X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | NZ judge orders 'odd' name change

NZ judge orders 'odd' name change
    Judge Rob Murfitt said that the name embarrassed the nine-year-old and could expose her to teasing.

He attacked a trend of giving children bizarre names, citing several examples.

Officials had blocked Sex Fruit, Keenan Got Lucy and Yeah Detroit, he said, but Number 16 Bus Shelter, Violence and Midnight Chardonnay had been allowed.

One mother wanted to name her child O.crnia using text language, but was later persuaded to use Oceania, he said.

'Social handicap'

The ruling, in the city of New Plymouth on the North Island, was handed down in February but only made public now.

The name issue emerged during a custody hearing for the young girl - who had refused to tell her friends her name and went simply by "K".

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," Judge Murfitt wrote.

"It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii's name has now been changed and the custody case resolved, court officials said.

New Zealand does not allow names that would cause offence or that are longer than 100 characters, Registrar-General Brian Clarke said.

Officials often tried to talk parents out of particularly unusual choices that could embarrass their offspring, the Associated Press news agency quoted him as saying.
    Not the first time it happened in Kiwiland, one of my mates from NZ told me his cousin wanted to name his son "4real" but the courts blocked the attempt as well. So they settled for Shakur.

D1ckheads is an appropriate name tho.

Comment

my parents baptized me on this name which translates into Lucifer (without their knowing, but when I told them they found it rather fitting..)

Comment

Working...
      X