnut
02 Oct 08,, 04:46
Well...shut my mouth...Dodgers will see a game 4 this year.:eek:

Mobbme
02 Oct 08,, 07:29
Well...shut my mouth...Dodgers will see a game 4 this year.:eek:

Gunnut, who do you like more, the Dodgers or Angels?

Albany Rifles
02 Oct 08,, 14:35
I will admit, I didn't even expect Lester to pitch that well. Jacoby Ellsbury is just showing why the Sox have been so high on him and Jason Bay is doing his Jason being Manny routine.

Herodotus, I canunderstand your feelings but I hope you don't mind if I don't share them.:biggrin:

I don't know what Tagwyn got banned for but I would have done it just for that post.

And I have been telling my son don't get used to this...like this kid.

Herodotus
02 Oct 08,, 16:35
I will admit, I didn't even expect Lester to pitch that well. Jacoby Ellsbury is just showing why the Sox have been so high on him and Jason Bay is doing his Jason being Manny routine.

Herodotus, I canunderstand your feelings but I hope you don't mind if I don't share them.:biggrin:

I don't know what Tagwyn got banned for but I would have done it just for that post.

And I have been telling my son don't get used to this...like this kid.

Ah I am so jealous of that kid...I didn't experience my first team win until...well....I'll get back to you on that. I don't really object that much to the BoSox...maybe they deserve more after all the decades of rough treatment at the hands of the Yankees. A BoSox-Dodgers Series would be fun-the return of Manny and Nomar (everyone forgot about him). A fun postseason without the Yankees to be sure.

Yeah Tagwyn called for the death of all BoSox fans, truly sickening. And as for being a Rockies fan? Come on that guy doesn't know suffering, tsk, tsk.

gunnut
02 Oct 08,, 17:55
Gunnut, who do you like more, the Dodgers or Angels?

I think I have always been a Dodger fan first. Just like I am a Kings fan first. Let's not even mention the Lakers and the Clippers.

Albany Rifles
02 Oct 08,, 20:35
Don't forget Derek Lowe also.

I see you have DC as your location. Are you not from there? Because the Redskins do have those 3 Super Bowl trophies.

BTW, I went to high school there...ST John's on Military Road.

Herodotus
02 Oct 08,, 21:42
Don't forget Derek Lowe also.

I see you have DC as your location. Are you not from there? Because the Redskins do have those 3 Super Bowl trophies.

BTW, I went to high school there...ST John's on Military Road.

I live in DC now for grad school, and foreign policy jobs, but Dad was military so we travelled around a lot (actually spent half my life in Europe before I was 16...well you know how it is). But I consider the Pacific Northwest as home no. 1 (grandparents still live there, mom and dad are from there, lived there when Dad was stationed at Ft. Lewis) and well the M's and Seahawks are not exactly championship-caliber...Sonics (gone now) have won one championship but that was before my time, ditto for the Trail Blazers.

gunnut
02 Oct 08,, 21:45
I live in DC now for grad school, and foreign policy jobs, but Dad was military so we travelled around a lot (actually spent half my life in Europe before I was 16...well you know how it is). But I consider the Pacific Northwest as home no. 1 (grandparents still live there, mom and dad are from there, lived there when Dad was stationed at Ft. Lewis) and well the M's and Seahawks are not exactly championship-caliber...Sonics (gone now) have won one championship but that was before my time, ditto for the Trail Blazers.

At least you can cheer for M$ and Starbucks. :biggrin:

Mobbme
02 Oct 08,, 22:01
I think I have always been a Dodger fan first. Just like I am a Kings fan first. Let's not even mention the Lakers and the Clippers.

Cool,

you had them eliminated before friday night!!! Not good at all.

I'm really happy for Manny, and I know Albany has a soft spot for him, so its a win win situation for all of us :)

Mobbme
02 Oct 08,, 22:01
Dice K is up next, wow, he lost the fewest games I believe - 18-3 record roflzz, good luck "Angels" :))

Mobbme
03 Oct 08,, 04:57
Bottom of 7th, Dodgers up 7-1 hehe :)

gunnut
03 Oct 08,, 06:43
Saito couldn't get anyone out.

Broxton couldn't throw strikes.

Dodgers escaped with a 10-3 victory.

Mobbme
03 Oct 08,, 08:44
Saito couldn't get anyone out.

Broxton couldn't throw strikes.

Dodgers escaped with a 10-3 victory.

:P

Is it fair to say the Dodgers are the dark horse in the playoffs? Or is there another team, that i'm not aware of that has a better chance, yet is a bigger underdog?

Mobbme
05 Oct 08,, 22:11
ITS OVER ITS OVER, DODGERS ONTO NEXT ROUND... Manny's legacy just got better

Manny being Manny = Manny being great

If the Dodgers win the World Series, Manny will be the most sought after free agent EVER in baseball history.

gunnut
06 Oct 08,, 19:38
Hmmm...I guess Dodgers won't see a game 4 against the Cubs after all. :tongue:

Angels finally beat the Redsox in the post season for the first time in 22 years.

Mobbme
06 Oct 08,, 19:48
Hmmm...I guess Dodgers won't see a game 4 against the Cubs after all. :tongue:

haha, niceeeeeeee

Angels finally beat the Redsox in the post season for the first time in 22 years.

Yeah, but game 4 the Red Sox going to whip them back into place :))

Mobbme
09 Oct 08,, 02:31
Baseball's final four: Which team has the right stuff?

Story Highlights
Both LCS matchups have the potential to be seven-game specials
The guess here is that the Dodgers meet the Red Sox in the World Series

What's strange about baseball's final four is that there's one surprise entrant, and it's definitely not the previously perennially pathetic Tampa Bay Rays. No, the Rays played all year like they belonged with the best. And they do.

The shocker squad is the Dodgers, who spent the bulk of the season as a mediocre team in baseball's least impressive division yet emerged as a Cubbie conqueror in Round 1, thanks to Manny Ramirezand a lot more. The Dodgers now must be viewed as dangerous coming off their dismantling of the Cubs, who were the best team in the National League all year.

Both semifinal matchups have the potential to be seven-game specials after a dud of a division series round (Angels-Red Sox was the only series that really got interesting, but it needed one more game to really be considered a classic).

This round should be different. These two confrontations look like tossups. I see seven games times two. "Two classics,'' is the way baseball people are viewing this.

After much deliberation, thought and consideration, the guess here is that the Ramirez-led Dodgers squeak by the phabulous Phillies to meet the battle-tested and clutch, yet hobbling, Red Sox in the World Series.

Maybe it's a bit of wishful thinking for that delicious "Manny goes back to Boston'' storyline (plus Derek Lowe, Nomar Garciaparra and, to a lesser degree, Joe Torre), but that's the way I see it. At the moment, anyway.

Here's my assessment of the final four ...

Boston Red Sox
They aren't the Yankees of the late '90s -- at least not yet. Two more titles will give them four since 2004, matching their rivals' output from 1996-2000, and that possibility certainly shouldn't be discounted. Like those Yankees, these Red Sox have excellent starting pitching, a terrific anchor at the end of the pen and a band of scrappy win-at-all-costs players at their core. They didn't let their current diminished state deter them against a very strong Angels team. Tough to pick against them.

Assets
1. A nucleus composed of tough and focused players with their eyes on the prize: Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis and Jason Varitek.
2. Jon Lester, who's terrific, is a lot better than anyone thought (not to rub it in, but maybe the Twins should have taken him for Johan Santana when they had a chance.)
3. Josh Beckett, if healthy, is a proven playoff performer.
4. Jonathan Papelbon hasn't allowed a run in his postseason career over 19 2/3 innings.
5. David Ortiz, even in his diminished state, remains a threat.
6. Terry Francona is overlooked but superb.

Liabilities
1. Dependable third baseman Mike Lowell will miss the series with a bad hip.
2. Ortiz isn't himself lately.
3. It's hard to tell exactly how injured Beckett is.
4. J.D. Drew is nursing a stiff back.

Intangibles
1. They know how to win.
2. It isn't easy to repeat.

Go Dodgers go???!!!!

Albany Rifles
09 Oct 08,, 14:56
If this happens, be prepared for the Boston pitchers to pound the ball inside on Manny. Heck, they may even hit him once a twice to get into his head.

I'll keep Jason Bay.

dbivona
09 Oct 08,, 15:34
True, True, Manny is an unbelievable talent, but the most stubborn player out there today. If he doesn't get what he wants, acts as a 13 year old girl would. He starts to not show up to practice, refuses to play in games, and turns into a serious tumor for the Boston RedSox. I fully agree with what Tim McCarver has said about him in that what he pulled in Boston was "despicable." I would also take Jason Bay anyday. This guy is a stud (as far as playing the game goes) and I wish the best for him. GO REDSOX!

Mobbme
09 Oct 08,, 20:42
If this happens, be prepared for the Boston pitchers to pound the ball inside on Manny. Heck, they may even hit him once a twice to get into his head.

I'll keep Jason Bay.

ohh come on, you really think they'd try to hit Manny? I think if they're not going to pitch to him properly, they'll walk him.

I'm predicting 1 billion viewers worldwide if that match up happens.

gunnut
13 Oct 08,, 08:10
I guess Dodgers will see a game 5 in this series.

Mobbme
13 Oct 08,, 10:21
Manny is HOT! see the way he SNAPPED??!!! Wowweeeeeee, Dodgers are the hottest team in the league right now, their stock just went up 300%

Mobbme
13 Oct 08,, 10:26
I guess Dodgers will see a game 5 in this series.

Dodgers are going to finals baby.

gunnut
13 Oct 08,, 17:30
Dodgers are going to finals baby.

I hope you're right. And I also hope they will win it. It's been too long since the Dodgers won the World Series.

Mobbme
14 Oct 08,, 00:36
I hope you're right. And I also hope they will win it. It's been too long since the Dodgers won the World Series.

It'll be amazing. Hey, you think Dodgers will retain ManRam after the playoffs? I heard something about him finishing his career in Toronto.

Mobbme
14 Oct 08,, 09:26
Unbelievable game, can't believe how exciting baseball has become.

Too bad we (dodgers) lost tonight :(

Albany Rifles
14 Oct 08,, 13:35
My Red Sox are killing me....:mad:

Mobbme
15 Oct 08,, 00:28
8th inning of the dodgers game was B.S. The umpires man, pi$$ed me off

And we thought the league wanted red sox vs dodgers :mad:

Mobbme
15 Oct 08,, 02:39
Boy oh boy, Red Sox are already in a deep hole lol

gunnut
15 Oct 08,, 04:53
8th inning of the dodgers game was B.S. The umpires man, pi$$ed me off

And we thought the league wanted red sox vs dodgers :mad:

Dodgers thought the ump was squeezing the zone on them.

Mobbme
16 Oct 08,, 15:01
A mess of a game. Not only are the Anaheim ducks 0-4 this season, the Dodgers are out.

I hope ManRam comes back to L.A Dodgers and they win next year UNLESS the blue jays of a chance. Great, i'm looking forward to the next season of BASEBALL, thats how bad its become in Leaf land.

Mobbme
16 Oct 08,, 15:02
Lets see if the world famous "comebackers" Red Sox come back lol

Dreadnought
16 Oct 08,, 15:04
Lets see if the world famous "comebackers" Red Sox come back lol

Would love to see TB and Boston go all the way to the end. Beat the snot out of each other and then have to face Philadelphia. Were waiting for you.:))

Mobbme
17 Oct 08,, 06:21
Would love to see TB and Boston go all the way to the end. Beat the snot out of each other and then have to face Philadelphia. Were waiting for you.:))

!!!! You're right on Dreadnought, SOX came back OMG, last I checked they were down 5-0 in the 6th inning, so I was like ok they're out, and now I checked the score and they won 8-7 :eek::eek:

Go Sox Go??!!

Wheres Albany, I bet he's drunk somewhere

Southie
17 Oct 08,, 13:12
I couldn't believe they came back the way they did! Someone put a "Go Rays" sign in our front yard last night. The whole neighborhood knows my husband is a HUGE RED SOX FAN! Hmmm...wonder if it might have jinxed the Rays! :biggrin:

Mobbme
17 Oct 08,, 13:14
I couldn't believe they came back the way they did! Someone put a "Go Rays" sign in our front yard last night. The whole neighborhood knows my husband is a HUGE RED SOX FAN! Hmmm...wonder if it might have jinxed the Rays! :biggrin:

Hahah, yeah I believe it did. The bad luck also coulda came with Albany Rifles praying and doing all that black magic on the Rays while he was drunk out of his mind last night roflzzz :))

Albany Rifles
20 Oct 08,, 14:03
1. I was not drunk the other night, or any other night this weekend.

2. Tip of the hat to the Devil Rays.

3. Wait until next year!!!

4. At least I can get to bed at a decent hour for now on...oh, wait, the Patriots are on Monday Night Football!

Mobbme
21 Oct 08,, 21:40
1. I was not drunk the other night, or any other night this weekend.

hahahha :tongue:

2. Tip of the hat to the Devil Rays.

Giddy up!

3. Wait until next year!!!

Yankees.

4. At least I can get to bed at a decent hour for now on...oh, wait, the Patriots are on Monday Night Football!

They finally won last night, and I hope they keep it up. A Brady-less team doesn't sound too exciting to me, but whatever, go Pats go!

Mobbme
21 Oct 08,, 21:43
I'm eager to see who ManRam signs with. Hope its L.A or Toronto, hey, even if he ends up back in Beantown i'd be happy for him :)

Mobbme
27 Oct 08,, 13:17
1 game to go, Phillies wowww :eek:

Dreadnought
27 Oct 08,, 17:31
If they win tonight and close out the World Series this city is going to erupt!

Thinking back to the eighties!:)):cool:

gunnut
27 Oct 08,, 18:48
If they win tonight and close out the World Series this city is going to erupt!

Thinking back to the eighties!:)):cool:

When Mike "I'd like to buy a vowel in my last name" Schmidt was the most feared hitter in baseball?

How good was he? I didn't follow baseball back then.

Mobbme
27 Oct 08,, 23:53
I believe there hasn't been a championship team in Philidelphia for the longest time, not sure but in hockey/basketball they always mention it. It's going to be awesome for them to finally win a championship :)

Albany Rifles
28 Oct 08,, 14:00
Last team was the 1980s Phillies.

Oh, and Mike Schmidt was one hell of a ballplayer and a fearsome hitter.

Mobbme
28 Oct 08,, 21:22
Ohh, they always say it like 200+ years combined there hasn't been a championship team.

PLAY SUSPENDED DUE TO RAIN!!! My buddy and myself have a wager going, if the Phillies win he'll have to do a whole lot of push ups, I already lost the Dodgers bet so I have to do 25 push ups, which I can do; he won't be able to do 20 push ups and if he can't finish them i'm allowed to hit him and do elbow drops on him until he finishes roflzzzz

Go Phillies Go!! :))

Dreadnought
28 Oct 08,, 21:57
GAME SUSPENDED until tommorw night at 8:30.

%%$$#$#@$%^^&! @%$^&$#$&**(!!!:redface:

Mobbme
30 Oct 08,, 09:43
Phinally! Party time in Philadelphia

Congrats to the boyz in red and white :)

Dreadnought
30 Oct 08,, 15:48
Phinally! Party time in Philadelphia

Congrats to the boyz in red and white :)

PHILLY WINS! PHILLY WINS!:cool::cool::cool:

WHAT A CITY!:redface:

Southie
30 Oct 08,, 16:17
Congrats to the Philly's!

I'm proud of the Ray's for making it as far as they did! :biggrin:

Albany Rifles
30 Oct 08,, 18:40
Wonder what the damage was?

Mobbme
12 Dec 08,, 22:46
After Signing CC Sabathia to an estimated 7 year $161 million deal, Yankees just picked up A.J Burnett for 5 years.

Looks like its going to be a good year in the Big Apple

gunnut
12 Dec 08,, 22:57
After Signing CC Sabathia to an estimated 7 year $161 million deal, Yankees just picked up A.J Burnett for 5 years.

Looks like its going to be a good year in the Big Apple

Are the Yankees the best team money can buy?

Mobbme
13 Dec 08,, 04:52
Are the Yankees the best team money can buy?

Not sure if they're done spending $$$ yet. I'd say Red Sox is the answer to your question right now

S2
13 Dec 08,, 05:13
Starting staff gutted. Sheets won't be offered and, despite extrodinary talent, good riddance. Great fastball and curve but never showed when it mattered. Great first half and fell apart, on cue, when Sabathia showed.

The dude is manly. Logged serious innings in our run to the playoffs. Should have been a no-brainer except for Sheets crumbling in the second half.

Yanks ARE, again, the best money can buy. Gonna get Cameron from us to play center too so they're still not done.

Herodotus
13 Dec 08,, 05:30
Yankees are almost impossible to compete against with their revenue streams; Wang, Sabathia, Burnett, maybe Pettite-4 potential 20 game winners...with A-Rod on offense. Still they haven't won a WS since 2000 so all is not lost.

S-2,

Starting staff gutted.

What about Suppan, or Bush? I wouldn't worry too much about missing Cameron, the guy was a 20-25 home run 160-strike out guy. And don't the Brewers have Tony Gwynn's son?

S2
13 Dec 08,, 07:10
Superb condition for his age and possibly still the best defensive center fielder in baseball.

We lose more, maybe, than the Yanks gain.

Gwynn will get his shot this spring but it's now or never IMHO for him to avoid the perpetual tag of reserve. Better body doesn't make up for daddy's fat azz but world-class eye.

Albany Rifles
15 Dec 08,, 15:29
A-Rod = Mr April

Mobbme
15 Dec 08,, 17:18
Wonder where ManRam's going to end up.

Yankees or Dodgers?? :confused:

gunnut
22 Dec 08,, 19:17
Angels just lost Mark Texiera. Shame. The guy was the only one who showed up against Boston in the playoffs.

gunnut
27 Feb 09,, 23:09
Ramirez rejects Dodgers' 4th offer.

This latest offer was for $25 million the first year and a player-optional $20 million 2nd year. If a season ending injury should occur in the first year, the 2nd year is automatically guaranteed.

If I were the Dodgers, I would spend this money elsewhere. Manny is a good player, but too much baggages along with his agent Boras.

Mobbme
27 Feb 09,, 23:49
Boras had rejected it, and now he just proposed the same contract offer lol

But the one dodgers had offered somehow deferred money which would've only been 43 mill or something. Now, they want actual 45 million. So i'm assuming the deal will be made.

Shek
28 Feb 09,, 21:41
From back last Oct:

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/index.php/2008/10/is-manny-worth-150-million/

Is Manny Worth $150 Million?
October 16, 2008 By: JC Category: General, Moneyball

Tim Dierkes links to a few stories stating that Scott Boras is floating the potential of a six-year, $150 million deal for Manny Ramirez.

Projecting the value of a player Mannyís age is somewhat difficult, because we donít have a good sample for estimating age effects. Yes, many players have played past their 40th birthday, but many more players have hung up their spikes so that we canít see how they would have played. And in most cases, many of those players were no longer capable of playing at the major-league level. I think the biggest danger to signing older players is that they are more likely to be permanently hobbled by an injury, and have no financial incentive to rehab the injury to get back on the field. But, Iíll take a stab at it using a continuous aging curve based on an increasing decline in performance.

For the next six years, I estimate Manny to be worth about $128 million, which is just over $21 million per year. I like Manny, and I enjoyed watching him play in person for the Triple-A Charlotte Knights. He is truly a gifted hitter who will go into the Hall of Fame, and I think he has plenty of good baseball left in him. However, I cannot see any team shelling out $150 million over the next six years. Even if he remains healthy, heís not worth it. And, there is a decent chance that age force him to quit playing before the contract would be up. I think four years at $80 million is about the best deal he can hope for, and consider that to be just an educated guess.

Freeloader
02 Mar 09,, 04:57
To think I was actually starting to like the Red Sox, sheesh, good luck winning another championship you dope heads!

I know this is an old post, but do you feel any more foolish several months later considering the current circumstances?

I'm a diehard Sox fan and I see the local news here all the time. He was a distraction, yet a good player. It was believed he wanted out since boras convinced him he could actually do better than the $20 million option years Boston had on him. Plus he got word Theo wasn't interested in him for $20 million a year. So he didn't "get traded" as much as people thought, it was something both sides did not want, and yet, very much wanted, to happen.

Scott Boras is having a horrible year, has managed to mess up several signings this off season. Manny still hasn't signed is bot ha money issue and that Manny doesn't want to do spring training.

Mobbme
02 Mar 09,, 13:53
I know this is an old post, but do you feel any more foolish several months later considering the current circumstances?

I'm a diehard Sox fan and I see the local news here all the time. He was a distraction, yet a good player. It was believed he wanted out since boras convinced him he could actually do better than the $20 million option years Boston had on him. Plus he got word Theo wasn't interested in him for $20 million a year. So he didn't "get traded" as much as people thought, it was something both sides did not want, and yet, very much wanted, to happen.

Scott Boras is having a horrible year, has managed to mess up several signings this off season. Manny still hasn't signed is bot ha money issue and that Manny doesn't want to do spring training.

Foolish? I think you're foolish to still think Manny was such a big distraction you had to get rid of him. If you guys had "manned" up and signed him to an extension, he would've played tremendously. Did you not see his numbers in L.A? You'd be a fool to think he's a washed up player. Does he deserve 25 million a year? You bet he does; singlehandedly brought the Dodgers into the playoffs and actually won a dham series. 2 years for 45-50 mill is good, I wouldn't sign him for more than that unless its 20 mill a year.

How does it feel to be out of the playoffs? And you probably won't make the playoffs this year as well, chap ;)

Albany Rifles
09 Mar 09,, 14:05
Okay, so if he is such a great player, where was all of the teams beating a path to his door?

Others teams, and players, saw that Ramirez quit on his team mates. He went to the only place which would take him at that price range. Maybe the Giants would have bit at $15 - 18 million a year.

Oh, and the Red Sox will be just fine this year. How do you think the Blue Jays will fear?:rolleyes:

Shek
09 Mar 09,, 15:53
Okay, so if he is such a great player, where was all of the teams beating a path to his door?

Others teams, and players, saw that Ramirez quit on his team mates. He went to the only place which would take him at that price range. Maybe the Giants would have bit at $15 - 18 million a year.

Oh, and the Red Sox will be just fine this year. How do you think the Blue Jays will fear?:rolleyes:

The problem is the recession other sports are feeling an attendance pinch and so in this time of uncertainty, he's not a sure thing in terms of value.

Mobbme
09 Mar 09,, 22:37

Still sour for not making the championship? Don't worry big guy, it won't happen now either, especially not for a long time.

Ramirez made up his mind, he was going to the Dodgers; he signed with them a few days ago.

Blue Jays will be fine. I do wonder though, how the Yankees and RedSox would fair if they had similar payrolls to the Blue Jays ;)

Albany Rifles
09 Mar 09,, 23:02
Still sour for not making the championship? Don't worry big guy, it won't happen now either, especially not for a long time.

Ramirez made up his mind, he was going to the Dodgers; he signed with them a few days ago.

Blue Jays will be fine. I do wonder though, how the Yankees and RedSox would fair if they had similar payrolls to the Blue Jays ;)

1. I grew up a Red Sox fan....winning the AL East...and the Yankees not making the playoffs is just fine!

2. Ramirez got the only offer he was going to get. He is a hitter savant...but I ownder when his lack of fielding skills will start to show up.

3. How did the Red Sox do before the big pay roll? Go back and look at the 1960s-1990s. Its why I am glad John Henry bought the team.

Mobbme
10 Mar 09,, 04:35
1. I grew up a Red Sox fan....winning the AL East...and the Yankees not making the playoffs is just fine!

Agreed. But Yankees will definately win this year.

2. Ramirez got the only offer he was going to get. He is a hitter savant...but I ownder when his lack of fielding skills will start to show up.

As much as anyone knows, no one relies on his outfielding. He's had flashes of greatness on the field, but overall he's not a great outfielder. I believe his batting makes up for it though, don't you agree? Ramirez got the offer he wanted, not the only one he was going to get. He could've signed anywhere else for less, but he's a god in L.A, so he shall stayeth in thereth.

3. How did the Red Sox do before the big pay roll? Go back and look at the 1960s-1990s. Its why I am glad John Henry bought the team.

Red Sox never won before the big pay roll. How long ago was it since they won a championship? Almost a full century. I wouldn't really call them a "model franchise." Winning the pendant or even going to the world series is fine enough, but choking and choking in the finals is hardly what i'd call a successful team.

Bosox won with Manny in the lineup, lets see if they can win without him.

Albany Rifles
10 Mar 09,, 16:05
Agreed. But Yankees will definately win this year.

Ready to put some money on that statement?;)

As much as anyone knows, no one relies on his outfielding. He's had flashes of greatness on the field, but overall he's not a great outfielder. I believe his batting makes up for it though, don't you agree? Ramirez got the offer he wanted, not the only one he was going to get. He could've signed anywhere else for less, but he's a god in L.A, so he shall stayeth in thereth.

So long as he wasn't a clubhouse disruption. But he became a club house distraction, Plus the Red Sox have changed the way they play....pitching and defense over long ball.

Following up wiht that, let me pose you a question....do you think Terrell Owens has been an asset everywhere he has played?

Red Sox never won before the big pay roll. How long ago was it since they won a championship? Almost a full century. I wouldn't really call them a "model franchise." Winning the pendant or even going to the world series is fine enough, but choking and choking in the finals is hardly what i'd call a successful team.
Bosox won with Manny in the lineup, lets see if they can win without him.

1. You got part of my point. You have to spend money to make money. They are now printing money on Yawkey Way.

2. The Red Sox were succesful....in streaks While they did not win the Series they would be competitive. And as much as they tore out my heart I would rather have had that amount of success than none at all. Ask the fans in Kansas City, Seattle, San Francisco, Houston and Washington if they wouldn't mind the kind of "failure" the Sox have had prior to 2004. I think it would have been a resounding yes.

Mobbme
17 Mar 09,, 07:00
If the Yankees don't win in their first year in the new stadium they will be officially referred to by me as The Choke Artists.

S2
17 Mar 09,, 08:22
1967. Yaz, Petrocelli, Conig, Lonborg. Good team. Better Gibson. Tony C. got beaned that August and that really was the capper later in the series. Needed his bat bad.

Albany Rifles
17 Mar 09,, 18:29
1967. Yaz, Petrocelli, Conig, Lonborg. Good team. Better Gibson. Tony C. got beaned that August and that really was the capper later in the series. Needed his bat bad.

Couldn't agree more.

I cired SOOOO hard when Tony C got beaned....and I still HATE the Cardinals! Felt good to get some revenge in 2004!

S2
18 Mar 09,, 08:24
Couldn't agree more. Took my Brewers in seven in 1982 and beat my Yanks in 1964 in seven.

First series I shared with my dad. Eight years old and listened to it on the AFN in Budingen. Two great teams. One getting better. The other at the absolute end of an incredible era of dominance.

Gibson again.

He was a man's man on the mound. I loved Marichal and Drysdale but the only guy in my mind that put FEAR in hitters as bad or worse than Koufax was big bad Bob and his blazer.

Mobbme
07 May 09,, 18:44
When everything was going BEYOND perfect, this happens:

Story Highlights
Manny Ramirez tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug
Major League Baseball banned him for 50 games, effective immediately
A source said the drug was not a steroid, but clearly a banned substance

and this is what he had to say

-
"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons."

Manny Ramirez tests positive for drug, suspended 50 games - MLB - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/07/manny/index.html?cnn=yes)

Mobbme
08 May 09,, 00:28
This just in,

Ramirez's drug used to stimulate testosterone - MLB - Yahoo! Canada Sports (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-ramirezsuspension050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

gunnut
27 May 09,, 22:17
Dodgers are doing pretty well without Manny.

What's wrong with this picture? Dodgers' 8th hitter leads the team in HR and RBI, and has a .300 batting average.

Mobbme
27 May 09,, 22:26
Dodgers are doing pretty well without Manny.

What's wrong with this picture? Dodgers' 8th hitter leads the team in HR and RBI, and has a .300 batting average.

I'm sure Manny had a lot to do with everyone getting on board to winning. Its really sad to see this guy fkk himself up like this.

Blue Jays were in first place, then they lost 7 in a row lol

Mobbme
04 Jul 09,, 07:52
Manny's back, and Dodgers win.

Dodgers are rated number 1 in the league :eek:

And that was during Manny's suspension :eek:

Mobbme
10 Jul 09,, 10:25
How bout them dodgers?

Albany, where are you? Boston's in first aswell, will we see a matchup in the playoffs?